Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Critique my for sale ad? 35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Hey all,

I currently have my 35is for sale here and on auto trader, I have had some interest off this form but none off Auto trader as of yet. The ad has been live for 6 days and has had 300 views on auto trader but 0 calls as of yet.

Could anyone please advise on any improvements I could possibly make to this. It may well be a process of waiting a little bit for the right buyer, just found it odd to have so many views yet 0 calls?

Thank You!
Last edited by sunnydays on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

willgill

Post by willgill » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm

I'd expect it's the lack of sat nav because the details, pictures etc.. are all excellent

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 pm

willgill wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pmI'd expect it's the lack of sat nav because the details, pictures etc.. are all excellent
+1 Most will want Sat Nav on the flagship model or a significant saving to offset not having it.
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Honest thoughts on the car / advert / price ? ( more than happy to remove / delete anything you aren't happy with )
Pics are great quality but for me there are too many .
Structure of advert needs work , forget the " car is , car has , car ..... )
just keep it simple but provide all information a possible buyer is looking for , ie year- miles - owners -
spec - service record then any extra points you feel the buyer needs to know about your particular car . Sounds daft but a buyer who perhaps isn't clued up may need to know its a 3.0 straight 6 with 2 turbos yet still sits in low(ish) tax band
Finally the price / nav conundrum ? Agree with Pastry totally , there is always a point when the price reaches a point of temptation a buyer will overlook certain spec criteria that he may be holding out for .
Also worth a scan over the last 2 forum 35Is sold within the past few months , one with nav , one without , pretty sure Will (WRS) car was up around £15500

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=97917

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=100731
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Its too expensive......

Its a uninspiring colour combo and has poor spec.

The flagship model of any range needs to be fully loaded and have no downsides to get top money...

There was a 13 plate facelift 35is that recently sold on here for £18k,that had great colour combo and had great spec..

In comparison,yours needs to be around £15,500 to get serious interest,especially at this time of year.

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 pm

willgill wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pmI'd expect it's the lack of sat nav because the details, pictures etc.. are all excellent
Pastry wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 pm
+1 Most will want Sat Nav on the flagship model or a significant saving to offset not having it.
Thank you for the input guys, surprised Nav can have such an effect on this, but it seems like a lot of buyers favor this. I priced based on the last car on here going for £18k with Nav, how ever that car had 15k more miles than mine so I would have thought that was a fair offset?
mr wilks wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:18 pmHonest thoughts on the car / advert / price ? ( more than happy to remove / delete anything you aren't happy with )
Pics are great quality but for me there are too many .
Structure of advert needs work , forget the " car is , car has , car ..... )
just keep it simple but provide all information a possible buyer is looking for , ie year- miles - owners -
spec - service record then any extra points you feel the buyer needs to know about your particular car . Sounds daft but a buyer who perhaps isn't clued up may need to know its a 3.0 straight 6 with 2 turbos yet still sits in low(ish) tax band
Finally the price / nav conundrum ? Agree with Pastry totally , there is always a point when the price reaches a point of temptation a buyer will overlook certain spec criteria that he may be holding out for .
Also worth a scan over the last 2 forum 35Is sold within the past few months , one with nav , one without , pretty sure Will (WRS) car was up around £15500

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=97917

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=100731
Hi Mr Wilks,

Thank you for the detailed feedback, will update the structure of the advert and include the simple information as you have pointed out I have missed the basics such as it being a 3.0l twin turbo that squeezes in to the lower tax band.

I priced based off the last 35is which sold on here at £18k I beleive, it was fully loaded including nav how ever it had 15k more miles than mine, but also based on auto trader ads, the rarity of these cars imo makes them harder to price. What would you personally say is a realistic price to reach for? £15/16k would see me being cheaper than some DCT 35i cars with similar mileage, surely that would reflect this being underpriced?

Thanks
Z4M-2006 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 pmIts too expensive......
Its a uninspiring colour combo and has poor spec.
The flagship model of any range needs to be fully loaded and have no downsides to get top money...
There was a 13 plate facelift 35is that recently sold on here for £18k,that had great colour combo and had great spec..
In comparison,yours needs to be around £15,500 to get serious interest,especially at this time of year.
Hi,
The color is personal preference, but the spec its self aside from the missing Nav I would not say is poor? It has the premium hifi for example which seems pretty rare and is a good upgrade over stock. The 13 plate you referenced @ £18k also had 15,000 more miles on the clock than my car. At £15.5k it would actually be cheaper than several 35i models, surely this would be too low as reflected by market prices?

Thanks

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 pm

I didn't mention the red 35is as imo it was sold a little too cheap & the other 2 i have linked are much closer to your actual car with regard miles / year / spec .
Without your dissecting minutely your car /pricing its worth considering the overall market that you are in .
Very niche cars , very small marketplace for trading & we know (those who watch the market that is :oops: ) that many cars can sit for months on end for seemingly no apparent reason .
Your white / black combo is pretty safe imo , never going to wow like valencia or estoril but imo should give you a wider audience than red / cream :?
I suspect its simply a case of waiting for the right buyer to appreciate what you have ( could take months as it did with Wrs & Samuir's cars) but the price attached must be keen enough to not put potential buyers off .
A final perspective you may not have considered & i am happy to delete if you wish , the 35is is only available with DCT & most like your own have adaptive ride , both factors that pushed me away from purchasing one over a 35i especially when the price difference in the two was considered :( other potential buyers may think the same ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Really difficult to price in my opinion. Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford / willing to let it go for / how quickly you need to sell.

In my opinion, someone seeking out a 35is will want iDrive / Sat Nav, it’s not just for Sat Nav, it’s all the other media / iPhone / music integration that it comes with that makes a huge difference.

I’d potentially get rid of the Black Grills as well. I like them but I can imagine a lot of potential buyers may not.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

eff1guy

Post by eff1guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Do you have any extended warranty on it with BMW? What about the service history, is it full BMW and possible for a potential buyer to take out the extended warranty if they wish to? It was high on my list because these cars cost the earth when they go wrong.
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 pmIts a uninspiring colour combo
Yes, I think buyers would prefer something different like.................erm..............fiery orange :wink:

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 pm I didn't mention the red 35is as imo it was sold a little too cheap & the other 2 i have linked are much closer to your actual car with regard miles / year / spec .
Without your dissecting minutely your car /pricing its worth considering the overall market that you are in .
Very niche cars , very small marketplace for trading & we know (those who watch the market that is :oops: ) that many cars can sit for months on end for seemingly no apparent reason .
Your white / black combo is pretty safe imo , never going to wow like valencia or estoril but imo should give you a wider audience than red / cream :?
I suspect its simply a case of waiting for the right buyer to appreciate what you have ( could take months as it did with Wrs & Samuir's cars) but the price attached must be keen enough to not put potential buyers off .
A final perspective you may not have considered & i am happy to delete if you wish , the 35is is only available with DCT & most like your own have adaptive ride , both factors that pushed me away from purchasing one over a 35i especially when the price difference in the two was considered :( other potential buyers may think the same ?
Thanks for the clarification, yep that makes perfect sense. I understand that some owners may wish for the manual 35i based on what you have said as well. Based on the current market and information we have what would you say would be a safe price for my car?
SteveSmith wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 pmReally difficult to price in my opinion. Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford / willing to let it go for / how quickly you need to sell.
In my opinion, someone seeking out a 35is will want iDrive / Sat Nav, it’s not just for Sat Nav, it’s all the other media / iPhone / music integration that it comes with that makes a huge difference.
I’d potentially get rid of the Black Grills as well. I like them but I can imagine a lot of potential buyers may not.
I have the original chrome grills as stated in the ad, so that should not be an issue. Did not realise Nav was such a big want, I didn't want it or need it so didnt strike me at the time.
eff1guy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 pmDo you have any extended warranty on it with BMW? What about the service history, is it full BMW and possible for a potential buyer to take out the extended warranty if they wish to? It was high on my list because these cars cost the earth when they go wrong.
The car has the warranty that came with it when I purchased it, 3/4 services are BMW, one is an Indy.
Dav the wheel nut wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 pm
Z4M-2006 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 pmIts a uninspiring colour combo
Yes, I think buyers would prefer something different like.................erm..............fiery orange :wink:
I have had more interest in it with it being White than Fiery Orange, wrapped cars don't sell for sure lol.

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Just replying to your comment re “staying in the ad about Grills”... what do you do when looking at cars? I flick through the pictures and I’ll read the advert based on liking what I see. If I see black Grills (which a lot of people hate) then they may not even read the advert and make a judgment on the type of owner who likes the black Grills.

As stated, it’s not just the nav, I barely use the Nav, but I use (and enjoy!) the iDrive entertainment on every drive. I would discount any e89 without it.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:08 pm

SteveSmith wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 pmJust replying to your comment re “staying in the ad about Grills”... what do you do when looking at cars? I flick through the pictures and I’ll read the advert based on liking what I see. If I see black Grills (which a lot of people hate) then they may not even read the advert and make a judgment on the type of owner who likes the black Grills.

As stated, it’s not just the nav, I barely use the Nav, but I use (and enjoy!) the iDrive entertainment on every drive. I would discount any e89 without it.
Yep fair point! I know exactly what you mean about the type of owner who likes black grills lol. And the I drive entertainment is a fair point as well. I just feel kind of stuck as a lot of my previous cars have sold very quickly.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Time of year has got to be a big factor also.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 pm

sunnydays wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 pm
mr wilks wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 pm I didn't mention the red 35is as imo it was sold a little too cheap & the other 2 i have linked are much closer to your actual car with regard miles / year / spec .
Thanks for the clarification, yep that makes perfect sense. I understand that some owners may wish for the manual 35i based on what you have said as well. Based on the current market and information we have what would you say would be a safe price for my car?
I don't think you are too far away with your ask & its simply a matter of formulating the ad & maybe enticing a buyer with some pics taken somewhere more inspiring ?
Id be reluctant to go below £16k ask price so soon unless desperate to shift it . i think between £16250 / £17250 is a realistic pricepoint to achieve , the car appears to require zero spend whatsoever in the coming year so worth adding that to your listing . Id drop under the £18k to a £17500 ask / £17750 maybe ?
ive no doubt at some point in the very near future you may actually wonder why you sold as for me there really is very little to get close to the twin turbo 89s if you match the year/ miles / spec & performance stats with opposition
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti