Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swap wheels and insurance?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am

pvr wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 am Look like I was wrong then: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=109940

Pretty unbelievable though.
Wow! I'just scrolled through ombudsman decisions for insurance being voided due to modifications, there are literally hundreds and I havn't found ONE in favour of the insured party! Voided insurance and refused claims for everything from tinted windows, wiring changes, different alloys, tow bar, HID's, even where someone fitted carpet to his van FFS!

U'm food for thought here, it seems it has nothing to do with whether you know it's a mod and nothing to do with it affecting performance or safety, simply that if the insurance company terms are that they will not insure a modified car unless mods are declared regardless of type, then the ombudsman HAS to uphold their position that insurance was offered on a false declaration i.e owner said there were no mods.

ZHP, drilled discs, lip spoiler, led lamps, lowered, air filter or roof motor moved? Heads up! :| http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 am

pvr wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 am Look like I was wrong then:
de rigueur no.....?? :evil:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:14 am

john-e89 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 am
pvr wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 am Look like I was wrong then:
de rigueur no.....?? :evil:
Back to the Archers omnibus :poke:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:22 pm

My BMW dash cam has been classified as a modifIcation!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:28 pm

I’ve told mine about the swap to a MFSW and other small bits and they were fine.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm

The insurance world has gone mad. Current insurer will not cover our mini if we add bonnet stripes - it’s okay if the car was specced with them from factory.

They wouldn’t cover me painting the wheels black, but changing alloys is an approved modification. They backed down when I asked how they could tell the difference between me buying black ones or refurbing mine black?

As a laugh I asked them about a baby on board sticker. They said they’d check and get back to me :headbang:
Z4less :?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:51 pm

As a rough guess, I suspect that 75% + of the Z4 drivers are uninsured than if they are with the bad insurance companies. Retrofitting sat navs, dash covers etc would be classed as a mod then ...
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 am Look like I was wrong then: http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=109940

It was the HID mod that took it over the edge though, not the wheels. I was told by my insurer (admiral) that the dash cam, as long as it was just a plug-in one, was not a modification.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Paulr wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 pm

It was the HID mod that took it over the edge though, not the wheels. I was told by my insurer (admiral) that the dash cam, as long as it was just a plug-in one, was not a modification.
Seriously, read through some of the hundreds of adjudications,
http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/
wheels alone were sufficient in some cases. The ombudsman frequently states that it's harsh but if the insurance company's T&Cs say they will not insure modified cars without disclosure then they have no choice but to uphold the policy cancellation and claim rejection. It's a trap and an absolute scam!
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Gaffa22

Post by Gaffa22 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 am

It's a trap and an absolute scam

Is it really ? Some insurance companies maybe but.

The real trouble is it's caused by the minority, the chavs who modify vehicles and make them dangerous, drive like idiots then crash and kill someone.
Unfortunately the insurance company's tar everyone with the same brush.
I work for one of the UK's largest insurers, so does my daughter, she actually works in motor claims. You would not believe some of the bullshit people come out with about claims. And the number of fraudulent claims is unbelievable.

At the end of the day the rules are simple, you must inform the company of any known modifications from standard, if you comply with the rules you wont have any problems.
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 am

You have to agree that the UK insurance industry is fundamentally flawed though and takes any method to get out of paying. Europe based industries insure the car, not the driver, that would solve the uninsured driver issue for a great part but the industry does not want that.

Also, they cause the fraudulent cases due to their rules. In Europe, when you claim, you lose a bit of no claim and that is it. In the uk you get hammered so badly on any car that you are insured on that fraud is almost the only solution. And the final insult is on the raising of premiums based on non events. You get caught speeding- your premium rises. That only happens in the UK, again a perfect setup to encourage fraud. In the UK you get punished before an event, in Europe afterwards. Very unjust system ( won’t even go in home or health insurance which is also a big rip off.) Get burgled, your premium goes up. Insurance companies don’t understand probability calculations.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am

pvr wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 am You have to agree that the UK insurance industry is fundamentally flawed though and takes any method to get out of paying. Europe based industries insure the car, not the driver, that would solve the uninsured driver issue for a great part but the industry does not want that.

