Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Protection

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Arcade.Eyes

Winter Protection

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am

Hey all,

So with winter here and the Zed being my only car, for now, I was wondering what you all do for the car with the frost and salt roads here.
I'm in Bonnie Scotland so the car is iced up pretty much every morning (I don't have a garage).

I'm looking for a decent outdoor car cover, any suggestions?
Also winter tires, my Zed runs on 17inch wheels and while I'm thinking of a 19 upgrade I could keep this set for winter and but some types on, anyone had any experience and can recommend a set?

Cheers
Eyes

Gaffa22

Winter Protection

Post by Gaffa22 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 am

be very careful with outdoor covers, if they flap in the wind they will damage the paint
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Winter Protection

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Arcade.Eyes wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 amHey all,

So with winter here and the Zed being my only car, for now, I was wondering what you all do for the car with the frost and salt roads here.
I'm in Bonnie Scotland so the car is iced up pretty much every morning (I don't have a garage).

I'm looking for a decent outdoor car cover, any suggestions?
Also winter tires, my Zed runs on 17inch wheels and while I'm thinking of a 19 upgrade I could keep this set for winter and but some types on, anyone had any experience and can recommend a set?

Cheers
Eyes
I've got Michelin cross climate tyres on 17inch wheels which are ok in the balmy southeast but you might need something a little more serious up in the frozen north :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

clarker63

Winter Protection

Post by clarker63 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm

On my old S2000 i used the monsoon cover like this one, which fitted really well and doesn't flap at all so caused no damage, but if the z's a daily drive I wouldn't use it.

http://www.carscovers.co.uk/BMW-Z4-CAR-COVER-2009-ONWARDS-E89.html

(Whats up with the URL tag, it doesnt appear to work at the moment, or possibly its my version of IE thats playing up....)

I'm considering a half cover for my z at the moment, as it tends to get very iced up in cold weather (even in Devon) and I can't get in it for 20 minutes whilst I try and defrost it... which is very frustrating! it doesn't stick to the seals (which Gummi Pflege is supposed to fix), my whole window doesn't go down..and I have to crawl in from the passenger seat (which is usually not stuck), squeeze over the transmission tunnel, then start it and wait for it to defrost... :headbang:

Alternatively I need to empty my garage! :D
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.