Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service parts

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ProfCJJ

Service parts

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Received this lot today from Eurocarparts - service not due yet but saved myself Β£100 overall. Of course I ended up with ONE spark plug! Silly me I though I was ordering a pack of six!! Wow! Β£15 per plug??

Also got a snowfoam and lance and snow foam.

My next service is now covered.

:)
0667F32A-F1ED-47A8-ACC4-1A361EC14D40.jpeg
0667F32A-F1ED-47A8-ACC4-1A361EC14D40.jpeg (359.01 KiB) Viewed 855 times
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

R.E92

Service parts

Post by R.E92 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:51 am

Did you get in on the end of month sale? They have some big discounts on filters and brake components currently.
If not you can return things for free at a branch then re-order with discount online.

OpieOils is a good place to get oil since it doesn't look that you have any of that either! (you can use the pistonheads discount code "PISTON" for an extra 10% off)

ProfCJJ

Service parts

Post by ProfCJJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

They had a mid-month 35% off which sounded decent. Oil I already have thanks, a few of Castrol GTX from a previous sale - thanks for the tip thoughπŸ‘

Cheers
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

warmasice

Service parts

Post by warmasice » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Well done op. Curious why you went for the Crosland filter?

ProfCJJ

Service parts

Post by ProfCJJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 pm

warmasice wrote: ↑Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 pm Well done op. Curious why you went for the Crosland filter?
Cos I’m a newbie and didn’t really have a preference. Are they to be avoided?

Cheers
---
Christopher

warmasice

Service parts

Post by warmasice » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 pm

I've never used them before (usually go for Mann or Mahle) and saw them on ECP today, so did a little research and came across these posts on other forums:

"crosland wasn't my first choice brand of air filter, but it was allegedly the only one on the shelf that day, so i took it. subsequent google-ing shows that crosland is closely linked with the factor (euro) so i'm a bit suspicious...

then i had a definite "wtf" moment when i went to fit it and found it was too thin, only by a millimetre or so, and similarly height and width a teeny bit smaller than the one i took out, but this allowed the new filter to rattle in the casing and so allow unfiltered air through the gap round the edges and up into the throttle body! it's definitely the right numbered filter for the model, it's just a cheap build."

and this..

"you are right crosland filter was bought by euro car parts a few years ago. we have had a few crosland's mainly older cars when that's all the factors have in but tend to fit mann filters or adl blue print as a rule. a quick google search and this came up on a bmw forum:

many years ago crosland were a real major player in the filter world. i sold them for over ten years. crosland were then sold to sogefi who own fram, purflux and a few others. euro car parts bought the name only, no development, no technical back up, nothing. just the name. now they buy the cheapest filters from around the world you've never heard of box them and sell on the perceived quality of the name. would you put the cheapest on your car ??? "

I'm sure it'll be fine, but just wondered if you had any personal experience of them considering what I'd read earlier that's all. πŸ™‚

ProfCJJ

Service parts

Post by ProfCJJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 pm

warmasice wrote: ↑Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 pm I've never used them before (usually go for Mann or Mahle) and saw them on ECP today, so did a little research and came across these posts on other forums:

"crosland wasn't my first choice brand of air filter, but it was allegedly the only one on the shelf that day, so i took it. subsequent google-ing shows that crosland is closely linked with the factor (euro) so i'm a bit suspicious...

then i had a definite "wtf" moment when i went to fit it and found it was too thin, only by a millimetre or so, and similarly height and width a teeny bit smaller than the one i took out, but this allowed the new filter to rattle in the casing and so allow unfiltered air through the gap round the edges and up into the throttle body! it's definitely the right numbered filter for the model, it's just a cheap build."

and this..

"you are right crosland filter was bought by euro car parts a few years ago. we have had a few crosland's mainly older cars when that's all the factors have in but tend to fit mann filters or adl blue print as a rule. a quick google search and this came up on a bmw forum:

many years ago crosland were a real major player in the filter world. i sold them for over ten years. crosland were then sold to sogefi who own fram, purflux and a few others. euro car parts bought the name only, no development, no technical back up, nothing. just the name. now they buy the cheapest filters from around the world you've never heard of box them and sell on the perceived quality of the name. would you put the cheapest on your car ??? "

I'm sure it'll be fine, but just wondered if you had any personal experience of them considering what I'd read earlier that's all. πŸ™‚
Hmm! Slightly worrying. I might try a dry fit and if I don’t like it return them both!

Cheers πŸ‘
---
Christopher

warmasice

Service parts

Post by warmasice » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Let us know how it goes.

warmasice

Service parts

Post by warmasice » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:20 am

ProfCJJ wrote: ↑Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm They had a mid-month 35% off which sounded decent. Oil I already have thanks, a few of Castrol GTX from a previous sale - thanks for the tip thoughπŸ‘

Cheers
By the way Castrol GTX doesn't meet BMW LL04 spec. It's semi synthetic.

If you want to stick with Castrol, it'd have to be Castrol Edge. However, I prefer Mobil 1 (amongst a few others).

ProfCJJ

Service parts

Post by ProfCJJ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:56 am

warmasice wrote: ↑Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:20 am
ProfCJJ wrote: ↑Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm They had a mid-month 35% off which sounded decent. Oil I already have thanks, a few of Castrol GTX from a previous sale - thanks for the tip thoughπŸ‘

Cheers
By the way Castrol GTX doesn't meet BMW LL04 spec. It's semi synthetic.

If you want to stick with Castrol, it'd have to be Castrol Edge. However, I prefer Mobil 1 (amongst a few others).
In actual fact I checked and it’s Mobil 1, I’ve shocking memory!

Tomorrow I’ll see if I can dry fit the air filter

Cheers
---
Christopher

ihadablackdog

Service parts

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 pm

warmasice wrote: ↑Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:20 am If you want to stick with Castrol, it'd have to be Castrol Edge. However, I prefer Mobil 1 (amongst a few others).
Quick question about preference of oil....

What makes you prefer one brand over another? Price?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

warmasice

Service parts

Post by warmasice » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:27 pm

If I listened really close, I could hear the hydraulic tappets in my 6 cylinder coupe when I used 0w-40 Castrol Edge. So I moved back over to 5w-30 Mobil 1 and the engine felt smooth again, no longer sounded like a sewing machine and didn't drink anywhere near as much oil.