Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter driving

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
David-H

Winter driving

Post by David-H » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 pm

I had the roof down on Thursday on the way to and from the starting point of a walk, mainly cos it wasn't raining, despite lack of sunshine. Must say that the others members of my walking group though that I was nuts as the high was only 4C. :oops:
No point in having a convertible though if you drive about with the roof up - may as well drive a coupe!
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

philiph

Winter driving

Post by philiph » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:23 pm

I got home at about 4.00 this afternoon. Just enough time and sunshine for a 25 mile top down drive.

Very enjoyable for me as I haven't had many opportunities to go topless since I got the Zed in November.
2017 Estoril Blue 2.0 Z4
Good spec, Only 2 pedals but other bits added to make up for that omission

Paulr

Winter driving

Post by Paulr » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Been crisp and clear as a bell in Kent recently, if a bit parky. Next weeks sounds like the Artic is moving in. Big snow forecast. Not looking forward to rear wheel drive on summer run flats!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

extaz

Winter driving

Post by extaz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I enjoy reading about all of your Z4 exploits in the UK. Although I lived for a long time in a very cold snowy area of the USA, sports cars were still quite popular. I always had a Ski rack on my car which would be a daily driver regardless of weather. On sunny days the top would be down because winters were very long and dreary. Down ski parkas and gloves were a necessity. Real winter tires as opposed to all season were also a necessity as well as studs which were common even on sports cars. In the new era of SUVs, I doubt if this is still true even in that climate. Now I live in the sunny south east USA with nearly unlimited top down. Actually it is too warm during mid-day, and the AC is on if the top is down. In winter or in trips to the mountains where it is cool the versatility of the E89 is appreciated. Their is top down with windows up which holds the heater warmth nicely and their is always the heated seats and wheel which seem silly when I recall my long past ski trips in sub zero days up north wearing skiing gear. (My Z even has a ski holder for the trunk pass thru)
There is news here about the severe storms that you are about to have there soon. When that happens here in the south there are a lot of wrecks because people think that 4 wheel drive suvs always have traction so they end up in the ditch or worse. For this reason, I would not go out in conditions that people are not accustomed to. It is just too risky, even though the Z4 might do ok.
I have watched as trucks jackknifed, cars passing me do a 360 as I was looking at taillights then headlights then taillights, cars sliding through red lights, or straight ahead on a curve, suvs inverted in the ditch etc etc.
Hope you keep us up-dated.