Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water Ingress...

TeeMac

Water Ingress...

Post by TeeMac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 pm

I bought a 35is a couple of months ago, and I've enjoyed it as much as the winter weather has allowed so far.

I noticed though that the car was apt to fog up, and after a quick scout, found the culprit: An inch of water in the near side storage compartment in the boot.

Problem is I can't figure out the source of the leak - it seems to me to be either the boot lid seal as discussed at length in Maniac's great post here: https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=77478; or perhaps the runoff channel behind the rear light cluster. Either way, the boot's collecting water, and it needs sorted asap.

(Incidentally, the car does have the hitherto mysterious green grommet in the o/s roof hinge, indicating it's had the recall work previously.)

Reading the various threads, there are a few DIY fixes, whether it's the boot lid seal or the rear light channel, generally involving generous use of sealant, but I'm wondering...

...has anyone actually had new seals fitted? If so, what costs are we looking at?

Cheers for any responses.

Gaffa22

Water Ingress...

Post by Gaffa22 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:31 pm

did you buy it privately ? if not take it back and get the garage to fix it
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

TeeMac

Water Ingress...

Post by TeeMac » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Quick update...

The car is a BMW AUC, so took it along to the local dealer (the selling dealer is 300 miles away).

Was told they'd diagnose the problem, but since seals were excluded from the AUC warranty, the repair would be to my account.

Took a couple of days, but they eventually diagnosed the leak as coming from the rear light cluster seals via the run-off channel at the rear.

After some HQ/Dealer negos, BMW accepted the hit, and a new light cluster was installed FOC. Well done Parks of Hamilton for arguing the case. Apparently £350 of parts and labour.

Driving it home and I've now got a whistling roof at anything over 50mph. :headbang:

I put the roof down, no whistle. I put it up, I've got Percy fechin Edwards for company.

Anyone had similar/got a quick fix?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Water Ingress...

Post by Smartbear » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 pm

TeeMac wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 pmQuick update...

The car is a BMW AUC, so took it along to the local dealer (the selling dealer is 300 miles away).

Was told they'd diagnose the problem, but since seals were excluded from the AUC warranty, the repair would be to my account.

Took a couple of days, but they eventually diagnosed the leak as coming from the rear light cluster seals via the run-off channel at the rear.

After some HQ/Dealer negos, BMW accepted the hit, and a new light cluster was installed FOC. Well done Parks of Hamilton for arguing the case. Apparently £350 of parts and labour.

Driving it home and I've now got a whistling roof at anything over 50mph. :headbang:

I put the roof down, no whistle. I put it up, I've got Percy fechin Edwards for company.

Anyone had similar/got a quick fix?
Try treating the roof seals with gummi pfledge after stopping the roof action half way through doing it’s thing, maybe the mechanics left something laying on one & it’s become distorted, the cold weather doesn’t help.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TeeMac

Water Ingress...

Post by TeeMac » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Gummi Pfledge seems like a shot to nothing, cheers.

del_tl1000r

Water Ingress...

Post by del_tl1000r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Green grommet signiyfying a recall? I've just checked my boot and the green thing is the manual fuel flap mechanism!! It has a fuel pump symbol on it.
23i
Msport seats
CDV deleted
LED halo bulbs
LCI side repeaters
Stubby
Brushed stainless exhaust tips
Focal speakers
Pioneer amp
Kicker sub
M4 style wheels

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Water Ingress...

Post by flybobbie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Yes when you take out the right rear tail light you can see a bright green cable goes around to the fuel flap.

TeeMac

Water Ingress...

Post by TeeMac » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm

A quick round up on the further water ingress issues.

As noted previously, I had water gathering in the storage compartment in the boot. The cause was leakage behind the rear light cluster and the cluster was replaced under the AUC warranty.

Having picked the car up from the dealership, I noticed a whistling sound from the roof line when driving over 40mph.

Try as I might though, I couldn't get rid of the whistle.

Things stepped up a level during the following week, when the car started leaking rainwater/snowmelt from what appeared to be the roofline above the windscreen. The weather was relentlessly stormy, and the car was soaking it up. Not happy. The car had also started showing an intermittent alarm for the roof closure. Related, yes?

Thing was, the twin seals at the front of the roof were completely dry, and the roof appeared to be properly closed. How could that be? The water was getting into the car, but it wasn't coming in via the seals at the front of the roof.

A little poking about showed that the windscreen had begun to unbond from the frame at the top, about 12 inches along the centre, the water pooling into the overhead lights and then running across the interior roof moulding. A roll of gaffer tape later and both the leak and the whistling were sorted, albeit temporarily. The roof alarm continued though, and I figured perhaps the water was interfering with some sensor or another at the locking mechanism.

I took the car into the dealership who confirmed that, yes, the windscreen needed replaced, but no, it probably wasn't covered by the AUC warranty. Fair play to Park's again for arguing the case with BMW though, who relented and paid parts and labour as goodwill. Saved me an insurance claim and an excess.

The roof fault alarm was also investigated. Turns out, plausible as my idea seemed, the problem was entirely unrelated, instead being a faulty microswitch in the mechanism in the boot, replaced under the AUC.

So there you go. If your E89 starts immitating a maniacal minah bird, check the windscreen bond. Off out now for a spin in the snow.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Water Ingress...

Post by Maniac » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Welcome to the German idea of quality...

Glad it was a straightforward fix at least.

Busterboo

Water Ingress...

Post by Busterboo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 pm

TeeMac wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 pm I put the roof down, no whistle. I put it up, I've got Percy fechin Edwards for company.
:rofl:
Vidi, vici, veni

Amg01

Water Ingress...

Post by Amg01 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Noticed this today and have researched all the various topics on the forum,

The buyers guide says, 'BMW sealant degrades badly at around 5 yrs or so and requires all the rear sealant strip around the boot to be removed, cleaned, gutter sealant added and refitted.' (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=91935&p=1352918&hi ... S#p1352918) is there a specific guide on what exactly to replace? Should I remove the rear lights first

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=77302&p=1140057#p1140057 This topic refers to a particular area but you cant see the photos posted it refers to anymore

The damage to my boot is as shown and I am really worried. I usually don't mind putting the roof down after rain or washing it, but won't do this anymore to see if this helps as well.

Last edited by Amg01 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver E89 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Water Ingress...

Post by flybobbie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Been said a dozen times, lay some kitchen tissue around the boot and check where it gets damp.

Amg01

Water Ingress...

Post by Amg01 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:59 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 pm Been said a dozen times, lay some kitchen tissue around the boot and check where it gets damp.
Thanks flybobbie, I have looked at this thread viewtopic.php?f=45&t=77478&start=15 and I have the same failing sealant which is shown in the thread. Will try the fix suggested using new sealant, if that doesnt work, using your video, I will remove the lights and seal around them

Amg01

Water Ingress...

Post by Amg01 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:50 pm

I have undertaken the seal replacement as per this video but water is still getting in viewtopic.php?f=45&t=77478 I have put tissues in and they are wet at the front of the boot (i.e. next to the rear of the car) and the left hand side (looking into the boot). My next thing is to remove the rear lights and check them. When I remove them, do I simply put some sealant around the perimeter of the light and then put them back in place or do I need to buy replacement lights, would obviously rather avoid doing that?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Water Ingress...

Post by flybobbie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Some pics of the rear, note all the rubber bungs.
Also make sure the seals around the bulb holder part of tail lights are seated correctly.
Attachments
20161017_115222.jpg
20161017_115222.jpg (180.05 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
20161014_121651.jpg
20161014_121651.jpg (126 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
seals.jpg
seals.jpg (122.6 KiB) Viewed 2425 times