Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Floaty Suspension?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm

supafly wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:53 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 pm
Maniac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 pmThat’s interesting you felt the 28 to be floaty, to me it’s lighter engine made the handling more agile.
Pushing on through twisties the 35is feels as though it has a barrel of water in the boot that sloshes and is slow to transfer weight, then when it catches up it it really slams to one side, something that doesn’t happen in the M roady, with the ligher front it felt even more apparent.
This is good description of what I am feeling. The rear of the car is slow with weight transfer. Giving the steering a wiggle at say 50mph feels like there is excessive body roll but more at the rear of the car. I drove my girlfriends standard diesel A-Class last night and it feels tighter and more responsive than my Z4 :?
Yep, as far as I’m concerned it’s an E89 trait. I’ve fiddled with tyre pressures on MPSS’s but it’s still there, which is what Smartbear is getting at, they’re just not very well designed imho. Fine as a small GT car.

Having said that Stuartinzig who occasionally pops on here has modified his 35is chassis. I can’t recall what he did exactly, but he reported a significant improvement in the handling. I’m not sure if that included steering feel though. Worth dropping him a PM if you want to modify, he’s a nice chap.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:23 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:28 pm Hi, are you still using rf pressures on your new non rf tyres?
Rob
1 They're the same.
2 If he is, they won't be the cause of the car being 'floaty'.
Don’t start that again!
Oh no they’re not, oh yes they are etc etc etc
Lower the pressures & take it for a drive :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Busterboo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:23 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:28 pm Hi, are you still using rf pressures on your new non rf tyres?
Rob
1 They're the same.
Don’t start that again!
Rob
And this from the man who had ragged rfts on his front axle and non-rfts on the rear at the ZEDfest last year. :rofl:
Vidi, vici, veni

Twin Turbo

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Twin Turbo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi,

My first question is what pressures are you running, and have you tried increasing there pressure.

Yes the e89 is quite floaty in my experience especially when changing direction as it does not handle weight transfer well. One trick if your driving through s bends at speed, between courners try and settle the car, before transferring directly from an right to left courners. Sorry I not asking you to suck eggs.

I had an z4, and was an track girl, so I installed kw3’s Coilovers - what totally transformed the cars handling.

https://youtu.be/0n7gLJg7ACk

To the point it quite a few mates in m-lights 135i’s were unable to keep up with through the courners.

Improving the suspension there lots of options, I have an full set of stock suspension for sale that done 15k miles, and you can have them for £150.

Other options are thicker anti-role bar, improved springs and dampers.

It depends what you looking for, real track monster coilovers - B road worrier anti role bar, etc

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:23 pm 1 They're the same.
Don’t start that again!
Rob
And this from the man who had ragged rfts on his front axle and non-rfts on the rear at the ZEDfest last year. :rofl:
“Ragged rfts” eh? My front tyres had about 6mm of tread?
Stop changing the subject Buster :poke:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Floaty Suspension?

Post by Busterboo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 am

supafly wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 am When I change lanes quickly on the motorway, there is slight wobble when I straighten up.
This definitely isn't right on any car, is it? Time to find a good garage.
Vidi, vici, veni

extaz

Floaty Suspension?

Post by extaz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:30 am

Sorry to say but the handling characteristics being described are serious problems that no car much less a z4 should have. For your information my Z4 35i definately does not and I could not tolerate it if it did. It is fairly low mileage but now I fear that this will happen to mine as well. If it does I will do the things I mention in a previous post before being rid of it.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Floaty Suspension?

Post by MACK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:31 am

The fact that OP thinks it feels a bit like when his e86 needed new shocks might be critical here. I know his car is low mileage but tired shocks that are a bit softer in the first place coupled with softer springs than his e86 had might be all it is. I'd be tempted to try something like eibach springs coupled to bilstein b4 shocks or even the full b12 kit etc. But id first only have someone give the suspension bushes etc the once over to make sure there's nothing else coming into play here.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)