Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Floaty Suspension?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
supafly

Floaty Suspension?

Post by supafly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 am

I've had my E89 28i for a few months now. Before this, I had an E86 3.0si which I loved until things started wearing out on it and it was time for an upgrade. I knew the suspension would be slightly softer on the E89 and I understood that during the test drive. But after a few months of ownership, it's bothering me more every time I drive it.

Compared to the E86 it feels almost innaccurate and "floaty". Almost like the chassis is not attached to the wheels at times. When I change lanes quickly on the motorway, there is slight wobble when I straighten up. There's a tiny delay between moving the steering and the chassis following. I'm not sure if this is just how the E89 is with BMW trying to create a more comfortable car.

I've checked that it has the MSport suspension via the VIN and it does. I guess it feel a bit like when the shocks on my E86 needed replacing but this only has only done 25k miles.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just how the E89 behaves?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Marlon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 am

I've no experience driving an E89, however I'd say you're simply noticing the different driving feel in the corners between the E86 and E89
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:07 am

I’ve now driven over 10k miles in my e89 and not experienced any sloppy handling traits, it should feel tight & composed even if you corner hard.
Even sudden lane changing shouldn’t generate that much force on the suspension, I think I’d get the alignment checked & also the condition of the dampers etc
Don’t forget it’s got less weight over its nose compared to the 6 pot cars, that means it can turn harder with less tendency to understeer.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Busterboo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:40 am

Tyres? Pressures?
Vidi, vici, veni

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Maniac » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Such things I find to be highly subjective. IMO the e89 is a roadster/tourer and not a sports car.

It is the biggest gripe of motoring enthusiasts and is usually easily sorted with new suspension setups.

Do a search on here, many have upgraded the suspension.

supafly

Floaty Suspension?

Post by supafly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 pm

I had new tyres (non run-flats) in December but the problem still remains. I guess the next step is to get the alignment checked and then dampers when it goes in for a service soon. If it is just how the car is then it may be time to upgrade the suspension or swap for something else as it's not really putting a smile on my face at the moment like my old E86.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Maniac » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:57 pm

supafly wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 pmI had new tyres (non run-flats) in December but the problem still remains. I guess the next step is to get the alignment checked and then dampers when it goes in for a service soon. If it is just how the car is then it may be time to upgrade the suspension or swap for something else as it's not really putting a smile on my face at the moment like my old E86.
BMW’s own description of these cars was e85/6 a project for a fun weekend sports car. The outline for the e89 was a roadster you could use every day.

Entirely different cars for different needs. That said, you can make the car the way you want, if you have the time money and passion.

SteveSmith

Floaty Suspension?

Post by SteveSmith » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm

When I changed from OEM sized runflats to 235/35 and 255/35 non runflats I felt mine was “floaty”.

I swapped out the springs for Eibachs and it now feels so much better :thumbsup:
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by john-e89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I tried a 28i after buying the 35is, to me the less weight of the 28 was very noticible, the front end felt very floaty, so much so it put me off, I prefer the weight of the 6pot up front on the E89. To me it feels better balanced with the heavier lump even though it makes the whole car heavy. As Maniac points out the E89 is very much softer than the E85, My thoughts are you’re experiencing a transition you might not have expected. You could also try experimenting with tyre pressures as you’ve gone to non run flats, lots of conflicting views on what is best, standard or otherwise, I’d guess tyre manufacturers make a difference so worth experimenting as it’s free.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Maniac » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 pm

That’s interesting you felt the 28 to be floaty, to me it’s lighter engine made the handling more agile.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by john-e89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Maniac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 pmThat’s interesting you felt the 28 to be floaty, to me it’s lighter engine made the handling more agile.
It wasn’t the handling that was the issue, the 90 odd kg lighter front end just exaggerated the lack of steering feel to me, as I drove it I wanted weight to be added to the front. Pushing on through twisties the 35is feels as though it has a barrel of water in the boot that sloshes and is slow to transfer weight, then when it catches up it it really slams to one side, something that doesn’t happen in the M roady, with the ligher front it felt even more apparent. As with everything it’s a matter of individual preference, what’s right for one won’t be for another, but as I posted at the time it was very apparent to me. I suppose it’s nothng different to how people prefer tyre pressures, or adjustable suspension settings.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

extaz

Floaty Suspension?

Post by extaz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm

I have only driven my own Z3, my Boxster and my E89 so I admit some ignorance in regard to other models. The described floatiness and feeling of weight shift however are not present in my car. Frankly, it would be intolerable for me and I think you should look into it. The adaptable suspension and or the DSC could be intervening, improperly, as well as the telamatic steering. Sport and sport + should eliminate any sign of it also. Some possibilities could also be sway bar bushings or other chassis and suspension bushings. I had a car once that felt that way and found that the sway bar had detached. An E85 owner found a sub frame weld had failed. I suppose alignment Toe and camber could also cause it as well as shock absorber problems. Start with inflation settings at default. Check for wheel pull while driving in a straight line. Bounce the car on each corner, If it comes back up quickly the shocks are weak. Check the shocks for leaks. It could be a combination of things. Sorry to alarm you but there is the safety concern as well.

supafly

Floaty Suspension?

Post by supafly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:53 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 pm
Maniac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 pmThat’s interesting you felt the 28 to be floaty, to me it’s lighter engine made the handling more agile.
Pushing on through twisties the 35is feels as though it has a barrel of water in the boot that sloshes and is slow to transfer weight, then when it catches up it it really slams to one side, something that doesn’t happen in the M roady, with the ligher front it felt even more apparent.
This is good description of what I am feeling. The rear of the car is slow with weight transfer. Giving the steering a wiggle at say 50mph feels like there is excessive body roll but more at the rear of the car. I drove my girlfriends standard diesel A-Class last night and it feels tighter and more responsive than my Z4 :?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:28 pm

supafly wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:53 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 pm
Pushing on through twisties the 35is feels as though it has a barrel of water in the boot that sloshes and is slow to transfer weight, then when it catches up it it really slams to one side, something that doesn’t happen in the M roady, with the ligher front it felt even more apparent.
This is good description of what I am feeling. The rear of the car is slow with weight transfer. Giving the steering a wiggle at say 50mph feels like there is excessive body roll but more at the rear of the car. I drove my girlfriends standard diesel A-Class last night and it feels tighter and more responsive than my Z4 :?
Hi, are you still using rf pressures on your new non rf tyres?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Busterboo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:28 pm Hi, are you still using rf pressures on your new non rf tyres?
Rob
1 They're the same.
2 If he is, they won't be the cause of the car being 'floaty'.
Vidi, vici, veni