Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M or 35is ?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
step_change

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by step_change » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

I went through this paralysis by analysis too for about 5 seconds and decided on the 35is. There really is no right and wrong answer and everyone is influenced by different inputs that are relevant to them.
Coming from a 10 year old E85 I wanted something a bit more modern, recent and comfortable. I considered the Z4M but they are all ten years plus old now. Some may scoff at such a concern; maybe a ten year old car is considered a "classic" to them. And good for them. But to to me it isn't, it's a minus as I prefer a more modern car. So, it's all very personal and subjective.
We all think differently.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

sachak

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by sachak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:19 am

I'm not sure what all this z4m is more fun than 35i or 35is is all about. The 35i/is is VERY fun to drive. I have had allot of BMW's and 3 super bikes and although my super bikes were very fun on and off the track they were also very stressful to ride on the road as you never know what could go wrong every time you twist that accelerator, be it loose gravel or a bit of oil/diesel on the road or some idiot SUV doing what SUV's love doing....being idiots.

The z4 35i for me is like a super bike with 4 wheels, all the fun and speed of a super bike but all the safety that a super bike lacks. It's Especially fun with a stage 2+ MHD map. It sounds amazing and with that adaptive suspension in sports mode it handles very well but the way it takes off with that beautiful spooling up turbo sound makes it a beautiful exciting driving experience. It's got a seriously good looking beautiful interior that is very comfortable with all the bells and whistles and the DCT box is just the cherry on top. What a machine is all I can say.
It also has the looks on the exterior, For me personally it is hands down the most beautiful car BMW has ever made. It was a dream car for me from the day it was released and I still find myself spending extra time in my garage just looking at it on a very regular basis. When ever I park it and walk away I always turn around to have a good look at it as it really is such a beautiful piece of art!

Go drive both cars, everyone has their own personal preference but I would be hard pressed to hear that you prefer the older model after sitting in the 35i/is

Philly_Sweden

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by Philly_Sweden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 am

sachak wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:19 am I'm not sure what all this z4m is more fun than 35i or 35is is all about. The 35i/is is VERY fun to drive. I have had allot of BMW's and 3 super bikes and although my super bikes were very fun on and off the track they were also very stressful to ride on the road as you never know what could go wrong every time you twist that accelerator, be it loose gravel or a bit of oil/diesel on the road or some idiot SUV doing what SUV's love doing....being idiots.

The z4 35i for me is like a super bike with 4 wheels, all the fun and speed of a super bike but all the safety that a super bike lacks. It's Especially fun with a stage 2+ MHD map. It sounds amazing and with that adaptive suspension in sports mode it handles very well but the way it takes off with that beautiful spooling up turbo sound makes it a beautiful exciting driving experience. It's got a seriously good looking beautiful interior that is very comfortable with all the bells and whistles and the DCT box is just the cherry on top. What a machine is all I can say.
It also has the looks on the exterior, For me personally it is hands down the most beautiful car BMW has ever made. It was a dream car for me from the day it was released and I still find myself spending extra time in my garage just looking at it on a very regular basis. When ever I park it and walk away I always turn around to have a good look at it as it really is such a beautiful piece of art!

Go drive both cars, everyone has their own personal preference but I would be hard pressed to hear that you prefer the older model after sitting in the 35i/is
I agree with you. It all comes down to the purpose of the car. If you want a track car and are choosing between Z4M-35i/is I would say that the E86 is better to start with.

If you want a fast and nice GT/Cruiser. Go for the E89.

I have had 8 M cars and I would still say that the E89 is on off the better ones I've owend even though it's not a M.

Gaffa22

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by Gaffa22 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 am

Philly_Sweden wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 am
I have had 8 M cars and I would still say that the E89 is on off the better ones I've owend even though it's not a M.
That's good to know Philly
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

jimmybell

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by jimmybell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Stop pedalling either model because its what you have - pedal the concept of 'try before you buy, then decide', i'm surprised the z4 forum gets so easily drawn in to a 35is vs M debate.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by jimbo1958 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 pm

step_change wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pmI went through this paralysis by analysis too for about 5 seconds and decided on the 35is. There really is no right and wrong answer and everyone is influenced by different inputs that are relevant to them.
Coming from a 10 year old E85 I wanted something a bit more modern, recent and comfortable. I considered the Z4M but they are all ten years plus old now. Some may scoff at such a concern; maybe a ten year old car is considered a "classic" to them. And good for them. But to to me it isn't, it's a minus as I prefer a more modern car. So, it's all very personal and subjective.
We all think differently.
Pretty much somes up my move to the 35i from my much loved E85 3 year ago. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

step_change

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by step_change » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 pm

jimmybell wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 pm Stop pedalling either model because its what you have - pedal the concept of 'try before you buy, then decide', i'm surprised the z4 forum gets so easily drawn in to a 35is vs M debate.
Er, because this is a Z4 forum and we are all interested. That's why. No one is pedalling anything, we are sharing opinions. AKA discussing, on a Z4 discussion forum.

