Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CDV removed

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
del_tl1000r

CDV removed

Post by del_tl1000r » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Had the clutch delay valve removed a couple of days ago by a local garage for £28. Delighted with the result. Went for a good drive today, roof down ofcourse. The difference pulling away in first, changing from 1st to 2nd and changing down from 3rd to 2nd is just the outcome I was hoping for. No more shudder! To be fair it didn't do it all the time. I must have just been lucky sometimes but it was rather annoying. My E85 2.2 had one and so did my 350z. Wish I'd taken them out also. It is only a small change to the car but makes it far more pleasurable to drive and for only £28 well worth it :driving:
23i
Msport seats
CDV deleted
LED halo bulbs
LCI side repeaters
Stubby
Brushed stainless exhaust tips
Focal speakers
Pioneer amp
Kicker sub
M4 style wheels

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by Marlon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 pm

That was very similar to my experience after I'd had it removed. Happy days :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by flybobbie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Only the crappy ZF gearbox then to sort now.
One of the worst gearboxes i have had the pleasure of being annoyed by.
Never had BMW before, were earlier marks just as bad.
I drove a series 1 a few years ago, that had a nice selecting feel gearbox.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by Chris_D » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 am

flybobbie wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 pm Only the crappy ZF gearbox then to sort now.
One of the worst gearboxes i have had the pleasure of being annoyed by.
Never had BMW before, were earlier marks just as bad.
I drove a series 1 a few years ago, that had a nice selecting feel gearbox.
A gearbox oil change could help.
Did mine and though not perfect it's now 'acceptable'.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Peter-E36

CDV removed

Post by Peter-E36 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:42 am

Really interested to hear more of your thoughts on CDV / Gearbox folks :thumbsup:

@flybobbie, what specifically bothers you about the gearbox? Is it notchy when selecting gears...or a bit jerky maybe?

With regards to the CDV, what exactly can I expect to notice... I feel silly asking as I did a CDV delete on my old e36 but I did so much work at the same time it was hard to tell what the CDV did on its' own.

I'm not 100% happy with the gearbox/clutch action in my car, it sometimes feels a bit jerky during gear changes, particularly at slow speeds and mainly 1st to 2nd. I was blaming myself at first, but I've owned 20+ cars in the last 10 years, most of them manuals and "sporty" and I've never had this issue.

I also sometimes notice a bit of a delay in clutch engagement, which is literally what the CDV is designed to do, so I guess I should get rid of it.... I'm just reluctant to do any mechanical mods after having modded cars in the past. I just want to have the car drive as it should... but if a CDV is going to ruin the fun then it should go :D

Is there any downsides whatsoever to removing the CDV?
E85 3.0i

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 am

Peter-E36 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:42 am Really interested to hear more of your thoughts on CDV / Gearbox folks :thumbsup:

@flybobbie, what specifically bothers you about the gearbox? Is it notchy when selecting gears...or a bit jerky maybe?

With regards to the CDV, what exactly can I expect to notice... I feel silly asking as I did a CDV delete on my old e36 but I did so much work at the same time it was hard to tell what the CDV did on its' own.

I'm not 100% happy with the gearbox/clutch action in my car, it sometimes feels a bit jerky during gear changes, particularly at slow speeds and mainly 1st to 2nd. I was blaming myself at first, but I've owned 20+ cars in the last 10 years, most of them manuals and "sporty" and I've never had this issue.

I also sometimes notice a bit of a delay in clutch engagement, which is literally what the CDV is designed to do, so I guess I should get rid of it.... I'm just reluctant to do any mechanical mods after having modded cars in the past. I just want to have the car drive as it should... but if a CDV is going to ruin the fun then it should go :D

My understanding it that it was fitted with the U.S. market in mind, where 'stick shifts' could cause problems in the wrong hands - the CDV was an attempt to protect the clutch and gears from poor changes. For anyone who is experienced driving a manual the 'delay' just gets in the way.
911 997 Carrera S

mcbutler

CDV removed

Post by mcbutler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Peter-E36 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:42 am Really interested to hear more of your thoughts on CDV / Gearbox folks :thumbsup:

It will probably shorten the life of your DMF..
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

CDV removed

Post by mcbutler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:21 pm

My zed is absolutely fine, no snags with gearchanges etc at all. THE CDV is very useful when changing gear with the cruise on, makes it very smooth.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm . . . It will probably shorten the life of your DMF..
Why?
911 997 Carrera S

mcbutler

CDV removed

Post by mcbutler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:28 pm

The smoother a gearchange the longer a DMF lives, if your dropping the clutch, accelerating/using engine braking harshly or just doing rough gear changes the springs/dampers in the DMF will wear out a lot quicker.
Just had mine change, it was completely trashed and the clutch cover friction plate was blued with the heat of 'boy racer' high speed take offs.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:34 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:28 pm The smoother a gearchange the longer a DMF lives, if your dropping the clutch, accelerating/using engine braking harshly or just doing rough gear changes the springs/dampers in the DMF will wear out a lot quicker.
Just had mine change, it was completely trashed and the clutch cover friction plate was blued with the heat of 'boy racer' high speed take offs.
:D
911 997 Carrera S

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by Marlon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm

For 'normal' drivers the CDV is a good move, thrash it everyday and its gonna ware out the clutch regardless.
911 997 Carrera S

mcbutler

CDV removed

Post by mcbutler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Agreed, but as you say its designed to protect the clutch, it does also protect the DMF by default.
Swings and roundabouts really, the DMF, like the clutch will die one day, no one knows if you saved a few thousand miles or not, plus most cars are pre-owned so thats a huge unknown as well.
Personally I find the CDV to be a bonus once you have mastered it..

Looking at the weather forecast I we should all be getting some 'practice' next week, woo hoooo :hooters:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

srhutch

CDV removed

Post by srhutch » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:14 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:28 pm The smoother a gearchange the longer a DMF lives, if your dropping the clutch, accelerating/using engine braking harshly or just doing rough gear changes the springs/dampers in the DMF will wear out a lot quicker.
So you have no CDV fitted then?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

CDV removed

Post by Nictrix » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:30 pm

From what I have picked up removing the CDV leaves you with a higher risk of damaging the drivetrain if your gearchanges are poor.
However leaving the CDV in place could lessen the lifespan of your clutch if your gearchanges are poor.
Ours was removed years ago and we havnt missed it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)