Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service pack

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
jonas123

Service pack

Post by jonas123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi all,

Just had my car 'serviced' (well it was a vehicle check so they didn't really do anything). I asked if I could get the oil changed over the next few months as I don't want to wait 2 years before a change, and the lady on the service desk told me if I do, it would invalidate the service pack so she didn't recommend doing it??

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure why doing an oil change should invalidate my service pack?

Thanks

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Service pack

Post by Smartbear » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:21 pm

jonas123 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm Hi all,

Just had my car 'serviced' (well it was a vehicle check so they didn't really do anything). I asked if I could get the oil changed over the next few months as I don't want to wait 2 years before a change, and the lady on the service desk told me if I do, it would invalidate the service pack so she didn't recommend doing it??

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure why doing an oil change should invalidate my service pack?

Thanks
You could get the oil changed at an independent without stamping the service book or resetting the service reminder, just keep the receipt to show when you sell it on.
Bmw won’t be any the wiser :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

eff1guy

Service pack

Post by eff1guy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:21 pm
You could get the oil changed at an independent without stamping the service book or resetting the service reminder, just keep the receipt to show when you sell it on.
Rob
Just make sure if you do that they use an original OEM oil filter, otherwise they will be very much the wiser next time your car is in for a scheduled service and your warranty will be void if you don't use OEM parts and a VAT registered garage.

When I asked my stealers about servicing outside the schedule on my service pack, they said it was no problem but I would have to pay for it as the car wouldn't be due a service. I think this is possibly what they mean by invalidating your service pack!? Maybe best to ring BMW UK and check with them
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

bob4333

Service pack

Post by bob4333 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 am

BMW and their dealers have some strange conditions concerning their service pack.

My car was due it's first service in about 800 miles time: I just happened to be out for the day a long way from home when the oil top up light came on. As I didn't want to risk anything I found the nearest dealer (Exeter) and called in.

"Top up? Certainly sir - be about 45 mins then we'll have your car in and do it for you - no charge - covered under the service pack".

"Great, but it's lunchtime (I was a bit peckish) and I don't really want to wait, can you just give me the oil and I'll go and pour it in - save you the bother"

"Sorry, can't do that - but we can sell you a litre and then you can top it up yourself".

I think it was about £15, came in a nice little bag with gloves, two fold out cardboard funnels, a couple of wet wipes and some other stuff.

All extremely pleasant and polite - but you can't help having a vision of someone smiling as they help themselves to your wallet. :?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Service pack

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am

eff1guy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 pm
Rob
Just make sure if you do that they use an original OEM oil filter, otherwise they will be very much the wiser next time your car is in for a scheduled service and your warranty will be void if you don't use OEM parts and a VAT registered garage.

When I asked my stealers about servicing outside the schedule on my service pack, they said it was no problem but I would have to pay for it as the car wouldn't be due a service. I think this is possibly what they mean by invalidating your service pack!? Maybe best to ring BMW UK and check with them
If he uses a genuine bmw filter he has no need to tell bmw, what they don't know can't hurt them 👍

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

jonas123

Service pack

Post by jonas123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 am

interesting - i would prefer to get BMW to do the oil change as I don't want to risk voiding the warranty in particular (they gave me 2 years when i bought it).

Also, are they meant to reset the service indicator after the visual check? When i put my key in, it still says 03/2018?

eff1guy

Service pack

Post by eff1guy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am
eff1guy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 pm
Rob

If he uses a genuine bmw filter he has no need to tell bmw, what they don't know can't hurt them 👍
Your bang on the money but not all independents use OEM parts
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

step_change

Service pack

Post by step_change » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 pm

BMW will do a value service oil change for a car that is three 3 years and older to be more competitive with Indy's. You have to ask them though.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav