Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i picked up on Friday, first drive review.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AuchinclossZ4

Post by AuchinclossZ4 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm

What a 24 hours it has been. Red eye from Edinburgh to Luton to pick up my white 2010 Z4 35i from Mason’s in Hitchin. First I have to say what a pleasure it was to purchase a car from Mr Mason. He has a lot of interesting cars for sale and when I say he knows his stuff it is a massive understatement. This guy is the top rung. Check out their website, lot’s of interesting stuff. The car was prepared to showroom BMW (brand new) level. I lifted the bonnet and I could have been in a time machine sending me back to 2010. Then there was the noise from the exhaust - like thunder being trapped in a transport container.

I should perhaps explain whey I bought the car. I recently attended a super car driving day. The order of drive was Porsche 991, R8 V10 spider, Ferrari 458, McLaren 570s then Lamborghini Huracan. Our family cars are Octavia (Petrol of course) VRS 2013 and 12 month old M140i. The latter is crazy fast. But what struck me at the super car day was the feel and the level of rear grip. I also figured out that the Porsche was really the only road car. Not having 80k for a new 991 I started looking at 997’s. That seemed fraught with problems as a used buy. Then, the inevitable (boo) Boxster mk2. Problem is the car could not be a manual. Tiptronic is not great and PDK cars are too expensive in my view. Then saw the Z4 35i that I bought. It ticked all the boxes (and my wife loved it, she was missing her convertible 325i that went wrong).

What has struck me so far is that the Z4 feels truly exotic. The noise, the feel and the massive rear grip. It is easily 90% of the experience from the super car day. And for 15k. These cars are a massive bargain right now - sshh, nobody knows!
Last edited by AuchinclossZ4 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 35i DCT alpine white over ivory nappa.
M140i auto alpine white over black.

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Lynchy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 pm

It sounds great, let's have some pics then :wink:

AuchinclossZ4

Post by AuchinclossZ4 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:06 pm

It rained today (it is Scotland after all!). Expecting dry weather tomorrow so there will be some pics!
Z4 35i DCT alpine white over ivory nappa.
M140i auto alpine white over black.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Good to hear you were impressed with the dealer you bought your car from - that is always a good start IME!

And better still you sound very pleased with your 35i. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

extaz

Post by extaz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Interesting that you found the E89 to be comparable to those exotics. I had a similar experience. I got to drive a Ferrari Scuderia 430 and a Ferarri 458 Italia (585hp) on a track as fast and as hard as I desired, and with an instructor.. That experience inspired me to look for a car that could perform and be comfortable and satisfying once again. Believe it or not the E89 35i felt very similar. I am sure the Ferraris would easily lap a whole lot faster, but that was not what I was after. The Z, on the public road, pinned me back in the seat just as hard and had that addictive feel that makes you drive home the long way.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.
:worthless:

GoSteve

Post by GoSteve » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:35 pm

I have owned a few 'supercars' over the years (before common sense and kids diverted funds) from several nearly new Porsche turbo's and even a TVR some years ago and Lotus Esprit Turbo when it was the car to have, and not quite a supercar, but a TTS recently, but I can truly say the Z4 is just the most rewarding all round car. The novelty of owning and driving it just does not wear off.
I have a 23i, simply because I looked long and hard for a Melbourne Red M Sport with cream leather and iDrive. Even with limited performance, it is still such a joy to drive and beautiful to look at. The sound is amazing. As you have probably found, the Z4 is not all about performance, there is a balance and dynamic that is difficult to match, especially with the roof down.

When I get round to it, I plan to upgrade to the 35is in Melbourne Red. In the meantime, it's summer and mine is just amazing, so no point wasting time driving up and down the country trying to find another perfect Z4.
White 435d Gran Coupe, M Sport Plus, Auto, XDrive, Active Suspension, HUD. Stage 1.
Sadly May 2021 said goodbye to my red Z4 hello to Cayman 981S.
Looking for Z4 35is for wifey.