Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Handling

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by john-e89 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm

HaiderGilll wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm I have been thinking about the weight issue as well and on that account would move to may be Z4 28i 4 cylinder twin scroll turbo, less weight at the front should help it be more agile. You lose the straight six sound-track though; I want to find out what people have done though before I pull the trigger on anything. Obviously i don't run flat, proper tyres goes without saying...
Tbh I found the opposite when I tried a 28i, the lighter front end just makes the E89 steering even more vague, you can tell it’s lighter yes cornering but that also hinders handling as well, it jumped about more, I really didn’t like it. The roofs weight is central moving to rear so the extra weight of the 35 engine helps with balance is all I can contribute it to. Safe to say I came away thinking the 35 is the better steering and handling car, to me anyway, I’m sure others have a different opinion. :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm
HaiderGilll wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm I have been thinking about the weight issue as well and on that account would move to may be Z4 28i 4 cylinder twin scroll turbo, less weight at the front should help it be more agile. You lose the straight six sound-track though; I want to find out what people have done though before I pull the trigger on anything. Obviously i don't run flat, proper tyres goes without saying...
Tbh I found the opposite when I tried a 28i, the lighter front end just makes the E89 steering even more vague, you can tell it’s lighter yes, but that also hinders handling as well, it jumped about more, I really didn’t like it. The roofs weight is central moving to rear so the extra weight of the 35 engine helps with balance is all I can contribute it to. Safe to say I came away thinking the 35 is the better steering and handling car, to me anyway, I’m sure others have a different opinion. :driving:
Less weight over the nose is always a bad thing (unless it’s a Porsche) :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by john-e89 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm
Tbh I found the opposite when I tried a 28i, the lighter front end just makes the E89 steering even more vague, you can tell it’s lighter yes, but that also hinders handling as well, it jumped about more, I really didn’t like it. The roofs weight is central moving to rear so the extra weight of the 35 engine helps with balance is all I can contribute it to. Safe to say I came away thinking the 35 is the better steering and handling car, to me anyway, I’m sure others have a different opinion. :driving:
Rob
That was with the 28i on 18’s and mine on 19’s as well Robmero...
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm Tbh I found the opposite when I tried a 28i, the lighter front end just makes the E89 steering even more vague, you can tell it’s lighter yes, but that also hinders handling as well, it jumped about more, I really didn’t like it. The roofs weight is central moving to rear so the extra weight of the 35 engine helps with balance is all I can contribute it to. Safe to say I came away thinking the 35 is the better steering and handling car, to me anyway, I’m sure others have a different opinion. :driving:
Rob
A lot of this handling malarkey is subjective & feel is something that can vary enormously between different drivers.
Personally I think the weight of your wallet must be pinning the nose of your Boxster to the ground :P
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by john-e89 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm Less weight over the nose is always a bad thing (unless it’s a Porsche) :wink:
Rob
A lot of this handling malarkey is subjective & feel is something that can vary enormously between different drivers.
Personally I think the weight of your wallet must be pinning the nose of your Boxster to the ground :P
Rob
Indeed it does vary, one man’s pile of junk is another man’s pile of treasure.... :thumbsup:

Weight of my wallet....?? :?

You’ve seen my MR sale thread cos I’m skint, right bear.....?? :poke:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:56 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm That was with the 28i on 18’s and mine on 19’s as well Robmero...
Rob
Indeed it does vary, one man’s pile of junk is another man’s pile of treasure.... :thumbsup:

“Skintness” is very subjective as well :lol:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by Maniac » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 pm

When I drove a 20i it felt much more agile and responsive on turn in. Six pots feel slower to turn and scrubby. My experience anyway.

But yes, noise, smoothness and torque isnt anywhere near the same on the 4 pots.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by john-e89 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Rob

Rob
I ain’t the one retired at 50 something with a pocket full of cash from a broken toe nail you nancy.... :poke:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

HaiderGilll

Handling

Post by HaiderGilll » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 pm
There have been many discussions on this issue of later 4 pot vs either earlier or later 6 pot.

The distilled essence is that a 4 pot is cheaper to run, handles better, can be made to go as fast as a stock 6 pot but lacks the 6 pot noise...

Application of money / prejudice / hearsay may affect your decision.. :fuelfire:
There have been many discussions on this issue of later 4 pot vs either earlier or later 6 pot.

The distilled essence is that a 4 pot is cheaper to run, handles better, can be made to go as fast as a stock 6 pot but lacks the 6 pot noise...

Application of money / prejudice / hearsay may affect your decision.. :fuelfire:
The only thing that has put me off has been the negative press the N20 engine gets, is it as bad as the internet makes out?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:23 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:56 pm Indeed it does vary, one man’s pile of junk is another man’s pile of treasure.... :thumbsup:

Rob
I ain’t the one retired at 50 something with a pocket full of cash from a broken toe nail you nancy.... :poke:
But I’m the one that’s got to live with my aspiring ballet career that’s been cruelly cut short :rofl:
Not got a bean yet either 😧
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm

HaiderGilll wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:07 pm

The only thing that has put me off has been the negative press the N20 engine gets, is it as bad as the internet makes out?
I’d say not, I’ve heard of the odd car that’s expired but some of those seem to be due to backstreet remapping often giving bonkers power hikes.
They seem less prone to injector/fuel pump issues than the 35i/35is cars as they’re different components sourced from other bmw models and seem reliable in those respects :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by john-e89 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:23 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Rob
But I’m the one that’s got to live with my aspiring ballet career that’s been cruelly cut short :rofl:
Rob
Cruelly cut short..?? Done the ballet world a favour....... :poke: :wink:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Handling

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:23 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm I ain’t the one retired at 50 something with a pocket full of cash from a broken toe nail you nancy.... :poke:
Rob
Cruelly cut short..?? Done the ballet world a favour....... :poke: :wink:
They must owe me millions by now :P
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Pbondar

Handling

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm They seem less prone to injector/fuel pump issues than the 35i/35is cars as they’re different components sourced from other bmw models and seem reliable in those respects
Rob
Actually according to BMW USA the primary reason why the injectors don't fail is to a revised design of cooling passages in the head which lowers the temperatures that the injectors are exposed to..

Fuel pump is a later design and benefits from hindsight which is usually the advantage of later variants of a design.. :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Handling

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Maniac wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 pm When I drove a 20i it felt much more agile and responsive on turn in. Six pots feel slower to turn and scrubby. My experience anyway.

But yes, noise, smoothness and torque isnt anywhere near the same on the 4 pots.
Part of the issue with 6 pot design is that not only is a heavier lump a lot of the weight and its ancillaries is in front of the front axle whilst the N20 engine and its bits are all behind the front axle..

I think Porsche showed the 'benefit' of hanging weight outside the axles! :rofl: