Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Opening the boot?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ukrobotman

Opening the boot?

Post by Ukrobotman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 pm

This may seem a daft question but...... I’ve got a 2013 e89 convertible. I’ve had it a month now.
I can’t work out how to open the boot from inside the car. If the engine is running and I get out and try to open the boot I can’t, it’s locked. I have to stop the engine, remove the key and press the button to open the boot.
There doesn’t seem to be a button inside the car to do this?
Or have I missed something obvious 😳

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Opening the boot?

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Ukrobotman wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 pm This may seem a daft question but...... I’ve got a 2013 e89 convertible. I’ve had it a month now.
I can’t work out how to open the boot from inside the car. If the engine is running and I get out and try to open the boot I can’t, it’s locked. I have to stop the engine, remove the key and press the button to open the boot.
There doesn’t seem to be a button inside the car to do this?
Or have I missed something obvious 😳
Does your car auto lock when you drive away? If it stays unlocked can you leave it running & open the boot via the Bmw boot badge?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Opening the boot?

Post by flybobbie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Press the central locking button up by the the central air vent.
Some cars have optional boot release near door pillar, near your right leg, RH drive cars.

Ukrobotman

Opening the boot?

Post by Ukrobotman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:06 am

Yes mine auto locks when I drive away and there’s no button by the rear door pillar. I think it’s using the central locking button I’ll need to use. Bit odd you would think a button for the boot rrlease would be standard 🧐

Dr-Jon

Opening the boot?

Post by Dr-Jon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:48 am

You can get a button to release the boot. I have fitted one on mine. It doesn't even need to be coded just installed.
there is a cut out in the panel near the obii port. I'm sure your local BMW dealer can fit it for you, at an almighty cost.
I got my switch from ebay cost my a tenner and with a little bit of wiring took about an hour it was fitted.
now I can open the boot from inside the car with the engine running and the door locked if required.
Hope this helps
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

Ukrobotman

Opening the boot?

Post by Ukrobotman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 am

THanks dr Jon. Where and what is the obii port?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Opening the boot?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Ukrobotman wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 am THanks dr Jon. Where and what is the obii port?
Think he means the obd port, it’s on the rh side at the front of the door opening :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Opening the boot?

Post by Busterboo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Why would you want to open the boot with the engine running? :)
And isn't it illegal for the driver to exit a vehicle with the engine running, anyway? :?
Vidi, vici, veni

Andyturbo2000

Opening the boot?

Post by Andyturbo2000 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Erm...for a million different reasons. Passenger putting shopping in boot, forgot to put the shield down if you want to put the roof down...

Lazza

Opening the boot?

Post by Lazza » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:32 pm

I had exactly the same question when I first bought my 09 e89. Fly Bobbie gave the right answer.
Opening the car with the key, one press unlocks the drivers door only. 2 presses unlocks the passenger door and boot.
With the engine running you obviously can’t use the key buttons but if you unlock the car using the button by center air vents, the boot will open when you open it with the boot badge.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

sad_old_man

Opening the boot?

Post by sad_old_man » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 pm Why would you want to open the boot with the engine running? :)
And isn't it illegal for the driver to exit a vehicle with the engine running, anyway? :?
Point 1. The OP wants to open the boot from the inside which is a normal place to be with the engine running.
Point 2. Under the Road Traffic Act it is an offence for a driver to leave a vehicle unattended whilst the engine is running which wouldn't be the situation if the driver was still with the vehicle......... ie stood with the vehicle struggling to open the locked boot? I have the same problem with my e89 and although the handbook clearly shows a boot release switch located offside front drivers compartment. Don't bother looking for it because mine just has a plastic blanking cover over where it should be.

Dr-Jon

Opening the boot?

Post by Dr-Jon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:58 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:49 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 pm Why would you want to open the boot with the engine running? :)
[/quote
Point 1. The OP wants to open the boot from the inside which is a normal place to be with the engine running.
Point 2. Under the Road Traffic Act it is an offence for a driver to leave a vehicle unattended whilst the engine is running which wouldn't be the situation if the driver was still with the vehicle......... ie stood with the vehicle struggling to open the locked boot? I have the same problem with my e89 and although the handbook clearly shows a boot release switch located offside front drivers compartment. Don't bother looking for it because mine just has a plastic blanking cover over where it should be.
So did mine thats why i put the switch in. for those very reasons.. If im waiting in the car and the wife comes back from the shops with arms full of shopping, I want to open the boot with out getting out, well not open per say as it will not lift on its own , but open so she can lift it without fighting the button on the boot
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

Busterboo

Opening the boot?

Post by Busterboo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Dr-Jon wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:58 pm So did mine thats why i put the switch in. for those very reasons.. If im waiting in the car and the wife comes back from the shops with arms full of shopping, I want to open the boot with out getting out, well not open per say as it will not lift on its own , but open so she can lift it without fighting the button on the boot
A good try, but ... nah, the boot lid's too heavy.
Vidi, vici, veni

Z4monster

Opening the boot?

Post by Z4monster » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08 am

Dr-Jon wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:48 am You can get a button to release the boot. I have fitted one on mine. It doesn't even need to be coded just installed.
there is a cut out in the panel near the obii port. I'm sure your local BMW dealer can fit it for you, at an almighty cost.
I got my switch from ebay cost my a tenner and with a little bit of wiring took about an hour it was fitted.
now I can open the boot from inside the car with the engine running and the door locked if required.
Hope this helps
Do you have any details of how you did this? Would love to do this simple upgrade but have no idea where the wiring would go.