Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A scary (but fortunate) end to Z4 Ownership

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Lazza

Post by Lazza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:45 pm
firebobby wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:20 pm
ronk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:04 amI only asked as I’m off to France in the spring and I had the recollections of a must stop / Good Samaritan type of law in the country when seeing an incident like this.
I thought it was a legal responsibility that you had to stop in France.
I would like to think someone would stop if me or my family had an accident and left the road. :|
Personally I would always stop and have done so many times in the past - never mind about the law!
You can think what you like mate. You weren’t there. I have nothing to prove to you either way. I just say it as it is. Truth is, even if I could stop safely I probably wouldn’t have bothered. We were so close to the previous incident, I wouldn’t be surprised if the police could see him anyway. He didn’t exactly put himself on my Christmas card list though so I don’t feel much for him. I’m sure his car would be fine once it was dragged out of the field and the mud was hosed out of it.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:26 pm

I only asked because of my France trip later this year but personally I don’t think I could just drive away never knowing if the guy had bumped his head etc., and I could have helped - no matter how much a pillock the fella had been.

We all make our own choices - people made some good choices when I had a no fault bump years ago and I will always be grateful to those folk whoever they were.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 pm

I think it's all down to personal choice and circumstances at the time. I did stop as I usually would to make sure the guy was OK and made sure his hazzards and mine were on warning other motorists the best I could until the Police and ambulance arrived. Made sure my wife was out of the car and safe and it also allowed the nurse to concentrate on what she did best with me acting as a runner getting kit from her car. I am comfortable dealing with that type of situation but not everybody is but you cannot criticise them for that. You can only hope that if any of us are in that situation there is someone around that can help and is willing to do so.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

dk345

Post by dk345 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 pm

SO8 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:22 pm OMG !!! Just seen this. Glad you are ok ! So sad to me my old car though :-o I was a bit shocked to see the car like that .... meant in the nicest possible way ...

The most important thing is you are ok ... any car can be replaced.
I actually feel quite bad for ruining your lovely car! But, like everyone has said, it did a great job of protecting me.
Kugaman1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 am Glad your OK mate but your cars a disgrace.
You could have washed it before taking the pictures.
Actually got a lot of grief from the emergency services for the state the car was in before the accident :rofl:

But yes, anyways, went and collected my belongings from the car on the 2nd of January as it was being collected by the insurance company later that day. Here it is post recovery:

Also received a settlement figure from the insurance company on Friday... £18.5k. Told them to do better... :roll:
2013 Mineral White 35iS

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Wow - I think it must have been your lucky day OP. :eek:

I'm glad the car did a good job of protecting you! It probably helped that most of the damage seems to have been to the nearside - lucky you didn't have a passenger.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Go to your dealer and ask them what they will charge you to supply a car of similar age and spec - I would suspect you already have!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Not bad for a car with a folding aluminium roof, OP.
It looks as if the windscreen and the roll-bars did a good job in protecting you.

(I remember standing in a recovery yard, looking at my written-off car. The yard owner walked over and, not knowing who I was, looked at the wreck and said, 'I'll bet he didn't get out alive.' Plainly, he was wrong. During the accident, the windscreen had kept the roof up enough to, I reckon, save my life.)
Vidi, vici, veni

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:51 pm

There’s a 14 plate at Peter Vardy Jaguar in Aberdeen. They want £23000 for it if your looking for comparisons to show the insurance company.

https://www.petervardy.com/item/66380/B ... DSTER.html

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 pm

Ask for a replacement car like for like and let them source it. They are keen to source you a tradesman to do an insurance job rather than give you cash these days so why don't they do it with cars?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Busterboo wrote: (I remember standing in a recovery yard, looking at my written-off car. The yard owner walked over and, not knowing who I was, looked at the wreck and said, 'I'll bet he didn't get out alive.' Plainly, he was wrong. During the accident, the windscreen had kept the roof up enough to, I reckon, save my life.)
The driver’s door did a great job of holding up the roof of my inverted car right up to the moment I kicked the door open to get out... :slaphead:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:46 am

Not funny in reality, but a good post ... :rofl:
Vidi, vici, veni

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 am

Now that youve posted pics of the aftermath.....

Ive had a good look at it....pretty sure that will buff out with a machine polisher.

Seriously, hooe you get a better offer from your insurance company.....

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 pm

£18.5k ... lol

:rofl:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

dk345

Post by dk345 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 am

Yes, the car really has done me a favour. I think if I had a passenger they’d have broken bones or worse, but even on that side the roof held well enough for space for a head.

Insurance company have now improved their offer to £19.4k which is their absolute best price and top end of market valuation...

Sigh.
2013 Mineral White 35iS

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Insurance company have now improved their offer to [b wrote:£19.4k[/b] which is their absolute best price and top end of market valuation...
Sigh.
Accept the offer as long as they let you strip out any parts that may be sellable

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White