Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

retro fit indicators

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tbone

retro fit indicators

Post by Tbone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

I just came back from my local BMW dealer today, the car was booked in for a service
and the work wasnt done!, (another story, and Im not happy!)

While I was there I was enquiring about retro fitting a set of these (in the picture) to replace the really tacky looking plastic ones on my Zed.
The guy was basically telling me it was going to cost 1,200 quid to get it done, because all the modules for the lights would need updating.

it sounded like he was talking out of his ass to be honest, and I was guessing they couldnt be bothered to help. (just like the service)

I have been looking around and seeing vids on youtube of people having retro fitted these, and they are saying they are plug and play, just a case of remove the old and fit the new...

has anyone done this, and what was your experience? The guy at BMW was saying that it would keep setting off the HUD warning and that it would fail an MOT if this was happening.
Attachments
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg (135.21 KiB) Viewed 891 times

cmp999

retro fit indicators

Post by cmp999 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a 2011 which had the white indicators, I have a mate who was visiting from Germany and I got him to bring me a set of the newer style indicators. I removed the old ones, cleaned the bodywork, plugged the new ones in and stuck them down as they have an adhesive strip as well as clips, look a lot nicer and never had any issues :thumbsup:

Tbone

retro fit indicators

Post by Tbone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm

he was reeling off some crap about the voltage not being the same, and when the car boots up it sends a test signal round the car to check for faults, and that the newer LED side tabs were a different voltage, as a result the car would think theres a fault.

I was a bit baffled as they are only LED lights., surely.... that sounds like BS to me!

But I dont want to splash out 100 getting some and find theres an issue

warmasice

retro fit indicators

Post by warmasice » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Haha he's talking a load of tosh mate. Just get yourself a set of genuine ones for around £115. Happy days.

Zed Baron

retro fit indicators

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 pm

I don't know how old your car is but mine is a 2009 and Ive had them on it for at least 3 years with no problems
indicator.jpg
indicator.jpg (164.67 KiB) Viewed 873 times
. Mine came from Germany also.

The_Dude

retro fit indicators

Post by The_Dude » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Complete and utter Bs by someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Get the parts from the dealer or eBay. You’ll have them fitted in under 30mins depending on how easy you manage to get the old ones out. Complete plug and play as described above. Lots on here, including myself, have done it. I even had mine sprayed.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Tbone

retro fit indicators

Post by Tbone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 pm

he sounded like he had a chip on his shoulder tbh.

saying that BMW do it to prevent any old mug from turning their car into an M4 (figuratively speaking of course) apparently the bods at BMW dont like that. Personally I dont give a rats ass what other people or BMW come to mention it think... the Zed on my driveway is mine!

When I also mentioned some M-sport brake calipers to him, he said, yeah but they would only be aesthetic, lol
errr, well if they were just aesthetic the braking system wouldnt be very good would it! get the feeling this guy was a weapons-grade plum.

needless to say I wont be going back to that garage!

dont think replacing the old ones will be a major issue, one of them fell off during its last wash anyway and is stuck down with tack. lol

Thanks for the advice chaps, Ebay it is! I've seen several advertised on there that claim to be genuine BMW parts

Marekdawg

retro fit indicators

Post by Marekdawg » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Yea as others have said, simple plug and play. :driving:
You may need a long screwdriver or similar to press the spring down holding the old ones in if they are as stiff as mine were. Other than that, Plug em in, clean the area and stick em down!
(Best to check if they blink before you stick em down - or like me you will feel like a right Muppet when you have to take it off and plug it in properly...) :lol:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

retro fit indicators

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:33 pm

I think there’s a clip/lug on the lci indicators that needs trimming off as there nowhere for it to clip into on the pre facelift cars :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TONYL

retro fit indicators

Post by TONYL » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Bought mine from bmw after quoting to them ebay price so they matched it
Talk to the service dept not sales to get a good deal
They are simples to fit and don't affect the cars systems and make the car look younger!
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

retro fit indicators

Post by jabber » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

What a tosser! Easy fit
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Dr-Jon

retro fit indicators

Post by Dr-Jon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 pm

dont forget to snap the tab off though or they wont fit. the later models have an extra hole in the wing for this but the older ones like ours dont. so you snap the tab off from the thin end. just use the stick foam pad it will hold it. As lots of people have said an easy job. I sprayed mine the same colour as the car. that too was easy :)
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

Tbone

retro fit indicators

Post by Tbone » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 pm

i did notice the tab, wasnt sure if that was going to fit, but thanks for clarifying it I will trim/break them off
I have ordered a genuine OEM Pair off Ebay, the were £105, which seemed pretty reasonable.

Im going to leave mine polished chrome style as it will go with my new rims.
Attachments
IMG_1883.jpg
IMG_1883.jpg (224.55 KiB) Viewed 697 times

ihadablackdog

retro fit indicators

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Fancy these but £105 is a bit much for me at the moment....however....my Birthday is 2 August :?

Your car looks nice in Red.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

retro fit indicators

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Tbone wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 pm i did notice the tab, wasnt sure if that was going to fit, but thanks for clarifying it I will trim/break them off
I have ordered a genuine OEM Pair off Ebay, the were £105, which seemed pretty reasonable.

Im going to leave mine polished chrome style as it will go with my new rims.
Your car looks very sporty in red, that & Valencia orange were the only other colours on my palette when I was looking 8)
9B32D321-0AFF-44D7-82B0-AD357C652FA6.jpeg
9B32D321-0AFF-44D7-82B0-AD357C652FA6.jpeg (313.07 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold