Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carly for dummies!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AndyZ

Carly for dummies!

Post by AndyZ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am

I bought an e89 sDrive 35iS from another forum member WillGill who has reneged on our sales agreement of providing the Carly cable and info that goes with the car.
I have looked around the forum and google but all the info assumes you know something about this to start with.
Can anybody help me out to get started? What is Carly, how does it to connect to the car and where can I get the gear to make it work. Also, if the previous owner has been ‘tinkering’ and I get another cable etc, can I link as if I was the original user?
Any light she’d would be useful.
Thanks.
M4 competition - OOOoohhhhhhhh Yes!
Z4 35is e89 - gone
Jag F-type coupe R (RWD) - gone
Z4mc e86 - gone
M3 e92 - gone
Z4 3ltr e85 roadster - gone

Pbondar

Carly for dummies!

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am

AndyZ wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am I bought an e89 sDrive 35iS from another forum member WillGill who has reneged on our sales agreement of providing the Carly cable and info that goes with the car.
I have looked around the forum and google but all the info assumes you know something about this to start with.
Can anybody help me out to get started? What is Carly, how does it to connect to the car and where can I get the gear to make it work. Also, if the previous owner has been ‘tinkering’ and I get another cable etc, can I link as if I was the original user?
Thanks.
You need the Carly Wi-Fi adapter if you plan to use android or Carly Bluetooth adapter if you plan to use iOS..

There is no cable the adapter plugs into the obd port by your right ankle

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Carly for dummies!

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:12 pm

So does that meen there’s been no problem with the sales agreement ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Carly for dummies!

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am
AndyZ wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am I bought an e89 sDrive 35iS from another forum member WillGill who has reneged on our sales agreement of providing the Carly cable and info that goes with the car.
Thanks.
You need the Carly Wi-Fi adapter if you plan to use android or Carly Bluetooth adapter if you plan to use iOS..

Good morning Andy,

Firstly Pbonder is the wrong way round, it's Bluetooth for Android and WiFi for Apple.
Click this link to take you to the Carly for BMW page..... http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

There you'll find links to buying the proper adaptor (I recommend buying the genuine one over a generic one as you will have full functionality with it, and yes I originally bought a generic one!)
On their site you'll also find the FAQ page that should tell you all that you need to know.
I do believe that there are some videos on YouTube that also tell you certain things you can do, or at least show you how to use it.
Alas you cannot return your car back to factory without knowing what's been touched (well not with Carly anyway), but that shouldn't matter as everything is swapable back by yourself if you don't like a particular function.
Certainly give the FAQ a look through for starters and if you then have any specific questions post them up and either myself or another member will be able to help.

HTH
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Pbondar

Carly for dummies!

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:14 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am
Thanks.

Good morning Andy,

Firstly Pbonder is the wrong way round, it's Bluetooth for Android and WiFi for Apple.
Click this link to take you to the Carly for BMW page..... http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

There you'll find links to buying the proper adaptor (I recommend buying the genuine one over a generic one as you will have full functionality with it, and yes I originally bought a generic one!)
On their site you'll also find the FAQ page that should tell you all that you need to know.
I do believe that there are some videos on YouTube that also tell you certain things you can do, or at least show you how to use it.
Alas you cannot return your car back to factory without knowing what's been touched (well not with Carly anyway), but that shouldn't matter as everything is swapable back by yourself if you don't like a particular function.
Certainly give the FAQ a look through for starters and if you then have any specific questions post them up and either myself or another member will be able to help.

HTH
Apologies for my dyslexia ...just for info I use the wi fi genuine Carly one with iOS and it works very well...what you can do is far more limited than a pc and serious s/w but it’s a breeze to use...

AndyZ

Carly for dummies!

Post by AndyZ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:50 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:12 pm So does that meen there’s been no problem with the sales agreement ?
In my world when you agree terms and a price, thats a binding contract. When you say you will "send the carly stuff through later" and "the MOT's due in a month and it will pass, but if it doesn't - get back in touch and we will sort something out" if either of those things don't happen then the seller is in breach of contract. The car failed its MOT on the n/s front shocker which is only available as OEM parts and cost me nearly a grand to fix.
Will Gill works in I.T. and communications and is surprisingly hard to get hold of by email, phone and text - I wonder if he's avoiding his responsibility? Hmmmmm????!!!! :thumbsdown:
The thing is a man who cannot be held to his word, is actually not a man at all - just a small boy who will have to deal with karma at some point. cest la vie!! :telloff: :telloff: :telloff:
Last edited by AndyZ on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z4 35is e89 - gone
Z4mc e86 - gone
M3 e92 - gone

AndyZ

Carly for dummies!

Post by AndyZ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks Pbondar and AnubisZed :thumbsup:

Is this the bit I need?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Carly ... 044&sr=1-1

Thanks
Z4 35is e89 - gone
Z4mc e86 - gone
M3 e92 - gone

AnubisZed

Carly for dummies!

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:13 pm

AndyZ wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm Thanks Pbondar and AnubisZed :thumbsup:

Is this the bit I need?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Carly ... 044&sr=1-1

Thanks
If you have an iPhone, then yes (a lot easier to get out then the bluetooth one for Android!!)
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AndyZ

Carly for dummies!

Post by AndyZ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Brilliant - thanks Dave
Z4 35is e89 - gone
Z4mc e86 - gone
M3 e92 - gone

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Carly for dummies!

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 pm

AndyZ wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:50 pm The thing is a man who cannot be held to his word, is actually not a man at all - just a small boy who will have to deal with karma at some point. cest la vie!! :telloff: :telloff: :telloff:
The Gentleman’s word !
It might sound a bit Dickensian but it means a lot, and in my opinion, especially so on a forum such as this.

tigermain

Carly for dummies!

Post by tigermain » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Hey all, sorry to jump on the thread, but I just bought a Carly full license (a bit annoyed to see its only a 12 month subscription!!) and currently have a generic bluetooth adaptor (already had it) but will probably buy a proper one soon, as I cant change any iDrive settings with mine.

If anyone would like anything coding and is near Harrogate/York let me know, I'll be happy to help for beer tokens!
2016 Esteril Blue Z4 28i sDrive M-Sport - 19" 326 wheels: Currently playing with Carly and Coding (PM me for details)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Carly for dummies!

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 pm

What are the implications of coding via Carly ie new car warranty status?

Is there much Carly can do that the Idrive system can’t?

AndyZ

Carly for dummies!

Post by AndyZ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:26 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 pm
AndyZ wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:50 pm The thing is a man who cannot be held to his word, is actually not a man at all - just a small boy who will have to deal with karma at some point. cest la vie!! :telloff: :telloff: :telloff:
The Gentleman’s word !
It might sound a bit Dickensian but it means a lot, and in my opinion, especially so on a forum such as this.

Not really Dickensian is it?! A mans word should be binding - period!
If anyone comes across Will Gill from Truro or London making a promise or agreement, then be warned - his word and handshake means nothing.
Z4 35is e89 - gone
Z4mc e86 - gone
M3 e92 - gone

ihadablackdog

Carly for dummies!

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:45 pm

The car only had 1 month MOT on it? I appreciate the verbal agreement etc, but i would’ve got him to MOT it before collection.

Saying that, I bought mine from Marshal BMW in Hook and had problems with it (look out for full review in the dealer feedback section soon), so even buying an AUC with the MOT done the day before collection isnt always problem free (although I thought it was).
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Carly for dummies!

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Does the insured warranty not cover the failures?