Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Throttle/Automatic Transmission Reset

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
syyzed

Post by syyzed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 am

Hi Guys,

I've been experiencing a few throttle and gearbox response issues with my zed of late. I have a feeling the previous owner may not have driven it with quite as much vigour as I like to :driving:

I have heard about Throttle and Transmission reset procedures for a few BMW's including the E85 and I was just wondering if anybody has done this or have any experience of doing this on the E89? :thumbsup:
E89 Z4 2.8i M Sport.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:37 pm

There are write ups everywhere (ignition on, don’t start, full throttle for 30 secs, ignition off, release pedal, wait 2 mins and restart) but I’ve tried it and it’s a placebo imo, it’s never made any notable difference.

How do I know? Because I now have MHD and other tools that allow a proper reset at a module level. That does make a vast difference.

syyzed

Post by syyzed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks, I've read the write up's and was considering trying it out, but given your feedback sounds like it may not be worth with time. Just googled that MHD tool you mention and it looks great! (shame I don't have an N54/N55)

Do you know if such a thing/tool which allows for module reset exists for N20 engine (2.8i)? :thumbsup:
E89 Z4 2.8i M Sport.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:25 pm

I think the only tool that can do a proper transmission adaptation reset is INPA or ISTA.

There is an option in MHD for it but I'm not sure what it does exactly. I know it certainly doesn't reset the clutch wear adaptations in the DCT box as this requires a very detailed drive cycle and procedure to re-adapt.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:25 pm I think the only tool that can do a proper transmission adaptation reset is INPA or ISTA.

There is an option in MHD for it but I'm not sure what it does exactly. I know it certainly doesn't reset the clutch wear adaptations in the DCT box as this requires a very detailed drive cycle and procedure to re-adapt.
Yes MHD is throttle reset only. DCT adaptation is as you say, a bit more involved.

syyzed

Post by syyzed » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like its not really going to be worth the effort.
E89 Z4 2.8i M Sport.