Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

IDrive (Bluetooth) -> Music Streaming

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ZedConvert

Post by ZedConvert » Sat May 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Firstly, how long can I continue to post on the Newbie section? :-)

So I have an E89 (2014) with IDrive etc, my iPhone shows in the media section under Bluetooth... where I can select external devices, the HDD, external etc.

Can someone confirm I can only use Bluetooth for calls, and not for streaming music from Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube? Seems odd as it’s in the ‘media’ section and ‘telephone’.

Thanks,

ZedConvert

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat May 12, 2018 9:41 pm

ZedConvert wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:27 pm Firstly, how long can I continue to post on the Newbie section? :-)
I’ve already moved most of your posts out of the section, it’s only really for introductory posts :thumbsup:

Bluetooth streaming was a cost option.

ZedConvert

Post by ZedConvert » Sat May 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Wondermike, thanks! So how do you tell if you have that ‘cost option’? As I have IDrive and the mobile phone shows up under ‘Media’

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat May 12, 2018 10:05 pm

If you have an iPhone then you can stream any media that is playing on the phone to the car providing you have the blue tooth option.

You’ll see it in the Bluetooth pairing as a second option listed as audio as opposed to telephone

I confused myself (at my age easily done) by having bbc iPlayer playing radio 4 and couldn’t work out why changing stations on the radio had no effect as the media option was selected and the iPlayer was running...

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 pm

ZedConvert wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:56 pm Wondermike, thanks! So how do you tell if you have that ‘cost option’? As I have IDrive and the mobile phone shows up under ‘Media’
go here https://www.bmwvin.com/ enter your VIN and it'll list everything on your vehicle.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:11 pm

you either highlight the phone under media or Bluetooth can remember which, press option on centre console and under your it calls will be ticked and if you have it tick music, then off you go
It does annoy me every time you play music through the usb it switches the music blue tooth off so you have to tick it again
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

ZedConvert

Post by ZedConvert » Sun May 13, 2018 1:32 pm

RustyZ4, thanks... pretty sure I checked that option, but will have a play!

ZedConvert

Post by ZedConvert » Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 am

Got it! And it made my drive into work more enjoyable this morning with roof down.

Thank you for all the pointers!!! I think I was going through the motions but maybe missing a critical step somewhere...

I disconnected the USB cable first, that I use for charging;
Then went to Bluetooth Audio options, selected phone and audio.
Then out and into External Devices and selected my iPhone.

Voila!

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:57 pm

ZedConvert wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 am Got it! And it made my drive into work more enjoyable this morning with roof down.

Thank you for all the pointers!!! I think I was going through the motions but maybe missing a critical step somewhere...

I disconnected the USB cable first, that I use for charging;
Then went to Bluetooth Audio options, selected phone and audio.
Then out and into External Devices and selected my iPhone.

Voila!
:thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

tigermain

Post by tigermain » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi guys,

Im in the same boat, just (literally) picked up my new zed but also don't see the bluetooth audio option that I expect (just came from a 2-series).

If this wasn't a bought option can it be coded/retro fitted?? Going to be pretty gutted if it can't :(

Cheers
2016 Esteril Blue Z4 28i sDrive M-Sport - 19" 326 wheels: Currently playing with Carly and Coding (PM me for details)

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 pm

So how do you control the music? Do you do it on the phone or via idrive?

I've got all my music on a tiny little usb key (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-Fla ... isk+cruzer) and control it via idrive (search etc).

If you need to change it on the phone then that seems dangerous to me, but if you can change/search/start/stop from idrive then it sounds good.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Dr-Jon

Post by Dr-Jon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm

tigermain wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:05 pm Hi guys,

Im in the same boat, just (literally) picked up my new zed but also don't see the bluetooth audio option that I expect (just came from a 2-series).

If this wasn't a bought option can it be coded/retro fitted?? Going to be pretty gutted if it can't :(

Cheers
It can be done. did it to mine
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial