Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A scary (but fortunate) end to Z4 Ownership

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Those drainage dykes are dangerous- invert in one of those and the doors won’t open! Just got to hope it’s a dry period and the black underbody is spotted !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:19 pm This is turning into a nightmare of 'what ifs' - perhaps carry the belt cutter like this:
Potential Darwin Award winner right there!

The belt jamming is interesting because it’s one of the main excuses people have for not wearing seatbelts when they get caught. I always thought it was a load of old ballcocks - the risk of not wearing one is far higher than the risk of it jamming in a burning or flooded car - but the OP’s crash does get you thinking! :?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Actually, I did think about this.

The window hammer/seat-belt cutter goes neatly & quite firmly in both the front end of the clicked-shut door bin or in the hidey-hole with a drop-down lid near your right knee, from either of which I don't think it would jump out to do damage. (That said, in a big accident, anything's possible, of course.)

(I wouldn't, however, put it in the flimsy, limp-wristed cradle it comes with.)

The fire extinguisher's in a padded bag in the boot, together with other items, like a plastic bottle of engine coolant, light, Tyreweld, Swiss Army knife ...
Vidi, vici, veni

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:02 pm

MrPT wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:49 pm
Marlon wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:19 pm This is turning into a nightmare of 'what ifs' - perhaps carry the belt cutter like this:
Potential Darwin Award winner right there!

The belt jamming is interesting because it’s one of the main excuses people have for not wearing seatbelts when they get caught. I always thought it was a load of old ballcocks - the risk of not wearing one is far higher than the risk of it jamming in a burning or flooded car - but the OP’s crash does get you thinking! :?
Had the misfortune to be suspended upside down in a burning car when i was a nipper. Dad's Sierra estate. Long story.
However, pushing against a shattered glass-covered roof to release the seatbelt tension and the subsequent challenge of actually trying to get out of the car left me with a phobia of seatbelts or having anything around my neck - scarves, shirt collars, girls thighs 8) :lol:
I won't travel in any car without a seatbelt cutter/window smasher these days. The zed has 2 installed. :thumbsup:

edit: ur a lucky fella OP. glad u walked away. could have been much worse!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Glad you are safe ,that must have been scary , I would be thoroughly depressed , sad as it's a 35is as well, we haven't used our Zed during xmas as ice and snow on roads is so bad .Are the wheels for sale.? :roll:
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Having rolled a car at 70mph+, I was upside down in a deep ditch that wouldn't allow front or back doors to open.

I won't tell the story*, but just say that the seat-belt buckle worked perfectly normally. The OP's should have, too.

(*I thought I'd written a post on this. Perhaps I fumbled the 'Submit' or it was moderated.)
Vidi, vici, veni

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Really sorry to see this, but glad you walked away. Those extinguishers are useless in a car fire, you need sh1t loads of water to have any chance of putting a fire out. The glass breakers/cutters are OK as long as you can each it after the accident.
We were not allowed to accept any items/gifts from the public while on duty...especially cheap wine :P
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 pm

I've put out two small car fires, that might have developed into something bigger, with 'domestic' extinguishers.

One was in the headlining :? of a Renault that had been abandoned :? on a country lane in Devon. I left my empty £20 extinguisher on the roof to show the owner that someone had done something after s/he bu//ered off.

The other was an engine fire in a V8 Buick that was brewing up nicely.
Vidi, vici, veni

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 pm

I landed an aircraft and the engine caught fire due to leaking fuel, faulty carb. that was causing the engine to lose power. Suprised the extinguisher lasted only about 4 seconds, but put the fire out.
Also tried one on a starter motor fire on one of my cars, didn't put the fire out, but a washing bowl of water did.

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:19 am

Whilst doing a home made curry one night I thought I'd take a short cut and warm the poppadoms in the toaster.

Result? Fat in the poppadoms set the toaster alight within seconds, with the flames advancing in an orderly fashion to get hold of the wall cupboard mounted directly above. Then you realise a fire extinguisher is a pretty good idea (and make sure you know how to use it).

If you keep a powder type extinguisher in the car make sure you give it a real good shake every few months or so, or the powder may settle and you stand a chance of just the propellant hissing out.

Not wishing to trivialise the OP's experience - I imagine it was horrific.

elevensies

Post by elevensies » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:18 am

glad your ok :thumbsup:
support our paras
"Utrinque Paratus"
https://www.justgiving.com/paracharity

DannyNed212

Post by DannyNed212 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Whooo scary moments.. glad you are ok!
Good luck for searching a new one, that is nice to do :wink:

dk345

Post by dk345 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Unsurprisingly the car was officially written off this morning and I have collected my belongings.

To those asking, whether serious questions or not, two of the four wheels are bent in the middle :P
2013 Mineral White 35iS

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Now the “Value “ fight begins!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

freemadw

Post by freemadw » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Glad you walked away without injury. As others have said, things could have been much worse.
Sad end for the car, but at the end of the day it's just a hunk of metal.
All the best, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...