Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre Change (again)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
HillWalker

Tyre Change (again)

Post by HillWalker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:56 pm

So yesterday after months of deliberating I finally got some non runflats fitted on the 35is, I don't like spending money and much less to spend it unnecessarily, so to have to pay nearly £700 for a set of tyres that I didn't need seemed ridiculous (especially to the wife) but being only to well aware of the idiosyncrasies of the runflats and persuaded by all the posts I've read on here, and despite the one or two that said they found the runflats ok (ronk !!) I bit the bullet.

Was it worth the expense, well I drove to the tyre fitters in what felt like a go kart on the local bumpy roads and drove home in what felt like a 5 series in comparison, so by the time I got home I'd realised they were much more comfortable and a lot quieter, then the crowning glory, in the evening went out for a fastish drive on some local roads I know well and it was so much more confidence inspiring, it felt planted on the road not jiggling about on every ripple and able to keep my foot in instead of having to ease off. So a big thank you to all those that convinced me to go for it, money well spent.

P.S. the 5000 mile old runflats are for sale in the wheels/tyres section if anybody's interested after all that.

HillWalker

Tyre Change (again)

Post by HillWalker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Sorry tyres for sale in the Buy/Sell Section

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre Change (again)

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Probably the best mod you can do to this car. Like buying a new car.

I had some part worn run flats, just threw them away. Wouldn't want to inflict misery of them on someone else.

Busterboo

Tyre Change (again)

Post by Busterboo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:36 am

HillWalker :driving: Enjoy.
flybobbie Agree x 4.
Vidi, vici, veni

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Tyre Change (again)

Post by buzyg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:24 am

A wise choice enjoy the new driving experience. :driving:

Boyo

Tyre Change (again)

Post by Boyo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:22 pm

After much deliberation I swopped out my Bridgestone run flats for MPS4 non run flats on my 35is a fortnight ago. As many have said it has totally transformed the car in all respects. :D
Current:
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (PDK)

Previous:
G29 M40i - Thundernight
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)
987 Boxster 2.7
E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
718 Cayman GTS 2.5
E89 35is
E85 M Roadster

jonas123

Tyre Change (again)

Post by jonas123 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:30 pm

I put some non runflat goodyear's on my rears without changing the fronts. Handling was pretty unstable at around 70-80mph which was a bit unsettling. Got a puncture 2 weeks after fitting them so binned them and went back to runflats :roll:

HillWalker

Tyre Change (again)

Post by HillWalker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 pm

You should never mix runflats with non runflats, you should have binned the other two runflats instead, would have been much better.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Tyre Change (again)

Post by mr wilks » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 pm

HillWalker wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 pm You should never mix runflats with non runflats, you should have binned the other two runflats instead, would have been much better.
Why ? :? Have you tried it ?
Its not illegal or a MOT fail & after reading countless times on the forum how it should never be done purely for my own amusement the last 8 weeks ive been running a set of 19inch alloys on my E86 with non-runflat rears (5.5mm) & runflat fronts (7mm)
It drives faultlessly & there is no way anyone would be able to tell .
Twice ive switched back to back between another wheelset with 6mm MPSS on (19s) & there is nothing to divide the two in terms of
grip , handling & steering on spirited backroad drives & Mway up to 85 .
I'm not saying its the way forward but its certainly not the catastrophe many would suggest
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Busterboo

Tyre Change (again)

Post by Busterboo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 pm Twice ive switched back to back between another wheelset with 6mm MPSS on (19s) & there is nothing to divide the two in terms of grip , handling & steering on spirited backroad drives & Mway up to 85 .
:?
Vidi, vici, veni

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Tyre Change (again)

Post by mr wilks » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Busterboo wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm
mr wilks wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 pm Twice ive switched back to back between another wheelset with 6mm MPSS on (19s) & there is nothing to divide the two in terms of grip , handling & steering on spirited backroad drives & Mway up to 85 .

:?
Yep , i was surprised too when all the talk suggests the complete opposite , i guess suspension age , tyre age / brand & of course tyre pressures play a part :wink: has been quite a revelation :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre Change (again)

Post by ronk » Mon May 07, 2018 7:59 pm

HillWalker wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:56 pm So yesterday after months of deliberating I finally got some non runflats fitted on the 35is, I don't like spending money and much less to spend it unnecessarily, so to have to pay nearly £700 for a set of tyres that I didn't need seemed ridiculous (especially to the wife) but being only to well aware of the idiosyncrasies of the runflats and persuaded by all the posts I've read on here, and despite the one or two that said they found the runflats ok (ronk !!) I bit the bullet.

Was it worth the expense, well I drove to the tyre fitters in what felt like a go kart on the local bumpy roads and drove home in what felt like a 5 series in comparison, so by the time I got home I'd realised they were much more comfortable and a lot quieter, then the crowning glory, in the evening went out for a fastish drive on some local roads I know well and it was so much more confidence inspiring, it felt planted on the road not jiggling about on every ripple and able to keep my foot in instead of having to ease off. So a big thank you to all those that convinced me to go for it, money well spent.

P.S. the 5000 mile old runflats are for sale in the wheels/tyres section if anybody's interested after all that.

Ive just stumbled on this post and don’t want to be the only soldier in the column in step, but after all the positives I will probably join the ranks wehen the time comes.
The handling thing is well documented but it’s the puncture thing that bothers me - a mini compressor and a can of gunk was ok for cars without TPMS sensors but i don’t want to wreck a tpms sensor unecessarily.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Tyre Change (again)

Post by Busterboo » Mon May 07, 2018 9:45 pm

ronk wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:59 pm Ive just stumbled on this post and don’t want to be the only soldier in the column in step, but after all the positives I will probably join the ranks wehen the time comes.
The handling thing is well documented but it’s the puncture thing that bothers me - a mini compressor and a can of gunk was ok for cars without TPMS sensors but i don’t want to wreck a tpms sensor unecessarily.
May I suggest that disabling a car by using runflats in order not to damage the TPMS sensors is a poor exchange? :)
Vidi, vici, veni

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre Change (again)

Post by john-e89 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Busterboo wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:45 pm
ronk wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:59 pm Ive just stumbled on this post and don’t want to be the only soldier in the column in step, but after all the positives I will probably join the ranks wehen the time comes.
May I suggest that disabling a car by using runflats in order not to damage the TPMS sensors is a poor exchange? :)
May I suggest that as someone who sticks vehemently to the BMW handbook, argues until he’s blue in the face that that is what one should do, then argues vehemently for non run flats, the exact opposite of what the handbook says, ermmmmm....shuts up....? Maybe...perhaps.... :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre Change (again)

Post by ronk » Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Im not sure what you mean Busterboo?

The Z4 M series had non run flats, a mini compressor and a can of gunk - they didn’t have the Tpms sensors tho‘

My question is how would a can of gunk effect the tpms sensors (about £60 each I think)

Have you had any experience of the fix if punctured?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: