Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
wilwong1971

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by wilwong1971 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi !

Just googled the delights of Carly coding (This name appears quite often in forums but never got round to looking it up)

Sounds like a cool tool and sponging up the knowledge right now, would love opinions on folks who have used it here:

From what I have found:

1) I can buy a WIFI dongle + App on my iphone
2) Stick a battery charger on my Z4 just in case
3) Plug the WIFI Dongle in OBC port and pair phone, run app
4) Code options like folding mirrors via key fob, DVD on the move etc.

Are there also programming codes for:

Angel eyes off with no fade (I have H8 LUX LED bulbs and they give that flicker while it goes off - heard this was due to LED bulbs not handling fade off like the normal amber bulbs)

Set the BMW speaker option to HIFI mode (I have a custom speaker and amp setup and just in case the dealers reset my Z4 to non HIFI option, save me getting charged money to get it re coded by my audio installer

Would the dealer know I have mucked about with my car and invalidate my extended warranty?

Thanks as always

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by Smartbear » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi, you really need the bona fide Carly Wi-fi dongle to get full functionality from the app (it’s a lot more expensive than an average joe eBay version)
Not all the listed features will be possible on every car, folding mirrors are one such example as my 20i refuses to be told.
It’s still a useful device though with lots to try out, I don’t know how the dealer would know you’ve used it on your car?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nick9one1

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by Nick9one1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 pm

I have Carly on an Android phone and have coded my e89, but use a cheap bluetooth adapter (I dont think this is possible on Apple). The only feature I dont seem to have access to is the iNav coding (nothing really useful here anyway).

The most useful thing I've coded was the max speed for roof opening/closing (31mph).

I dont think you can disable the fade, but you can adjust the brightness and turn off voltage monitoring.

There is a list of what is possible here - http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge-ba ... -possible/
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

AnubisZed

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 pm

You cannot code your stereo with any options using Carly. If that is what you require then you need to code using a laptop and NCSExpert.

And that list of what Carly can do is subject to the items actually being fitted to you particular vehicle as not everything is there on all cars.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

wilwong1971

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by wilwong1971 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Cheers guys, good to know .. interesting about the NCSExpert software though .. I have heard of it ...

Nick9one1

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by Nick9one1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:48 am

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 pm You cannot code your stereo with any options using Carly. If that is what you require then you need to code using a laptop and NCSExpert.

And that list of what Carly can do is subject to the items actually being fitted to you particular vehicle as not everything is there on all cars.
I have both Carly + NCS expert.

If you aren't that technically minded stick with Carly. You're very unlikely to screw anything up. If you want to experiment, and potentially have access to change coding that isn't available in Carly, then try NCS expert.

I've played around with both quite extensively, and other than increasing the roof operating speed, increasing the angel eye brightness, and removing the angel eye bulb check (so I can run LEDS's) there isn't anything else useful I've bothered coding.

All these options can be coded in Carly and NCS Expert.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

Chris1712

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by Chris1712 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Has anyone ever found anything exhaust flap related in NCS Expert? I would love to switch the drivers side exhaust flap manually rather than Sport mode + over 2.5k rpm which is what I believe it normally is?
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

R.E92

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 pm Has anyone ever found anything exhaust flap related in NCS Expert? I would love to switch the drivers side exhaust flap manually rather than Sport mode + over 2.5k rpm which is what I believe it normally is?
No manual control yet but you can alter the conditions in which it opens. Sport doesn't make a difference, roof up or down does though.

This has to be done in the ECU though. Can't be changed using NCS or Carly, you need MHD or BBFlash.

Chris1712

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by Chris1712 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm
Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 pm Has anyone ever found anything exhaust flap related in NCS Expert? I would love to switch the drivers side exhaust flap manually rather than Sport mode + over 2.5k rpm which is what I believe it normally is?
No manual control yet but you can alter the conditions in which it opens. Sport doesn't make a difference, roof up or down does though.

This has to be done in the ECU though. Can't be changed using NCS or Carly, you need MHD or BBFlash.
Interesting! Do you know the list of conditions? I thought it was just rpm > 2.5k but maybe not? I just want it in aggro mode all the time, except when I'm plodding up the motorway!

R.E92

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Interesting! Do you know the list of conditions? I thought it was just rpm > 2.5k but maybe not? I just want it in aggro mode all the time, except when I'm plodding up the motorway!
I changed mine to only close in 7th gear below 3000rpm.

There is a setpoint lookup table that defines when the flap opens based on gear, RPM and accelerator pedal position.
flap.jpg
flap.jpg (68.72 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
The second table is for when the top is down.

There is also a minimum speed (17kph as standard) where the flap is always closed.

R.E92

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Also to keep the thread on topic. Although Carly is useful, it's too expensive for it's limited functionality. They want you to pay for the app and then pay over the odds for their silly little Bluetooth adapter. Even after sending them all that money they then make you pay more for in-app purchases to do things like code a battery.

If you have a laptop then do yourself a favour and download BMW Standard Tools and BMW Rheingold software and get a BimmerGeeks DCAN cable. You can do all sorts of diagnostic, coding and service functions. Carly can code a few gimmic options but is only capable of doing 1% of what the proper BMW software does. Best of all the total cost of such a setup is just the £30 cable.

Chris1712

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by Chris1712 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm
Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm

There is a setpoint lookup table that defines when the flap opens based on gear, RPM and accelerator pedal position.

flap.jpg

There is also a minimum speed (17kph as standard) where the flap is always closed.
That looks perfect, which software is that? Would you mind explaining the numbers? Wonder if any local members have this.

I'm guessing rows is gears, columns RPM and the cells are....? 0 Means open?

lothar863

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by lothar863 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm

wilwong1971 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm Hi !

Just googled the delights of Carly coding (This name appears quite often in forums but never got round to looking it up)

Sounds like a cool tool and sponging up the knowledge right now, would love opinions on folks who have used it here:

From what I have found:

1) I can buy a WIFI dongle + App on my iphone
2) Stick a battery charger on my Z4 just in case
3) Plug the WIFI Dongle in OBC port and pair phone, run app
4) Code options like folding mirrors via key fob, DVD on the move etc.

Are there also programming codes for:

Angel eyes off with no fade (I have H8 LUX LED bulbs and they give that flicker while it goes off - heard this was due to LED bulbs not handling fade off like the normal amber bulbs)

Set the BMW speaker option to HIFI mode (I have a custom speaker and amp setup and just in case the dealers reset my Z4 to non HIFI option, save me getting charged money to get it re coded by my audio installer

Would the dealer know I have mucked about with my car and invalidate my extended warranty?

Thanks as always
I have Carly and NCSexpert and done coding with both on my e90
NCSexpert is not for the faint hearted. I got it working by loading it myself and not doing any of the pre-loaded off ebay hard drives or kits. you do have to make sure you get a compatible.
Carly is great for service interval resets if you change your own oil, brakes, etc. But those features require another unlock to buy even after you buy their app and then their adapter for coding. (i can't remember which one but I still dont have all the options)

With that said it is very powerful. On my e90 i used it to code out the mat sensor in the passenger side and just leave the passenger side air bag on since it was constantly throwing a warning since the mat sensor went bad.
A good part of the coding was in german so google translate was handy.

Carly is limited But useful for little things. Like changing the turn signal from 1-5 blinks with a half tap.
And from my experience you have to have a carly adapter.
I have a Nice OBDlink LX adapter that carly refused to code with. it would read and speak to all the ecu's in diags but would not code and they would point me to the site to buy their adapter.
A not on wireless adapters as of today if you use an apple device you need a wifi adapter. If you use android you can use either a wifi or blue tooth device.
With carly and the E89 though most of the coding I have done with the app and adapter has not worked. And some of the things I want to change are not present.
The only coding that has worked was adding a digital speed reading to the center display, speed correction, lane change signal changed from 1 to 5 blinks, door lock at speed X, and open top in motion.

Several things I want to code either have not worked or are not present in the app (long hold on trunk button to open for example)
I also cannot get the windows to roll down or up with the fob.
I am planning to look into NCSexpert for those.

R.E92

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm
Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm Interesting! Do you know the list of conditions? I thought it was just rpm > 2.5k but maybe not? I just want it in aggro mode all the time, except when I'm plodding up the motorway!

flap.jpg

That looks perfect, which software is that? Would you mind explaining the numbers? Wonder if any local members have this.

Correct with the gear on the Y axis and RPM on the X axis. The cell value is the percentage of throttle required before the valve opens. So 120 would be impossible so the valve stays shut, 0 means it's always open there provided the speed is above 17kph.

That software is just TunerPro. It's used to translate the BIN file into something readable. You would need to buy MHD to flash the modifications using a custom tune. It is possible to do it for free using BBFlash but that program is a little risky.
Best to just disconnect the vacuum pipe to the actuator and have the flap always open.

R.E92

Carly DIY on 2010 Z4 E89

Post by R.E92 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm
Chris1712 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm Interesting! Do you know the list of conditions? I thought it was just rpm > 2.5k but maybe not? I just want it in aggro mode all the time, except when I'm plodding up the motorway!

flap.jpg

I stumbled across something that does exactly what you are after: https://community.carloop.io/t/bmw-exha ... roller/237

Looks pretty cool. Carloop is for more than just exhaust flap control but this guy has been making some software that automates the flap to close when he approaches home!