Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone integrated Alexa into their E89?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:54 pm

The wife has eventually succumbed to buying an Alexa dot which admittedly is pretty good for music around the house. We got a good deal with Amazon music unlimited (99p for 4 months)

Has anyone managed to pair either Amazon music with their can so you can just ask Alexa to play music on request the same as in the house?

Apparently all new BMW's can do this via BMW Connect which I believe you have to pay for. Is there any other way of doing it?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm

There are quite a few videos on YouTube regarding this.
All you need is the AUX port and away you go. Not so sure about auto-reconnect though, you'd have to try this and see what happens.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm There are quite a few videos on YouTube regarding this.
All you need is the AUX port and away you go. Not so sure about auto-reconnect though, you'd have to try this and see what happens.
The dot doesn't have an auxiliary port?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Taz wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm There are quite a few videos on YouTube regarding this.
The dot doesn't have an auxiliary port?
It sure does....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTVCdUWO2A&t=
Dave

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks will have a look on You tube.

PS I have downloaded Alexa onto my iphone so I was hoping when it connects to the car it would work but at present it doesn't.

I can play my Amazon music from the iphone onto the car speakers by linking Alexa so I can voice control it is proving a problem

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nick9one1

Post by Nick9one1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Not Alexa but I do use google assistant and the Android Auto app with google music.

When I get in the car my phone pairs by bluetooth, this automatically launches the android auto app.
From here you can do anything by voice, music, navigation etc. It even tells you if you've received a whatsapp/sms etc. reads it out to you and asks if you would like to reply.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Nick9one1 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm Not Alexa but I do use google assistant and the Android Auto app with google music.

When I get in the car my phone pairs by bluetooth, this automatically launches the android auto app.
From here you can do anything by voice, music, navigation etc. It even tells you if you've received a whatsapp/sms etc. reads it out to you and asks if you would like to reply.
Thats reassuring. If it works on Google Assistant then in theory it should work with Alexa :thumbsup:

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am

Nick9one1 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm Not Alexa but I do use google assistant and the Android Auto app with google music.

Just as a side note here....
If you have Apple Music and an Android phone and want to use Android Auto and have been told (or found out) that you can't use Android Auto with Apple Music, well think again as you CAN!!!!
You load a little app called AnyAutoAudio (EDIT** See my corrected download info below) and set it up from there and "hey-Presto" you can now play Apple Music through Android Auto still with voice control via "Hey Google" 8) :driving: ........................... Just thought I'd throw that in there :thumbsup:
Last edited by AnubisZed on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

geordie_zed

Post by geordie_zed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 pm

The latest version of Amazon Music app (at least on Android) has Alexa built in so you can just ask for the music you want ...

So if you have the sound coming out into the AUX of the car then it should be possible!
==============================================
EEK my MPG is currently: Image

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 am

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am

If you have Apple Music and an Android phone and want to use Android Auto and have been told (or found out) that you can't use Android Auto with Apple Music, well think again as you CAN!!!!
You load a little app called AnyAutoAudio (available on the Play Store) and set it up from there and "hey-Presto" you can now play Apple Music through Android Auto still with voice control via "Hey Google" 8) :driving: ........................... Just thought I'd throw that in there :thumbsup:
Had a look in play store for any auto Audio but can't find it, do you have a screen shot of the app icon, thanks
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Alexa will work via the Aux or bluetooth as long as the audio box is ticked on the idrives bluetooth set up. The only issue is that you have to give instructions to Alexa via the phone not the cars voice control system. This means you have to press the Alexa App on the phone to ask it to play music and I suspect the local law enforcement may deem that to be using the phone whilst driving?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 am

markplant wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 am
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am

You load a little app called AnyAutoAudio (available on the Play Store) and set it up from there and "hey-Presto" you can now play Apple Music through Android Auto still with voice control via "Hey Google" 8) :driving: ........................... Just thought I'd throw that in there :thumbsup:
Had a look in play store for any auto Audio but can't find it, do you have a screen shot of the app icon, thanks
Whoops, sorry my bad it's not on the Play Store......
Check it out here (with instructions)....
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/a ... yAutoAudio
Dave

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 am
markplant wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 am
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am Just as a side note here....
Whoops, sorry my bad it's not on the Play Store......
Check it out here (with instructions)....
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/a ... yAutoAudio
Thanks for that
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

geordie_zed

Post by geordie_zed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Slightly off subject as it's future facing but Amazon have released the Alexa Auto SDK for developers to use ...

https://developer.amazon.com/alexa-voic ... a-auto-sdk

:driving:
==============================================
EEK my MPG is currently: Image

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:34 pm

She that must be obeyed has just successfully bid for a new Alex dot on ebay for £25. Hopefully get it for the weekend and follow links on previous posts to you tube on how to fit it

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White