Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Here we go again!!!!!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sad_old_man

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by sad_old_man » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Since having a BMW Advanced car eye fitted in my beloved Waminda all was well until this last month. First problem was a tyre pressure notification after being parked up whilst shopping. On the way home to check the said pressures the seat belt warning sign came on. I stopped undid the belt and then fastened it again but the light remained on with the accompanying annoying bong bong bong noise. Stopped the car switched off and removed the key.........started again and everything ok. During the last month things have steadily declined to the point where its booked in at the stealers tomorrow morning whilst i go shopping at Cheshire oaks. Every time I start it I get "excessive battery drain whilst stationary" notifications which is driving me mad. It shouldn't be the dash cam because it is fitted with a battery drain monitoring system which shuts the camera off in parking mode if it senses the drain is excessive.

The only concern i have given the car is under warranty is that during the discussion with the service muppet about booking my car in he said "the problem with the 35is is that when you are driving most of the power is taken up looking after the double clutch system and when you are under acceleration the alternator provides absolutely no charge to the battery as its all used for the clutch system?????

Totally confused, bewildered, dismayed and baffled all I can do is open a nice bottle of brandy (yes) and cook some comfort food (yes) and then have some more brandy (yes, yes, yes, yes, etc...........yes) Oh and await the deluge of bullshit from the stealers when i get my car back tomorrow night!

Life was a lot simpler when I had my Lotus elan. It just didn't work so I learned not to care?

Busterboo

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by Busterboo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Betchyaneedanewbattri.
Vidi, vici, veni

Gaffa22

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by Gaffa22 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Yep new battery needed
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

markalp

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by markalp » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm

I have a couple of duracell AA regarable ones around here somewhere, if that would help.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Great post OP!

Don't spend too much at Cheshire Oaks - you'll need plenty to pay the stealer.

Hope you get it sorted OK. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

R.E92

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Bit of a coincidence that the problem only started after the camera install. Might well be a weak battery but I wouldn't rule out the camera as being responsible for the battery drain.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:11 am

Oh the frustrations of stealer BS. Best no one tries driving a 35i at night, be lucky to get it off the drive. :wink:

clarker63

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by clarker63 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am

I replaced my battery because I thought it was knackered, but within a short time leaving the car for a week or so the new battery was flat. I too have a dashcam with a voltage sensor, but I'm not convinced it is working properly and emptying the battery :( . I've taken to disconnecting the cam when its left on my drive for any period of time... that seems to work just fine but a little annoying!
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Kugaman1

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by Kugaman1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:52 pm

I wired mine in so it goes on/off with ignition.
Would be nice to have it monitoring when parked up, but just don’t trust these voltage monitors that cut off power at say 11.8v.

Modern cars are incredibly sensitive to battery voltage being within a certain spec.

I had low voltage warnings on an Evoque, S3, X3 and now z4...... definitely will stick with on/off with ignition from now on.

sad_old_man

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by sad_old_man » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Well they still have my beloved Waminda. After having the car all day i received a phone call from them at 4.35pm asking if they could keep the car overnight to carry out battery drain tests as they had found excessive battery drain on the initial test. Strange that because two hours earlier I received a link to a video of my car from the dealer where their technician Jeaurgon stated that he had carried out the health check on my car and it was perfect?

Anyway the thot plickens which can only mean one thing to any sensible person owning a BMW! Open another bottle of brandy? (yes, yes, yes etc............)

If I am lucky, the new Z4 will be released before they run out of bullshit reasons why I cant have my car back?

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by jabber » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm

I too had a dashcam fitted with a voltage sensor if left for any period of time I got the dreaded battery voltage warning had to disconnect it in the end
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

sad_old_man

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by sad_old_man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Latest breaking news update.................... I wont get my car back until tomorrow? It would appear that the battery drain is due to the main head unit failing? The dealer doesn't stock the main head unit due to the cost of it!!!!! £2500! Total bill when Waminda returns tomorrow will be £3485.35p?

Not having a car anymore I am therefore forced to walk in 75 - 80mph winds and temperatures hovering around 3deg to the off licence to replenish my brandy stock.

The world sucks!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pmLatest breaking news update.................... I wont get my car back until tomorrow? It would appear that the battery drain is due to the main head unit failing? The dealer doesn't stock the main head unit due to the cost of it!!!!! £2500! Total bill when Waminda returns tomorrow will be £3485.35p?

Not having a car anymore I am therefore forced to walk in 75 - 80mph winds and temperatures hovering around 3deg to the off licence to replenish my brandy stock.

The world sucks!
Is that warranty or from your pocket? No way would I pay that! :roll:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

sad_old_man

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by sad_old_man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Luckily Smartbear i extended the warranty when it expired in Sept 2017. Money well spent I think, so I bought extra bottles of brandy to compensate?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Here we go again!!!!!

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:00 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pmLuckily Smartbear i extended the warranty when it expired in Sept 2017. Money well spent I think, so I bought extra bottles of brandy to compensate?
Good man :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold