Best code reader

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TONYL

Best code reader

Post by TONYL » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi
Whats the best code reader available
Ive got the engjne management light on in yellow and need to diagnose the isue
Thanks
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

AnubisZed

Best code reader

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am

"Best" is a concept only the user can quantify, but for code reading I use Carly for BMW. Does a fairly decent job and as I have the "proper" adaptor it reads from ALL available ECU's and not just some like my (otherwise perfectly good and spot-on) generic adaptor.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.... relatively basic!
8)

GuidoK

Best code reader

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Best codereader is ista d/ ista p. Period.
Thats bmw dealer software, so you get all the info.
Works fine with a £8 kkl/dcan inpa cable

Carly is useless as a codereader
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

AnubisZed

Best code reader

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

GuidoK wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm
Best codereader is ista d/ ista p. Period.
Thats bmw dealer software, so you get all the info.
Works fine with a £8 kkl/dcan inpa cable

Carly is useless as a codereader
Hence my comment...
AnubisZed wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am
"Best" is a concept only the user can quantify....
Carly is a user friendly application where as ISTA you need to learn.
I'm not saying anything bad about ISTA, it's a great program (obviously) but not everyone can use it or even should try.
It's like coding, yes Carly can code certain things, but NCSExpert is far superior but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
Dave
8)

TONYL

Best code reader

Post by TONYL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Ive gone for the android carly
Awaiting delivery so hope it does what i need...let me know what to do to clear the engine warning light!
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

GuidoK

Best code reader

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm

AnubisZed wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

Hence my comment...
AnubisZed wrote:
I'm not saying anything bad about ISTA, it's a great program (obviously) but not everyone can use it or even should try.
Carly produces codes in a format that most of the time has no meaning and searching on them is useless.
Anything more than the usual problems and you're stuck with carly. No person that does real diagnostics uses carly. Its a toy. Nice for coding your window buttons and whatnot but useless for real diagnostics. Its a layman's tool and no better than a 2 pound costing obd2 reader + a free version of torque.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

AnubisZed

Best code reader

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 am

GuidoK wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm
AnubisZed wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

Hence my comment...
AnubisZed wrote:
Carly produces codes in a format that most of the time has no meaning and searching on them is useless.
Anything more than the usual problems and you're stuck with carly. No person that does real diagnostics uses carly. Its a toy. Nice for coding your window buttons and whatnot but useless for real diagnostics. Its a layman's tool and no better than a 2 pound costing obd2 reader + a free version of torque.
Have you actually used Torque on an e89? It's utter crap, it doesn't show half the faults.
Don't forget, just because YOU know how to use ISTA doesn't mean it's easy to use, BMW technicians are trained, you've learnt but it's not for everybody.
Like I've already said it's not for everybody, I'm also not knocking it as its a very good program. But as I stated in the first place its entirely down to the end user as to what is best for them, its not about "well I know how to do it, why don't you" everyone is at different levels.

Oh and by the way, I've learnt how to use ISTA since I've owned Carly but that's not the point as I wouldn't recommend it without know the abilities of the other person, after all its not like there is a manual for it.
Dave
8)

R.E92

Best code reader

Post by R.E92 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am

Carly is miles better than Torque but still junk. I can't get over how much people are willing to pay for such a poor app.

TONYL

Best code reader

Post by TONYL » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Just an update
Plugged in the carly module and found that my lamda sensors to be the prob so all sorted now
Easy piece if kit to use and it also flagged up a few more minor issues
Happy bunny
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89