Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swap wheels and insurance?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:39 pm

MACK wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 am http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/
The Ombudsman is publishing the full Monty on cases here http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/

Just to clarify, the Ombudsman finds for the Insurance in every case I dip-sampled, simply because term and conditions are that the Insurance co will not insure a car with ANY modification unless its notified. The question of safety, performance or whether or not it's a factory option is apparently irrelevant. We (consumers) are wide open to rejection and you can read and weep over the absurdity of some of the cases. Carpets fitted in a van being one!
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Ewazix wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:39 pm
The Ombudsman is publishing the full Monty on cases here http://ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/

Just to clarify, the Ombudsman finds for the Insurance in every case I dip-sampled, simply because term and conditions are that the Insurance co will not insure a car with ANY modification unless its notified. The question of safety, performance or whether or not it's a factory option is apparently irrelevant. We (consumers) are wide open to rejection and you can read and weep over the absurdity of some of the cases. Carpets fitted in a van being one!
Best declare those colour coded 108s :whistle:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

And I better declare my led interior light bulbs!😂
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Brasseye

Post by Brasseye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:56 pm

My E89 came with 17" wheels (la turbines) and runflats.
The Gent had owned one before and found the 17" with runflat a great combination, good turn in with comfort.
And I am never shocked at the price of good quality rubber.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Yes, another 'grey' area :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Bmw seem to emphasise the safety aspect of runflats - yet many on here have swapped to conventional rubber - the car is then non standard - same for winter rubber - should we be telling them of these changes and potentially getting an admin charge at the start of every winter and springtime tyre change?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm Bmw seem to emphasise the safety aspect of runflats - yet many on here have swapped to conventional rubber - the car is then non standard - same for winter rubber - should we be telling them of these changes and potentially getting an admin charge at the start of every winter and springtime tyre change?
Short answer appears to be a definite 'yes' according to the Ombudsman's site. Funny thing is when I informed my insurance about non-RFT's they didn't seem to know what I was on about, then later confirmed it was OK, no cost. Again it's nothing to do with safety or performance, just simply not being as factory standard and not declared = potential voiding of policy.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Buying new and up speccing the car with all the toys at the front saves on the annual insurance premium - but then bandits only give any payouts on a basic spec car!

Heads they win tails we loose :D

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:50 pm

THink the winter tyre saga and insurance incompetence was put to bed after a previous outcry a few years ago as even the village idiot knew the insurance industry were being complete idiots.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:16 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:50 pm even the village idiot knew the insurance industry were being complete idiots.
But profiting at the same time!

Everyone wants a slice of our cash - even our after tax cash.
The insurance premium we pay potentially has the brokers 15% mark up then the insurance premium tax added to the revenue .

Ukrobotman

Post by Ukrobotman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 pm

I spoke to Churchill insurance today about my change from 19” wheels to 17” wheels
“ no problem, we’ll just make a note of it on our files” she said
I was expecting more questions. I guess not all insurance companies are the same.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Ukrobotman wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 pm I spoke to Churchill insurance today about my change from 19” wheels to 17” wheels
“ no problem, we’ll just make a note of it on our files” she said
I was expecting more questions. I guess not all insurance companies are the same.
They won't mind the wheels but Churchill is absolute turd when it comes to anything else.. they told me drilled discs were on their banned mods list..

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am

That is true and why I moved away from Churchill as all my other mods were not allowed. And I am only talking about changing gear knob and satnav retrofit.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo