Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nick9one1
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 am
Location: Newark, Nottinghamshire

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Nick9one1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm

I finally fitted the chinese downpipes this weekend!

what a job.. started saturday morning and finished midday sunday.

This is what they look like. Very well made. Nicely polished stainless and really neat TIG welds.
Image

for £139 delivered I'm very happy! even came with new gaskets.
Z4 35i Space Gray & Red Leather

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by mcbutler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Their are mumblings afoot about making a missing cat an MOT failure in the future!!!!!!!

sunnydays
Member
Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:50 am

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by sunnydays » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 pm

mcbutler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm
Their are mumblings afoot about making a missing cat an MOT failure in the future!!!!!!!
Better make good friends with your local test center then lol!
2010 E89 Z4 35is - Alpine White

Nick9one1
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 am
Location: Newark, Nottinghamshire

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Nick9one1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:20 pm

mcbutler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm
Their are mumblings afoot about making a missing cat an MOT failure in the future!!!!!!!
Exactly the reason I went with a primary cat delete, not secondary.
It's not possible to tell the car hasn't got cats without removing the undertray - something the MOT station isn't allowed to do.
Z4 35i Space Gray & Red Leather

Nick9one1
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 am
Location: Newark, Nottinghamshire

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Nick9one1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Has anyone else that has these noticed you can now hear the turbo? It's like a whistling sound.

At first I wondered if if not aligned a gasket or something properly but I've double checked everything.
Z4 35i Space Gray & Red Leather

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by mcbutler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

sunnydays wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 pm
mcbutler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm
Their are mumblings afoot about making a missing cat an MOT failure in the future!!!!!!!
Better make good friends with your local test center then lol!
Already way ahead of you there....

stijohnny
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by stijohnny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Nick9one1 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm
Has anyone else that has these noticed you can now hear the turbo? It's like a whistling sound.

At first I wondered if if not aligned a gasket or something properly but I've double checked everything.
After l had mine fitted I noticed the turbos whistling a lot but wasnt sure if that was to do with the remap or the downpipes. So are you planning on adding the charge pipe, new air intake maybe FMIC etc? I want to do more to mine this summer including suspension, not sure of the details yet, but it will be great to know what you have in mind for your Z.

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7286
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: In a barn

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Nick9one1 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:20 pm
mcbutler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm
Their are mumblings afoot about making a missing cat an MOT failure in the future!!!!!!!
Exactly the reason I went with a primary cat delete, not secondary.
It's not possible to tell the car hasn't got cats without removing the undertray - something the MOT station isn't allowed to do.
Surely they can see the downpipes have been changed just by looking under the bonnet?
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy=the thinking bears z4 :P
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i foolishly sold my trouble free car...

User avatar
Gaffa22
Member
Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 am

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Gaffa22 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm

you can't really see much down that side of the engine Rob, those 6 pots do take up a lot of room :D
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F
Image

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7286
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: In a barn

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Smartbear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Gaffa22 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm
you can't really see much down that side of the engine Rob, those 6 pots do take up a lot of room :D
Fair enough, I would have expected the 6 pots to be longer than the 4 pot but not necessarily wider? :?
I thought the N20 was pretty similar to the N54 but with 2 pots lopped off :cry:
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy=the thinking bears z4 :P
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i foolishly sold my trouble free car...

User avatar
Gaffa22
Member
Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 am

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Gaffa22 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Don't know if they are wider than the 4 pop Rob to be honest, i just had a look so see if i could see the down pipes, certainly would not be able to see if they cats or not
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F
Image

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7286
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: In a barn

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Smartbear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Gaffa22 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm
Don't know if they are wider than the 4 pop Rob to be honest, i just had a look so see if i could see the down pipes, certainly would not be able to see if they cats or not
Good news, what they don’t know can’t hurt them :)
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy=the thinking bears z4 :P
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i foolishly sold my trouble free car...

User avatar
alex
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:39 pm
Location: Southerner in Aberdeen

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by alex » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Nick9one1 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm
I finally fitted the chinese downpipes this weekend!

what a job.. started saturday morning and finished midday sunday.

This is what they look like. Very well made. Nicely polished stainless and really neat TIG welds.
Image

for £139 delivered I'm very happy! even came with new gaskets.
How are you finding them? How much difference does it make to the noise & performance?
Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better
Image
35iS - Space grey, red leather and 19" 326Ms - now gone to a fellow forum member

User avatar
Bombardino
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:57 am
Location: you can't get here from there.

Chinese down pipes, charge pipes

Post by Bombardino » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 pm

As Above...

Post Reply