Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just a note about winter tyres....

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
huytonman

Post by huytonman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Ive fitted them to a variety of cars since the bad winter of 2010 and even though snow has been as a scarce as a scare thing down here the benefits are still obvious when temperatures drop and the roads are wet and greasy. Generally I've bought a set of wheels with good tyres on them, the last set of 18" BMW wheels in perfect condition with equally good two year old tyres cost me £400 and they are fitted to my 535d. I had the dealer fit them when I went to collect the car so I havnt driven it on its original 19" and Im a bit worried that the 18" will ruin me due to good ride comfort and probably lower noise. Interestingly in the past Ive taken about a 10% hit on fuel use with the winters but the 535d is turning in around 41mpg with them fitted so not sure if they just work better on this car than the previous ones. I would rather have runflat winters on an E89 any day of the week if the alternative was standard radial summer tyres.
Keith

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 pm

huytonman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:18 pm Interestingly in the past Ive taken about a 10% hit on fuel use with the winters.......
Could this not just be due to the cold weather?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:48 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 pmhuytonman wrote: ↑Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:18 pm Interestingly in the past Ive taken about a 10% hit on fuel use with the winters.......

Could this not just be due to the cold weather?
I suspect it might be - I've never noticed any difference with my E46 that has had winters on it for the last 3.

Mind you down here it hasn't got seriously cold for any length of time thankfully.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

huytonman

Post by huytonman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:57 pm

The winter tyres have higher levels of adhesion, makes them stickier so harder to rotate so more fuel.at least thats my theory!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 pm

I’ve got 18” runflat Pirelli Sottozero on our 335xd as winter rubber replacing the standard 19” Bridgestone runflats - can’t say I notice and significant change comfort/ride so rest easy :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:34 am

Big advocate of winter rubber , first thing i did with my daughters Mini was fit her a set of Avon winter rubber to use all year round as they also offer greater safety on wet roads / mways
Ive also been running a set of Hankook Ice bear staggered 18s on our C Class estate .
Bought new over 2 years ago & covered 17k in that time including numerous France trips in summer & winter .
I wanted to run them all year to explore the myth that they would wear faster if used in warmer weather , my findings are that they haven't as measured today the rears are minimum 5mm & fronts minimum 6mm :) Id expect another 2 years / 13k at this rate so the £340 paid out initially for 4years / 30k is more than acceptable to me .
I would'nt run winters through summer on my Z4 though :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:34 am.
I wanted to run them all year to explore the myth that they would wear faster if used in warmer weather , my findings are that they haven't as measured today the rears are minimum 5mm & fronts minimum 6mm :) Id expect another 2 years / 13k at this rate so the £340 paid out initially for 4years / 30k is more than acceptable to me .
I would'nt run winters through summer on my Z4 though :wink:
I used Vredestein Wintracs on a Discovery 3 for years Summer and Winter and the wear rate was excellent ie half that of the standard fit Pirelli that were goosed at 20k
The Vredesteins were at about 5mm at the same miles - that was on a 2.9 tonne vehicle - but I’m another who wouldn’t leave them on a performance car.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm

I have Yokohama winters on my E46, and are way better in the winter than Dunlop all season's.
On the Z4C auto I have on a set of Dunlop Wintersport 5's. I went down from 18" staggered summers to 17" parallel slimmer winters. They're great. I hit a patch of ice on the A68 a couple of weeks ago during a 60mph overtake in the dark. No issues except the traction light came on. Last night came down the A697 which was completely white with snow. Not even a hint of slipping even up to 50mph.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic