Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre wear - just for information

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Havard wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 pm
Busterboo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am
Havard wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:02 am I haven't had ours done yet and I have had the car three years. Tyres are wearing well as I check them and it doesn't pull either way. I can't imagine having them checked so regularly.... :o
H.
Mine have been done 5 times in 18,000 miles. But 2 of those were 'complimentary' with new tyres (and you're not going to refuse, are you?). The other 3 were on a contract I opted for.

Of the 5, only once were all 12 measurements within parameters and needed no adjustment.
There is no right or wrong answer. With potholes being they way they are, I will probably do ours more often. If you don't you just get poor value from your tyres. Same can be said with checking inflation.

Like I said, the M doesn't seem to have an issue but the curiosity is now killing me, so I may nip in and get it looked at. How much typically does it cost?

H.
The place I went to only charges for adjustments (£15 per adjustment) our mini was in spec so the check was free :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Havard

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm
Havard wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:16 pm
Busterboo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am Mine have been done 5 times in 18,000 miles. But 2 of those were 'complimentary' with new tyres (and you're not going to refuse, are you?). The other 3 were on a contract I opted for.

Of the 5, only once were all 12 measurements within parameters and needed no adjustment.
There is no right or wrong answer. With potholes being they way they are, I will probably do ours more often. If you don't you just get poor value from your tyres. Same can be said with checking inflation.

Like I said, the M doesn't seem to have an issue but the curiosity is now killing me, so I may nip in and get it looked at. How much typically does it cost?

H.
The place I went to only charges for adjustments (£15 per adjustment) our mini was in spec so the check was free :thumbsup:
Rob
Wow. Could that get expensive if you need multiple adjustments? The guy I use in Wigan charges £40 but if nothing needs doing, I am not sure if he still charges.

H.
ImageImage

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:59 pm

It varies from chain to chain to dealer to dealer. A guy near me 'does a Hunter' on a sliding scale: the less he has to adjust, the less it costs. The last time he did my old Porsche, it was only £45, I think. Kwik Fit do a 'as many as you want in 2 years' for about £120. (They don't actually say that, but that's what it comes down to.) And many/most fitters do a part-job when you buy tyres, of course.

If you want to go deep into the game, then center [sic] gravity is the place: http://www.centregravity.co.uk/services
Vidi, vici, veni

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 am

Busterboo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:59 pm I think. Kwik Fit do a 'as many as you want in 2 years' for about £120.
I wouldn’t be happy letting Kwik Fit near my car to do anything important !
If it’s cheap then it’s cheap for a reason.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 am

Havard wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:02 am
sunnydays wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 pm
You should have your alignment done more often, I had mine done every other week, via BMW only, got them to inflate my non runflats each time aswell to ensure they were sat at the max PSI possible.
Wow. How much doe that cost?

I haven't had ours done yet and I have had the car three years. Tyres are wearing well as I check them and it doesn't pull either way. I can't imagine having them checked so regularly.... :o

H.
I was joking lol in response to busterboo having his done so much

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 am

ronk wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 am
Busterboo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:59 pm I think. Kwik Fit do a 'as many as you want in 2 years' for about £120.
I agree, of course. But for basic, routine, done-to-a-formula tasks, Kwik Fit can be as good as many 'local' garages.

For "anything important", most of us, however, are in the lap of the stealers.
Vidi, vici, veni

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:01 am

ronk wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 am
I think it also depends on the guy doing the work. I know at most KF, they don't let you anywhere near the car whilst they are working on it, but at mine I've known the guy who does the alignments for a while and he's a car nut. Therefore he's happy to engage in "tech talk" and lets me be present and get under whilst he's adjusting, he is also happy to set it as I want it, rather than "by the book"

Mike

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 am

However, let me repeat that center gravity is the place to go for serious suspension work.

They do:
• 4 wheel laser alignment (using both Beissbarth Microline kit and Hunter Hawkeye Elite TD aligner)
• Ride height setting and correction for cars with adjustable coilovers
• Damper refurbishment (external source within the UK)
• Bump steer measuring and adjustment
• Corner weight balancing
• Torsion bar re-indexing for early Porsche 911, 356, 924, 944 and 968
• Porsche 993 Kinematic toe adjustment
• Data-logging using 2D equipment
• Suspension renewal and rebuilds including rebushing and damper upgrades
• Supply and fit of Bilstein HD, B6, B8, PSS9 and PSS10, and Damptronic upgrades
• Nitron Racing, Eibach and H&R suspension upgrades
• Steering gear accident damage evaluation and rectification
• Damper dynometer testing
• In-house Damper testing (New state of the art Beissbarth equipment)

Just make an appointment and don't be shy of being in the queue behind Ferraris, high-end Porsches, McLarens et al.
Vidi, vici, veni

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 pm

I had my X1 done at Kwkfit a couple months ago and the initial printout was red on nearly all measurements, they got them all green. Paid to have the 2 year unlimited checks (bill was almost £100 anyway, and they reduced the 2 year contract to £100, so effectively it didn't cost any more than I had to pay) but I changed the car last weekend! Putting the same plate on this car, so I wonder if they will honour the rest of the 2 years. I doubt it, but worth asking.

People don't rate Kwikfit, but I've never had problems with them.

Can you get the same from the stealer? Is that what they call KDS? And how much is it?
2011 E89 sDrive20i