Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to me 35iS pics

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

New to me 35iS pics

Post by Smartbear » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 am

Busterboo wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 am
Hunter wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:51 pm
Busterboo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 pm How long will the runflats take to wear to a point that you're willing the dump them? 10k miles? 15? 20?

That a lot of waste of good driving time and, indeed, of a very good car.
Like I say, I don’t think the ride is bad, I suppose it’s what you are used to.. my last two cars, 911 c4s 997 and the Tuscan where both much harsher than the z, maybe if I had come from a c class I would think differently but for now the z is spot on.
It's not a matter of harshness, but of performance. :)

Search the forum and you'll find a large number of posts on the topic. Many say the same thing: you'll never know how good the Z4 is until you dump the runflats.
Ignoring the comfort/performance side, I’d be more worried the rf tyres will crack those lovely 326 wheels. It’s not “if” but “when” unfortunately :(
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

AnubisZed

New to me 35iS pics

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am

Hunter, nice looking Z you have there and a perfect colour combo, but then I'm biased :thumbsup: 8)
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Hunter

New to me 35iS pics

Post by Hunter » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 am

Hunter wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:51 pm
Busterboo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 pm How long will the runflats take to wear to a point that you're willing the dump them? 10k miles? 15? 20?

That a lot of waste of good driving time and, indeed, of a very good car.
Like I say, I don’t think the ride is bad, I suppose it’s what you are used to.. my last two cars, 911 c4s 997 and the Tuscan where both much harsher than the z, maybe if I had come from a c class I would think differently but for now the z is spot on.

Search the forum and you'll find a large number of posts on the topic. Many say the same thing: you'll never know how good the Z4 is until you dump the runflats.
Lol this is my 2nd e89. and 4th z.. the others I swapped out the run flats.... all I’m saying is I have brand new tyres on.. I don’t think the change in ride is worth the expense of abandoning 4 perfectly good tyres for. I won’t be driving it like a race car to need performance grip in the twisties, if I did I’d of got a cayman or a ttrs,,,,I won’t be drag racing it or I’d off kept the TVR... I just want a fast stylish sporting GT that can do most things well. The change in tyres will come, when the rfs are worn. The Z isn’t a car that is exceptional at any one thing, other cars beat it... but what it does is be good at everything were as other cars are more focused in one or two areas and poor in others, the z isn’t poor at anything...I really like the z as it is, I’m in no rush to make changes that cost me unnecessarily.. when the expense becomes unavoidable then the changes will be made.
E89 S Drive 35iS

eff1guy

New to me 35iS pics

Post by eff1guy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:40 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 am Ignoring the comfort/performance side, I’d be more worried the rf tyres will crack those lovely 326 wheels. It’s not “if” but “when” unfortunately :(
Rob
+ more than 1 Rob and £615.00 a piece :cry: the run flats can always be sold on. Looks a stunning car though OP I must say, one of my favourite colour combo's. I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way :driving:
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

Silverzedtom

New to me 35iS pics

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:45 am

Looks great - enjoy!
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Busterboo

New to me 35iS pics

Post by Busterboo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Hunter wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 am
Hunter wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:51 pm Like I say, I don’t think the ride is bad, I suppose it’s what you are used to.. my last two cars, 911 c4s 997 and the Tuscan where both much harsher than the z, maybe if I had come from a c class I would think differently but for now the z is spot on.

Lol this is my 2nd e89. and 4th z.. the others I swapped out the run flats.... all I’m saying is I have brand new tyres on.. I don’t think the change in ride is worth the expense of abandoning 4 perfectly good tyres for. I won’t be driving it like a race car to need performance grip in the twisties, if I did I’d of got a cayman or a ttrs,,,,I won’t be drag racing it or I’d off kept the TVR... I just want a fast stylish sporting GT that can do most things well. The change in tyres will come, when the rfs are worn. The Z isn’t a car that is exceptional at any one thing, other cars beat it... but what it does is be good at everything were as other cars are more focused in one or two areas and poor in others, the z isn’t poor at anything...I really like the z as it is, I’m in no rush to make changes that cost me unnecessarily.. when the expense becomes unavoidable then the changes will be made.
So, actually, you know more about Zs than most of us.
Vidi, vici, veni

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

New to me 35iS pics

Post by Lynchy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Love the new motor :thumbsup:

ZedConvert

New to me 35iS pics

Post by ZedConvert » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Busterboo, so what’s the preferred option on an E89, with limited boot space, with NRFs so you’re not caught short in the case of a flat?

Hunter

New to me 35iS pics

Post by Hunter » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:45 pm
Hunter wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 am
Busterboo wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 am It's not a matter of harshness, but of performance. :)

So, actually, you know more about Zs than most of us.
I know more than some, less than others about Zs. I know I can compare it with cars I have owned from a unique stand point. I know that most people join forums because they have had a problem with their car and are looking for an answer that is cheaper than a main dealer one. Any bad or weak point about a car gets exaggerated on forums because for every 10 people that have a particular fault and come to a forum for advice there are 100 that don't have that fault. I joined the forum as much for the banter as anything else, and this forum not only has incredible knowledge reserves but the best joke section of any forum I have visited.
E89 S Drive 35iS

Busterboo

New to me 35iS pics

Post by Busterboo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:41 pm

ZedConvert wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:19 pm Busterboo, so what’s the preferred option on an E89, with limited boot space, with NRFs so you’re not caught short in the case of a flat?
I don't know. The only puncture I've had on my E89 was a 6" bolt that ripped a new rear tyre to shreds and no tyre would have survived it or puncture-repair-kit-in-the-boot helped.

Anyway, I carry the best I can. Two cans of Tyreweld, an AA mini-compressor and an AA membership number. In reality, the only one I have any faith in is the number.

(Even if I carried a spare wheel, I'd call the AA. I have safer things to do with my life than change wheels by the side of the road.)
Vidi, vici, veni