Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Halfords (dashcam fitting)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
cmp999

Post by cmp999 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Just following on from the previous question about dashcams, we are also in the market but want to get them hardwired.

Question is, has anyone used the Halfords Autocentres to fit them, if so would you recommend them And can the wires be run discretely on the E89 Z4?

Cheers, Colin.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Personally, I wouldn't let a Halfords chimp near my car..

Mike

Havard

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:32 pm

I am not sure how easy it is to remove the plastics or how easily the clips can be broken. Either way, temporary set up looks terrible but we will be swapping between a number of cars and I am not buying multiple kits.

I am with Mike. I would be reluctant to let Halfords touch my car.

H.
ImageImage

obewan

Post by obewan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:13 pm

E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

wegras

Post by wegras » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm

cmp999 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:00 pmHi and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Just following on from the previous question about dashcams, we are also in the market but want to get them hardwired.

Question is, has anyone used the Halfords Autocentres to fit them, if so would you recommend them And can the wires be run discretely on the E89 Z4?

Cheers, Colin.
My son just had Halfords fit a Nextbase to his '14 Audi A6 Quattro
They refunded his £144 Audi Main Dealer bill for resetting everything, in cash ,a regular event it seems ............... :roll:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:13 pm

I hardwired mine in.
It’s actually a bit of a pain to do, as all the plastics are rock hard, unlike most other cars.
Also, fuse box access is pretty challenging.
Put it this way, when I sell the car in years to come, I will just remove the dashcam but leave the wiring in place as I can’t be doing with the hassles of removing it.

All I can say is that it takes a while and is a bit awkward in parts.....there’s no way I would let Halfords near it.

Rolls1392

Post by Rolls1392 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:29 pm

We fitted a Nextbase dashcam to our 2004 E85.
Just ran the wire under the rubber at the edge of the screen, then thru the glove box and onto the ciggy lighter.
Only snag camera has to be unplugged when ignition turned off. It doesn't turn off automatically like our X1.
Is there any way to change that?
Ta

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 pm

cmp999 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:00 pm Hi and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Cheers, Colin.
Don't bother hard wire, just run the wire behind the trim, need to remove the screws holding sun visor, pull of door seal and push behind the plastic trim, run around the glove box, then push cable under the pax side tunnel trim. Then into the centre storage, that of course if you have the cigar socket in there. Cable can't be seen.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:17 pm

I had the BMW system supplied and fitted by the main dealer - yes it was expensive but it’s a known compatible unit and fitted by techies who know the car.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

cmp999

Post by cmp999 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks all for the replies, looks like I may just buy the kits and fit them temporarily for the time being :thumbsup:

dario

Post by dario » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pm

I did mine and its fairly easy to remove the plastics. the screws that hold the sun visors hold the top windshield rail plastic and the A post pillars are easy to remove and reinstall. once the A post pillar is removed it gives access down to the fuse box. remove the side panel holding the airbag inhibit key switch and there is a nice place to put the voltage dropper.

glad i did mine. looks great now.

cmp999

Post by cmp999 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 pm

dario wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pmI did mine and its fairly easy to remove the plastics. the screws that hold the sun visors hold the top windshield rail plastic and the A post pillars are easy to remove and reinstall. once the A post pillar is removed it gives access down to the fuse box. remove the side panel holding the airbag inhibit key switch and there is a nice place to put the voltage dropper.

That sounds good dario, I don't mind attempting the trim part but don't feel comfortable with the electrical part :(

dario

Post by dario » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:47 pm

cmp999 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 pm
dario wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pmI did mine and its fairly easy to remove the plastics. the screws that hold the sun visors hold the top windshield rail plastic and the A post pillars are easy to remove and reinstall. once the A post pillar is removed it gives access down to the fuse box. remove the side panel holding the airbag inhibit key switch and there is a nice place to put the voltage dropper.

That sounds good dario, I don't mind attempting the trim part but don't feel comfortable with the electrical part :(
cmp999 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Strangely the electrical connection is even easier with the new type of fuse holder. if you haven't got the 12V-5V converter you can get them on amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1. just make sure you have the mini USB on the camera or base unit.

then select a fuse thats of low importance in the car not ABS TC or Airbags. pull that fuse, put this fuse holder in to the slot and then install the original fuse and the new fuse in to the holder. Earth the black wire on a the body under an existing nut holding something in place on the car next to the fuse box.

the fuse box can be difficult to pull down, but once the footwell dash underside cover is removed you can access the securing screw and drop the fuse box down by pulling it forward slightly and it drops down for better access.

i found this on youtube. it might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9CvUMcNQo

hope this helps.

PS you can buy the piggy back or add a circuit fuse holder form all sorts of places.

cmp999

Post by cmp999 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 am

Thank you for the info dario, I will have a look and maybe give it a go! :thumbsup:

dario

Post by dario » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 am

cmp999 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 amThank you for the info dario, I will have a look and maybe give it a go! :thumbsup:
:happyclap: