Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Minor Scratch removal

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
NickBMWZ4

Minor Scratch removal

Post by NickBMWZ4 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello All,

I have some very minor scratches, probably just the top layer but it does show the lighter colour beneath. Can anyone recommend a scratch removal I can use myself. I've seen many videos with WD40 but that just seems crazy.

Nick

Busterboo

Minor Scratch removal

Post by Busterboo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:46 pm

The WD40 story's nonsense. Just go to your local dent repair man, who'll do the job better than you can and cheaper than a detailer.

(And, yes, I mean dent.)
Last edited by Busterboo on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vidi, vici, veni

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Minor Scratch removal

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:49 pm

yes the WD40 is BS, Meguair`s Ultimate Compound, with a bit of elbow grease, will easily take out minor scratches, or if you are feeling brave a DA polisher, but the compound is the cheap and easy option
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

garnierz4

Minor Scratch removal

Post by garnierz4 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:37 pm

3 products you need for this: Farecla G3, Meguilars Ultimate Compound, regular polish.

Steps:
1. Clean the area.
2. Farecla G3 - apply it by hand with a soft, wet cloth. Rub in on the affected area in a circular motion for a couple of minutes. Its reasonably abrasive and will remove medium depth scratches. Make sure you use the pads of all 5 fingers and dont press too hard with a single finger. Make sure you use it with water. Do not use on a large area until experienced.
2. Meguilars Ultimate compound. - same as above but less abrasive. It will remove any swirling caused by the G3 and give a better result. Don't be shy with the elbow when using the meguilars, 2-5 minutes of hand application should give a good result.
3. Any old regular polish. Apply over area to finish the job.

Doddle.

TR4man

Minor Scratch removal

Post by TR4man » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Or you could use Meguiars :roll:
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

NickBMWZ4

Minor Scratch removal

Post by NickBMWZ4 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Cheers for all that info guys. I’ll wait for a sunny day and get working. I seem to find more and more everyday.

huytonman

Minor Scratch removal

Post by huytonman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:52 pm

You seem to be describing a scratch that has gone through the clear coat then the paint colour itself and has reached the primer - if this is the case then I dont see how any amount of polishing will improve the situation; you will need to apply new paint to cover up the scratch first. You could have a go with touch up paint and then use the polishing options mentioned previously but I would suggest that you find a local paint shop who can take care of this professionally for you - its very easy to make a real mess of your paint by trying to sort of minor marks.

step_change

Minor Scratch removal

Post by step_change » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am

As Keith says, if the scratch is white (i.e. you can see the primer), no amount of polishing is going to remove that. Wash with soapy water on it - if you can still see the scratch through the soapy water then it is through to the primer (if the water "covers" the scratch then you *can* polish it out with cutting compound or light wet and dry sandpaper- the water fills the scratch if it's just in the top coat and thus hides the scratch). If it's through to the primer - the scratch is white [or even rusty] - then it is a paint touch up job. It is possible to do this yourself if its a very fine scratch with a Halford's (yes seriously) touch up kit for £12.99. Or take it to a local dent devil type of person for a fraction of what a panel respray would cost.

I touched up my old Z4 bumper (plastic) when I was too aggressive with an orbital polisher and burnt the paint.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav