Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

23i versus 30i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

23i versus 30i

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am

I think this is getting slightly away from the what the original post was all about.
Obviously if money was no object everybody would buy the 35is as its the most powerful, but this is about whether or not there is another option instead of the 30i.
Everybody and their dog knows that the 23i is almost at the bottom of the heap powerwise and was the base engine model when launched.
Maybe the OP doesn't want a turbo model with all the troubles that go with it. The 35is and 35i for instance seems to have way more problems than any other model, mostly with the fuelling system/ injectors etc.
Not saying that other models don't have problems but on here it seems to be mostly those models.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

23i versus 30i

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 am

clarker63 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:33 am
Nictrix wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:51 pm We have a 23i and have owned it for 5 years next month.
We have not driven any of the other engine sizes so are quite happy with what we have. (except a short test drive in an E85 a couple of years before)
Its not the quickest but when you are not comparing it to anything else its fine and speed is not really why we bought it in the first place.
We keep looking at slightly newer 35is models but really cannot get over paying close to an additional £10k for the same car with a more powerful engine.
The problem with the 30i is that there doesnt seem to be many around.
What Mr Wilks says may be correct with the 2.0 turbo engines but we liked the smoothness of the 6 cylinder.
Totally agree here. I have the 2.3i, and am very happy with it. Unlike the bigger engined cars its not going to cost the earth to fix (unless the roof goes wrong), and I value my licence! Having had 2 s2000 and honda fireblades in my 40's, I was worried that I would find the 2.3i slow, but I didn't. Whilst I keep looking out for a 3.5is, I can't justify the extra cost at the moment. Maybe in a few years when its more like £5k for the same car, but until then, to me its not worth the money.
I have a 2006 R1 that does over 100 in first gear and 0-60 under 3 seconds and the speed or acceleration of the 23i doesn't bother me one bit.
On a couple of the forum runs I only felt it was lacking in power a few times and one of them was climbing through Aviemore where the more powerful engine cars could pull away easily up the hills.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

JamiesZ4

23i versus 30i

Post by JamiesZ4 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 am

I've got a 3.0 E89 and find it quick enough, especially switched to sport+. I've previously owned the first generation Z4, 330ci, M3 (E36 and E46) and find the E89 3.0 with a 0-60 in 6 seconds is no slouch and like others have mentioned without any associated turbo related issues but still with the straight six engine. I also did the remap thing (I know, I know it's naturally aspirated, but still) so putting out about 278bhp which is plenty enough for me.

I live on the boarders of Kent/South East London and to be honest normal speed locally is about 18mph everywhere (being commuter belt land) so needing a car like the 35i/is that can hit 60 in under 5 seconds and costs £10K more secondhand than my normally aspirated model just seems pointless :-)

Whilst not having tried a 23i on paper at least their doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the 23i and 3.0i.

Interesting (if brief) review of the 23i - https://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/6790/bmw- ... -0-60-time
Current - E89 Z4 SDrive 3.0i - last of the normally aspirated six cylinders
Gone - E85 Z4 2.2 SE

gov

23i versus 30i

Post by gov » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:42 am

I have driven a 30i and now having tried the 23i to me there is a marked difference - as in the official review the 30i responds with less effort similar to my old E85 3.0SE compared to the E85 2.5 which I also tried before getting the 3.0 SE.

My problem is I'm freakishly tall so am restricted to what I can fit in comfortably - my friend has a guards red 3.2S Boxster than goes like a bullet and a sound to die for but whilst I can squeeze in to the passenger seat it's virtually impossible to get in to the drivers side :( the zed is the only roadster that I can fit in to - Merc's are for old men (oops I'm 70 next month ) but come in Auto anyway.

Rathean

23i versus 30i

Post by Rathean » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:11 am

john-e89 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:44 amDon’t be TOO noisy when you finally get through the bends and knock on my window will you please.....I’ll be in a VERY deep sleep....... :poke: :evil: :wink: :wink:
Just you wait for the straight bits :rofl: :driving:
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

wu_swordsman

23i versus 30i

Post by wu_swordsman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:16 am

My experience with my Manual 3.0i over other engines.

Pros
- the engine note sounds incredible (smooth)
- the exhaust note sounds incredible when hooning (Smooth)
- the engine under the bonnet looks beautiful
- it's no slouch at 0-60 in 5.5
- motorway driving is a pleasure with overtaking quick (point and shoot)
- the naturally aspired straight six with its progressive smooth power is a wonder through bends
- Its controllable power
- The Manual + Smooth power makes it more of an "experience" to drive which adds to the driving pleasure.
- no turbos and less complications to break under the bonnet
- 22mpg around town and upto 36mpg motorway driving (which is a good happy medium)

Cons
- its slower than a 35i (Obviously)
- benefits from the 18bhp remap to smooth out blackspots (especially when pulling away)

...other than that...no other cons. The only reason I would have gone for the 35i would be for the forced induction and speed...but having experienced the 35i, M4, the 140i and 240i....yes they are fast but in bursts. The speed isnt controllable other than in a straight line, you're on deaths door everytime you hit the accelerator and mpg is insane at times, as low as 12mpg round town and 27mpg motorway (at a push).

A roadster is about the sound and the experience, I find I get that more from the 3.0i naturally aspirated straight 6 engine over the 35is forced induction. Its a good balance between running costs, speed and experience. Its just a bit more "raw" also which I like.

Get one with all the toys and you wont be disappointed.
BMW Z4 Sdrive30i M Sport / Luxon Strut Brace / ECU Remap / 10mm Spacers

TONYL

23i versus 30i

Post by TONYL » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Pm sent
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

Hunter

23i versus 30i

Post by Hunter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:08 pm

wu_swordsman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:16 am My experience with my Manual 3.0i over other engines.

Pros
- the naturally aspired straight six with its progressive smooth power is a wonder through bends
- Its controllable power
- The Manual + Smooth power makes it more of an "experience" to drive which adds to the driving pleasure.
- 22mpg around town and upto 36mpg motorway driving (which is a good happy medium)

Cons
- benefits from the 18bhp remap to smooth out blackspots (especially when pulling away)

...other than that...no other cons. The only reason I would have gone for the 35i would be for the forced induction and speed...but having experienced the 35i, M4, the 140i and 240i....yes they are fast but in bursts. The speed isnt controllable other than in a straight line, you're on deaths door everytime you hit the accelerator and mpg is insane at times, as low as 12mpg round town and 27mpg motorway (at a push).

A roadster is about the sound and the experience, I find I get that more from the 3.0i naturally aspirated straight 6 engine over the 35is forced induction. Its a good balance between running costs, speed and experience. Its just a bit more "raw" also which I like.

Its unfortunate and sad that naturally aspirated engines are becoming a thing of the past. We may get another 10 years of large turbo engines...then it will be all small cc turbo engines and electric :(
E89 S Drive 35iS

Baza

23i versus 30i

Post by Baza » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:53 pm

As E89 3.0i owner wu_Swordsman is dead on. although mine is auto which I prefer, a naturally aspirated 3.0 in line 6 is the way to go enough power to get you into trouble and out.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

Phoenixboy

23i versus 30i

Post by Phoenixboy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 pm

Hunter wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:08 pm
wu_swordsman wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:16 am My experience with my Manual 3.0i over other engines.

Pros
- Its controllable power

Cons

Its unfortunate and sad that naturally aspirated engines are becoming a thing of the past. We may get another 10 years of large turbo engines...then it will be all small cc turbo engines and electric :(
Nice write up that 😀
Exactly what I needed to see!
We are one step closer.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.