Also, they cause the fraudulent cases due to their rules. In Europe, when you claim, you lose a bit of no claim and that is it. In the uk you get hammered so badly on any car that you are insured on that fraud is almost the only solution. And the final insult is on the raising of premiums based on non events. You get caught speeding- your premium rises. That only happens in the UK, again a perfect setup to encourage fraud. In the UK you get punished before an event, in Europe afterwards. Very unjust system ( won’t even go in home or health insurance which is also a big rip off.) Get burgled, your premium goes up. Insurance companies don’t understand probability calculations.
You should try travel insurance for people with health problems, I was ill ( nothing to do with my health problem ) and had to cancel a holiday just had a letter from the insurance company asking me to phone them to and I quote. To enable them to consider a renewal!
Last edited by jabber on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

Gaffa22 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 am It's a trap and an absolute scam

Is it really ? Some insurance companies maybe but................. At the end of the day the rules are simple, you must inform the company of any known modifications from standard, if you comply with the rules you wont have any problems.
Accepting your points about chavs and rampant fraud, the "trap and scam" I'm referring to is the industries refusal to publish what is or isn't a modification. There is no logic or justification for treating things like a dash-cam, swapping wheel styles/colour or having a tow bar fitted as in any way affecting the safety or performance of a vehicle. In short people don't know where they are with this until a claims agent looks for a loophole.

I've got aftermarket glass on a wing mirror and Textar pads rather than BMW ones? The springs are standard height aftermarket replacements that if you check carefully have a slightly different wire diameter? I'm looking at the roof motor being moved to the boot, are these mods? WE can debate these, but nobody can or will say for sure until a claim is rejected and it goes to the ombudsman. A simple definition of 'modification' is required until then it's an industry scam that's using the lack of clarity and a compliant ombudsman for it's own ends :thumbsdown:
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 am

This is always a minefield and you do wonder what actually ends up at the ombudsman. I have to admit i haven't looked into this in any shape or form but I'm willing to bet the ombudsman isnt publishing full details, just a short summary or even a sentence on each judication.
For example a claim refused for a change of wheels. On the face of it this could mean anything from swappingon an e85 your 18 inch 108s for 107s or even putting 17 inch winter wheels on. It could also mean that you've gone and stuck some great big weighty 20 inchers with completely the wrong offset. If I was an insurance assessor I wouldnt have an issue with the former but I'd certainly take umbrance with the later. In deed the former I might not even realise that they weren't standard.
I guess the insurers agruement would be that the 20 inchers would effect the handling and braking of the vehicle. But perhaps the most important point would be that a driver who's likely to do such a mod is also likely to be someone who drivers more aggressively etc.

Then theres the plethora of options these days. How are you supposed to know what's standard, what's an option and what's happened post factory. Especially on newer vehicles and niche vehicles. I remember when Bmw launched their Mini, they boasted tgat there was something like 100,000 combinations of colours/options and that was best part of 20 years ago.
Zed wise take my 05 plate 3.0. It now sports clear headlights and M Sport seats. Both of which were factory options on an 05 plate but mine had neither and were retrofitted by me.
But if I was buying it now as it currently stands how would a typical buyer be reasonably expected to know that? Sames true really of my eibachs and B4s. Black oem looking springs and oem equivalent shocks that lower the car subtly over standard M sport suspension. Again is it reasonable for buyer to notice? I'd argue the same would be true on an e89 that's been retro fitted with M sport bumpers and seats for example.

That said insurance assessors aren't all knowing oracle's either and I guess alot of them miss subtle mods all the time as well. Im willing to bet the reality is it's the real in your face stuff that gets pulled. The stuff theat the assessors say stands out like a sore thumb and a owner can't really claim they didn't know anything about.
Last edited by MACK on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I get a discount from my insurer for having a dash cam fitted
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg