Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recall - BBC News

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
geordie_zed

Recall - BBC News

Post by geordie_zed » Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm

BMW is recalling 312,000 vehicles: the BMW 1 Series, the 3 Series, the Z4 and its X1 petrol and diesel models made between March 2007 and August 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44050686

Lists Z4 so I guess a bunch of us will be getting a call...
==============================================
EEK my MPG is currently: Image

Arcade.Eyes

Recall - BBC News

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Oh great... already been in to get some power cable changed last year.

DibbleCorse

Recall - BBC News

Post by DibbleCorse » Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Arcade.Eyes wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 pm Oh great... already been in to get some power cable changed last year.
Sounds like an extension of last years recall by the way the article reads, mine went back last year as well so based on that I'm not expecting it to need to go back again.
Cars: E89 Z4 3.0i M Sport, VW Scirocco 2.0 GT TFSI
Bikes: Ducati 996, Ducati 999R Fila, Ducati Multistrada, Ducati Panigale 1199S
Pets: Charlie and Luigi the cats.
Wife: Just the one.
Instagram: Dibblecorse

Oakleyextreme

Recall - BBC News

Post by Oakleyextreme » Wed May 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Just seen this on here, I have a 2012 Z4.
What’s the recall for? Just wondering as I’m booked in for a remap next week

Courageous

Recall - BBC News

Post by Courageous » Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 pm

General question - is there a central site to determine historical Z4 recalls? Having just bought one and about to leave the country with it I suppose I should really check if there are any.

Oakleyextreme

Recall - BBC News

Post by Oakleyextreme » Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 pm

I’ve just phoned my local bmw dealer to check and mine is ok and is one that’s not being recalled.
2012 28i

geordie_zed

Recall - BBC News

Post by geordie_zed » Wed May 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Courageous wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 pm General question - is there a central site to determine historical Z4 recalls? Having just bought one and about to leave the country with it I suppose I should really check if there are any.
This shows them - but this new one isn't listed yet by the looks of things although sounds similar to the one they did in 2013 (R/2013/024) and 2017 (R/2017/114) but now with a much wider set of VINs.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls ... =newsearch

There is more on Watchdog at 8pm apparently ...
==============================================
EEK my MPG is currently: Image

Courageous

Recall - BBC News

Post by Courageous » Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanx Geordie

wu_swordsman

Recall - BBC News

Post by wu_swordsman » Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Headlines - "BMW recalls 300,000 cars that risk stalling completely"
What I read - "Man driving without undue care and attention hits tree"

Old news - if your car was at BMW for any reason in the past 3 years this was fixed as par for course. Much like any dealer minor problem spotted, recall letter sent, car booked in, fixed. Old news from about 3 years ago. It’s not an issue and it’s not life threatening. The news is just scare mongering. So a car might stall...same happens when you forget to fill with fuel, or have a dead batt...or even if you or your mechanic doesn’t tighten the terminal connections enough (they vibrate loose) - slow down and pull over and call AA/Green Flag simple.

Oh no but there were no lights....this is why all cars are fitted with reflectors and supplied with a triangle in the boot. This has only made news because some idiot wasn’t paying attention at the guy pulled over, stationary and swerved him to hit a tree.
BMW Z4 Sdrive30i M Sport / Luxon Strut Brace / ECU Remap / 10mm Spacers

ihadablackdog

Recall - BBC News

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm

wu_swordsman wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm Headlines - "BMW recalls 300,000 cars that risk stalling completely"

Old news - if your car was at BMW for any reason in the past 3 years this was fixed as par for course. Much like any dealer minor problem spotted, recall letter sent, car booked in, fixed. Old news from about 3 years ago. It’s not an issue and it’s not life threatening. The news is just scare mongering. So a car might stall...same happens when you forget to fill with fuel, or have a dead batt...or even if you or your mechanic doesn’t tighten the terminal connections enough (they vibrate loose) - slow down and pull over and call AA/Green Flag simple.

Oh no but there were no lights....this is why all cars are fitted with reflectors and supplied with a triangle in the boot. This has only made news because some idiot wasn’t paying attention at the guy pulled over, stationary and swerved him to hit a tree.
What about the reports of cars just catching fire for no reason, without the key in etc?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Zed Baron

Recall - BBC News

Post by Zed Baron » Thu May 10, 2018 5:59 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm
wu_swordsman wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm Headlines - "BMW recalls 300,000 cars that risk stalling completely"

What about the reports of cars just catching fire for no reason, without the key in etc?
mines booked in next week and it will take approx 4 hours and Ive had it in at the same dealers 3 times over the last 3 years for oil/brake fluid changes

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Recall - BBC News

Post by flybobbie » Thu May 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I was going to Gatwick on motorbike and there was a serious tailback on the M25. All cars being filtered to the two outside lanes of five lanes near Heathrow at midday. I filtered between them as they were stationary. Guess what was the cause of the three lanes being conned off, some black BMW soft top saloon stuck dead in the middle lane.

Vonlipvig

Recall - BBC News

Post by Vonlipvig » Fri May 11, 2018 9:47 am

DVLA website updated this morning. Got mine booked in a week tuesday and going to have a mini for the day, mmmmm.

Wifes E90 is also on the list so need to get that in as well, even though it has loads of other problems
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

New2Zed

Recall - BBC News

Post by New2Zed » Fri May 11, 2018 7:33 pm

I think my wife's Z falls into the "engine cuts out" recall, which is somewhat annoying as it was in for a service last week and I was told "no upgrades or recalls".

Car has done very low mileage and isn't used much so no real problem, so guess we'll wait to be contacted.

Ironically, we had a very similar problem with our Evoque, with the engine cutting out due to an abraded wiring loom, when it was only a few months old.

All a bit pathetic really.
2014 Z4 2.0. (driven by her in doors cos she thinks she looks pretty in it).
Range Rover Evoque (toss up between one of these and an X4)
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

Reed20v

Recall - BBC News

Post by Reed20v » Fri May 11, 2018 9:37 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm What about the reports of cars just catching fire for no reason, without the key in etc?
I thought that was a Jeep Renegade feature?
E89 AlpineMineral White 28i M-Sport
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 XL's and a stubby aerial.
TODO - Wrap roof and bottom lip, POWWERRRR, pray it doesnt break.