jimmybell

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by jimmybell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:27 am

step_change wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 pm
jimmybell wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 pm Stop pedalling either model because its what you have - pedal the concept of 'try before you buy, then decide', i'm surprised the z4 forum gets so easily drawn in to a 35is vs M debate.
Er, because this is a Z4 forum and we are all interested. That's why. No one is pedalling anything, we are sharing opinions. AKA discussing, on a Z4 discussion forum.
my bad, cant find any examples of ‘buy what i bought!’ advice in this thread.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Lazza

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by Lazza » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:43 pm

jimmybell wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:27 ammy bad, cant find any examples of ‘buy what i bought!’ advice in this thread.
I have a 35i. It’s great. Get one of those. :poke:
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:17 am

jimmybell wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 pmStop pedalling either model because its what you have - pedal the concept of 'try before you buy, then decide', i'm surprised the z4 forum gets so easily drawn in to a 35is vs M debate.
As above - although they overlap in many ways, the best attributes of each car differs significantly from those of the other. Decide what you want from a car and test both.
I love my ///M but it’s the rawness that makes it so special. I’ve modified it to make it an absolutely stonking track car and that hugely compromises the ride on badly made roads, but I love it for and despite that. The manual gearbox demands of its driver and rewards in a way that DCT never will, but it doesn’t tolerate clumsiness or inattention. I’ve beaten GT3s on the track and almost killed myself on a wet road.... I’m glad my wife doesn’t want to drive it because I’d be terrified for her every time she did so.
On the other hand, I’d love a 35is (as well) as a seriously quick and comfortable modern open top tourer. I’d fit an LSD, have it remapped and release a little more noise, then drive everywhere with a big grin on my face. Most importantly I wouldn’t feel like it’s hiding behind a tree waiting to kill me the second I let my guard down!
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by ronk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 am

Re the 35is - Don’t worry about the noise !
It’s plenty loud enough - I only wish it had a stealth mode.
I would say that even if the car is driven well within its limits it’s well outside the limits the law would allow and my limits/ability tend to be lower than the cars capability!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

step_change

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by step_change » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:28 pm

The 35is is rocket powered, it is astonishing, coming from a 2.5 E85 (which itself was a great car). Sure the Clarkson's of this world and the motoring intelligentsia may knock it but for 99% of drivers on ordinary roads it goes like s**t off a shovel and corners like an housefly. All with reasonable running costs and it looks out of this world. What is there not to like?
Yeah, I like the Z4M too.
Horses for courses, one man's meat is another's poison and a million other cliches....!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by Nanu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Lazza wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:43 pm
jimmybell wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:27 ammy bad, cant find any examples of ‘buy what i bought!’ advice in this thread.
I have a 35i. It’s great. Get one of those. :poke:
:thumbsup: What he said
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mad Professor

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by Mad Professor » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pm

If you want another super fast modern car with a folding roof then the E89 is where its at .
If you want to own a modern classic with the historic S54 power plant , to go for an occasional blat when its sunny and you may have both the time and the inclination ,which wont depreciate , and have a sense of occasion every time you take it out , and a rag top ,then its the E85 . Bottom line they are both fine cars so you really cant go wrong either way .
If you want the finest handling car ,which will make your fingers tingle and give you an inane grin for hours , sounds truly epic on full chat , and everyone will smile and wave at you [they wont do that with any Z ] , will make you feel happy , alive and vulnerable all at the same time , which is utterly impractical , will give you tinnitus on a long run ,then buy a Caterham .
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M or 35is ?

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:46 am

Mad Professor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pmIf you want another super fast modern car with a folding roof then the E89 is where its at .
If you want to own a modern classic with the historic S54 power plant , to go for an occasional blat when its sunny and you may have both the time and the inclination ,which wont depreciate , and have a sense of occasion every time you take it out , and a coupe ,then its the E86 . Bottom line they are both fine cars so you really cant go wrong either way .
If you want the finest handling car ,which will make your fingers tingle and give you an inane grin for hours , sounds truly epic on full chat , and everyone will smile and wave at you [they wont do that with any Z ] , will make you feel happy , alive and vulnerable all at the same time , which is utterly impractical , will give you tinnitus on a long run ,then buy a Westfield .
Professor, you stand corrected by a carpenter :D
90359AAF-511F-4A78-838A-6AD983128226.jpeg
90359AAF-511F-4A78-838A-6AD983128226.jpeg (210.67 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone