Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35is, Stage2+

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

35is, Stage2+

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 am

Evening gents, I've been away a little while.

Had some very unfortunate family news and so on and so forth...

But back on topic, I've finally finished stage2+, fbo (full bolt on), with a custom mhd tube by wedge performance.

Very happy with the performance, the car feels very strong indeed. We are estimating 420hp@crank, 98 octane map. Dyno coming soon. Ken said we could push it harder (est. To 440-450hp/400whp), but I see little point now.

I've got a list of changes... Mainly it involves freeing up the airflow, reducing heat and removing as much plastic as possible.

- VRSF downpipes
- VRSF inlets
- VRSF intakes
- Turbosmart dual bov with z4 piping, set to 50/50
- Intercooler (BMS phoenix racing wagner rip off, but its really good value for money and works perfectly).
- alloy chargepipe with meth bung blocked off
- ngk 1 step cooler, gapped to 0.22"
- rediculously expensive motul 300V oil 5w40
- all new filters
- rb pcv valve and cap upgrade (lovely bit of kit)
- mhd custom map (based off v8 beta)

Pros and cons.

Let's start with the cons...

After a week I'm getting a little stutter/flutter on startup and I think the injectors are potentially on the way out. Feels like it's misfiring on one cylinder but no codes yet. Index 08, so fairly old (revision 12 is the latest). Could be a coil but doubt it, since it's more acting like a leaky injector than a coil breaking up. Only on cold startup.

The VRSF downpipes need heating and beating to get them to fit. Had to make a small dent. Really a massssssive pain in the arse. Took an entire day for this alone. Unfortunately it's hit the heatshield a tiny bit somewhere so it needs to go back up on the ramps.

I have realised I really don't like decats as I don't have secondary now either. It was fun for a day, but it smells like a 90's subaru and the novelty has worn off after I gas myself half to death parking in the garage. I'm looking to custom fabricate the mid cats back again, maybe upgrading to hiflow ones and putting the o2 sensors behind them, and then rewiring. I've seen that the n54 can pass mot fine with just mid cats, so as long as the o2 check passes it should be fine.

The engine bay is a mess, since the emergency brake line, airconn and dme cables foul the intakes. It's not as nice as the 335, so I may change the intake for afe one day. But for now this is fine.

The turbosmart requires maintenance, the oem diverters, doing a questionable job, do not. Every 6 months I'll have to undo the tops, take out the springs, and reoil them. Not a big deal, but it's maintenance nonetheless.

The pros...

Fast. Much faster than I expected. E90 M3's are no issue, as are 400+ Hp Jags. Its very, very fast. Same power now as an m4. I would say that now I need to tighten it up a bit with m3 bushes, arms and suspension parts. An LSD would be good but then I would probably break the ring and pinion as others have done, if it grips too hard.

No slip on the Dct, rock solid there.

The turbo spool noises are wild now. You can really hear everything and this is a fun surprise. Especially with the windows shut. Not something I expected.

Enjoying the car more than ever :)

Next plans are to look at the new motiv flex fuel, which allows ethanol at any %. The dme adapts and w plug and play just released. Works with a new eth sensor so no custom map needed every time you change the % ratio. One map to rule them all. The z4 has a stronger LPFP than the 335 so it can run e60 no problem, perhaps even e85. I'll have a word with Ken and see. If any of you have run ethanol before you'll know all that lovely power it can offer. Almost no knock and 102 Ron+, it's basically race gas. Realistically there's little point, it's fast enough, but it keeps my mind occupied :)

I'll do a little video sometime soon and upload some pics of the build.

Happy Easter all.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Yorkie Z

35is, Stage2+

Post by Yorkie Z » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:58 am

Wow that sounds fantastic, looking forward to seeing the Video :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

Busterboo

35is, Stage2+

Post by Busterboo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 am

stuartinzg wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 am No slip on the Dct, rock solid there.
Good news for us who put much less power through ours. :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

35is, Stage2+

Post by Marlon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 am

Sounds epic - eagerly awaiting video :driving: :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

stuartinzg

35is, Stage2+

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Busterboo wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 am
stuartinzg wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 am No slip on the Dct, rock solid there.
Good news for us who put much less power through ours. :thumbsup:
Yes, 600whp is no issue, Ken@wedge already has hybrid turbos and meth injection on stock dct. Mhd tuners now know how to adjust line pressure, so the clutch does not slip. This was the missing piece of the puzzle. Jb4/piggybacks don't do this (unless you run the mhd backend flash).

The same Dct and clutches are used in other more powerful cars, so it was only a matter of time. Dodson and ssp have a lot of customers for their upgraded clutches as well, plenty of options now.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

stuartinzg

35is, Stage2+

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Yorkie Z wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:58 am Wow that sounds fantastic, looking forward to seeing the Video :thumbsup:
Will get my gopro out soon. Sun's out :)

Lazza

35is, Stage2+

Post by Lazza » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 pm

stuartinzg wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 am ...maybe upgrading to hiflow ones and putting the o2 sensors behind them, and then rewiring.
Really? On my MX5 with MP62 supercharged and high flow cat I had the O2 sensors in the standard positions, the main before the cat and secondary after. I thought the main would need to be before the cat to make sure it’s reading correctly. Also the reading would change as the cat heats up causing unpredictable readings on warm up.
That’s all on an MX5 with standalone replacement ecu though - it might well be different on the Z4.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

R60BBA

35is, Stage2+

Post by R60BBA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:00 am

Interesting read OP.

Looking forward to that video :wink:
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S