Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service visual check required

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:39 pm

I understand that our Zeds have a condition based service intervals but I have just got a service required notification on the idrive and when I have looked everything is OK and the service says something along the lines of a visual check is required?

The car is just over 3 years old with 26K on the clock and I am assuming they will just look over the car and charge a lot of cash for the privilege
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Nanu wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:39 pm I understand that our Zeds have a condition based service intervals but I have just got a service required notification on the idrive and when I have looked everything is OK and the service says something along the lines of a visual check is required?

The car is just over 3 years old with 26K on the clock and I am assuming they will just look over the car and charge a lot of cash for the privilege
Hi, I took my zed for a visual inspection a few months back-mine was around 4 years old and just under 30k miles.
All they did was tell me I had a nail in a rear tyre & that was it!
Strangely it was covered under the service pack which they had previously told me was a 3 year version?
I came away feeling slightly confused and underwhelmed by it all (or lack of) :|
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks, I don't have a service pack so no doubt there will be some charges but by the sound of things not much. Might ring around and see if it's worth doing at all.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

huytonman

Post by huytonman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Have you had it MOT'd? When mine flashed this up it was because the car thought the MOT was due/hadnt been done. The indicator needs to be reset after having the MOT completed.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm

The MOT is not due till September but have rang BMW customer care and they suggested as everything appears to be OK, taking the car to a dealer and getting them to reset the key fob and having the visual check when the next oil service is due in about 3,000 miles.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:34 am

I believe it's the MOT indicator but doesn't always get reset in the correct way or at all. You can reset it yourself on the idrive.

djstan

Post by djstan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:24 pm

You can amend the visual service check yourself - you're able to change the date so it coincides with the MOT :)
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm

djstan wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:24 pm You can amend the visual service check yourself - you're able to change the date so it coincides with the MOT :)
Thanks will have a look how to do that. It must have been the garage that set it when last in as it coincided with an email reminder that it needed one. It won't after tomorrow hopefully

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Just popped into a dealership today and asked them what this was all about and at first quite happy when I was told that they could reset it and have this check done when the next service is required in about 3,000 miles. It all went pear shaped when I asked what it would all cost. Instead of just an oil service which the car was telling me would be required I was quoted for the visual check, Oil change, Air filter, Micro filter and spark plugs (Only done 27K and new spark plugs????) Inclusive of VAT £538. :o

Needless to say I won't be using a BMW dealership and will go to a local Indy and see what really is needed. From what I can remember the last time I changed to oil I supplied all the parts myself and when I eventually found a dealership to do it only cost about £170 with labour. Spark plugs must be very expensive these days?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Nanu wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:15 pm Just popped into a dealership today and asked them what this was all about and at first quite happy when I was told that they could reset it and have this check done when the next service is required in about 3,000 miles. It all went pear shaped when I asked what it would all cost. Instead of just an oil service which the car was telling me would be required I was quoted for the visual check, Oil change, Air filter, Micro filter and spark plugs (Only done 27K and new spark plugs????) Inclusive of VAT £538. :o

Needless to say I won't be using a BMW dealership and will go to a local Indy and see what really is needed. From what I can remember the last time I changed to oil I supplied all the parts myself and when I eventually found a dealership to do it only cost about £170 with labour. Spark plugs must be very expensive these days?
They did all that to my 20i & it had only covered 20k, luckily it was covered under the service pack or I would have been running to an Indy as well :x
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold