Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which Z4 35i Exhaust system did you go for? X-Pipe?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jonnoh2017

Post by Jonnoh2017 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:08 am

Yo !

So I have been questioning my exhaust system after having a custom downpipe back one made up and fitted.

Basically It sounds nice at low speeds / loads but when opened up I'm not so happy with the sound.

What I think I've put it down to is the fact the 2 down pipes both run separately to the tailpipes!.
So in theory from the rear you are hearing 2 x 3 cylinder turbos engines...?

To mix the flow and noise I'm thinking I should get a X-Pipe installed or have the downpipes merge into one single pipe for a section then back into 2!.

- Have any of you got one of these fitted with your uprated system?
- Do those that don't have the x-pipe feel like there exhaust a bit tame ?

Thanks,
Jon

djstan

Post by djstan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am

I love the sound that mine makes on a completely stock exhaust!
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Jonnoh2017

Post by Jonnoh2017 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 am

Anyone ?

Nick9one1

Post by Nick9one1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:28 pm

I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure andding an X pipe would really make much difference. Yes the flow/noise would be the same out of both tailpipes.. but the tailpipes are right next to each other anyway, as soon as the noise comes out it mixes before you hear it.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

sachak

Post by sachak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:23 am

As far as I know the stock exhaust does actually have an x in it where it mixes gases and it does definitely sound better to me than what I have on my 35i...I have 2x catless downpipes that run into two separate pipes all the way to the tail pipes. I find that a stock 35i has a deeper less raspy tone to it.

Jonnoh2017

Post by Jonnoh2017 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 am

sachak wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:23 amAs far as I know the stock exhaust does actually have an x in it where it mixes gases and it does definitely sound better to me than what I have on my 35i...I have 2x catless downpipes that run into two separate pipes all the way to the tail pipes. I find that a stock 35i has a deeper less raspy tone to it.
Yeah I think the stock exhaust had a lower grumble, I'll try to get the X pipe installed at somepoint before summer!.
How did you find doing the cats ? I am considering the decat soon too.

sachak

Post by sachak » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Jonnoh2017 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 am
sachak wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:23 amAs far as I know the stock exhaust does actually have an x in it where it mixes gases and it does definitely sound better to me than what I have on my 35i...I have 2x catless downpipes that run into two separate pipes all the way to the tail pipes. I find that a stock 35i has a deeper less raspy tone to it.
Yeah I think the stock exhaust had a lower grumble, I'll try to get the X pipe installed at somepoint before summer!.
I actually got the car without cats however I pulled the old exhaust system out from the downpipes to the backboxes and got the entire mid section rebuilt which sounded a hell of allot better than what was fitted by the previous owner. I am thinking of actually going single pipe from the downpipes to the stock back boxes with a silencer in the mid section too. I have a feeling that will sound quite good. When and if I get it done I will post before and after sound clips. :)

Jonnoh2017

Post by Jonnoh2017 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:48 pm

sachak wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm
Jonnoh2017 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 am
I actually got the car without cats however I pulled the old exhaust system out from the downpipes to the backboxes and got the entire mid section rebuilt which sounded a hell of allot better than what was fitted by the previous owner. I am thinking of actually going single pipe from the downpipes to the stock back boxes with a silencer in the mid section too. I have a feeling that will sound quite good. When and if I get it done I will post before and after sound clips. :)
Ah I see!
That's fair enough, I saw the bodge job they did on the car before you owned it, awful job lol !.

That's exactly what I'm doing, I've been trying to spec something up.
considering the decatted downpipes , into a 3.5" / 4 " centre section then onto the 2 rear boxes.

If you do it before me make sure to post :-D.

Cheers