Sal.b .....Mods

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
salb
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Blackburn..Lancs

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by salb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi rob thanks for the advice...

got some cataclean today so going to use this additive with the fuel and then stick to premium unleaded.

So ill run it for another 500miles and then mapping here i come.
PROUD OWNER OF .......

BMW Z4 MSPORT:
LANDROVER DISCOVERY OVERFINCH:

User avatar
SteveSmith
Member
Member
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:33 am

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by SteveSmith » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 pm

What engine is in this??

Sorry but the plate cheapens the car. I’m a fan of pushing boundaries and I usually run a slightly shorter plate in height and sometimes length but not like that! Nothing wrong with your reg, but normal length would look better in my opinion.

Carbon aerial? Plain black OEM looking ones on eBay for £5.

And definitely complete the debadge by taking off the M badges :thumbsup:
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

Image

Busterboo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:49 am

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by Busterboo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 pm

salb wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm
Hi rob thanks for the advice...

got some cataclean today so going to use this additive with the fuel and then stick to premium unleaded.

So ill run it for another 500miles and then mapping here i come.
Cataclean? You have a diesel Z4?
Vidi, vici, veni

salb
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Blackburn..Lancs

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by salb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:07 pm

cataclean for unleaded engines.

sal
PROUD OWNER OF .......

BMW Z4 MSPORT:
LANDROVER DISCOVERY OVERFINCH:

User avatar
Marlon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9870
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Lancs.
Contact:

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by Marlon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 pm

SteveSmith wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 pm
. . .
Sorry but the plate cheapens the car. I’m a fan of pushing boundaries and I usually run a slightly shorter plate in height and sometimes length but not like that! Nothing wrong with your reg, but normal length would look better in my opinion.
. . .
I agree with this, I like the number plate but on a normal size plate it would look better.
Image
3.0si 2008 | Quantum Remap | M Sports Seats | Cruise Control | M wheel
style 224 alloys | DLV back box | CDV delete | Stainless steel B06 gear knob

User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8715
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:53 am

Nictrix wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm
The front plate would be illegal anyway as there is not enough white between the letters and the edge of the plate. Im sure it should be 25mm at the edges.
I do hope you‘re wrong - I’ve shortened mine - 15mm at the ends!
Rear plate is standard but fixed with double sided tape. :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

User avatar
jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3609
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 am

ronk wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:53 am
Nictrix wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm
The front plate would be illegal anyway as there is not enough white between the letters and the edge of the plate. Im sure it should be 25mm at the edges.
I do hope you‘re wrong - I’ve shortened mine - 15mm at the ends!
Rear plate is standard but fixed with double sided tape. :thumbsup:
see my post on page 1 with the specs
Zedless :(

Busterboo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:49 am

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by Busterboo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 am

salb wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm
... and then stick to premium unleaded.
Why? :? BMW specify 95 RON. (Look inside your fuel cap.)
Vidi, vici, veni

User avatar
jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3609
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Busterboo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 am
salb wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm
... and then stick to premium unleaded.
Why? :? BMW specify 95 RON. (Look inside your fuel cap.)
they also mention that the car can be washed in an automatic carwash in the handbook, not all advise from BMW is sound. I always use 97 ron in my z4 as do many other forum users.
Zedless :(

Lazza
Member
Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 am
Location: Wokingham

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by Lazza » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 pm

Busterboo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 am
salb wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm
... and then stick to premium unleaded.
Why? :? BMW specify 95 RON. (Look inside your fuel cap.)
Isn't 95 RON Premium Unleaded? Higher than 95 RON is Super Unleaded.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Busterboo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:49 am

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by Busterboo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Lazza wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 pm
Busterboo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 am
salb wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm
... and then stick to premium unleaded.
Why? :? BMW specify 95 RON. (Look inside your fuel cap.)
Isn't 95 RON Premium Unleaded? Higher than 95 RON is Super Unleaded.
:thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

User avatar
ph001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Of course you can run 91, 95, 97 or 99 ron fuel. It's all to do with the amount of ignition advance that ECU can run without knocking occuring. Generally, the higher the octane, the more advance you can run (within limits) which results in more power. The premium octane fuels also tend to have more advanced detergents in them to help prevent gumming and deposits forming in the fuel system.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

User avatar
Nictrix
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2980
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 am
ronk wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:53 am
Nictrix wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm
The front plate would be illegal anyway as there is not enough white between the letters and the edge of the plate. Im sure it should be 25mm at the edges.
I do hope you‘re wrong - I’ve shortened mine - 15mm at the ends!
Rear plate is standard but fixed with double sided tape. :thumbsup:
see my post on page 1 with the specs
As Jamie has shown it appears to be 11mm at the sides as well.
I am sure at some point the edges had to be bigger.
E89 2010 23i M Sport Black with Black leather

Lazza
Member
Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 am
Location: Wokingham

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by Lazza » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:35 pm

ph001 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 pm
Of course you can run 91, 95, 97 or 99 ron fuel. It's all to do with the amount of ignition advance that ECU can run without knocking occuring. Generally, the higher the octane, the more advance you can run (within limits) which results in more power. The premium octane fuels also tend to have more advanced detergents in them to help prevent gumming and deposits forming in the fuel system.
I thought the ecu used the knock sensor to detect preignition so it could detect low quality/low octane fuel and retard timing to prevent damage to the engine. I didn’t think it would also advance the timing to give more power with higher octane fuel.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

User avatar
ph001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Sal.b .....Mods

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Lazza wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:35 pm
ph001 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 pm
Of course you can run 91, 95, 97 or 99 ron fuel. It's all to do with the amount of ignition advance that ECU can run without knocking occuring. Generally, the higher the octane, the more advance you can run (within limits) which results in more power. The premium octane fuels also tend to have more advanced detergents in them to help prevent gumming and deposits forming in the fuel system.
I thought the ecu used the knock sensor to detect preignition so it could detect low quality/low octane fuel and retard timing to prevent damage to the engine. I didn’t think it would also advance the timing to give more power with higher octane fuel.
It depends what the engine was designed to run on. The S54 was 97ron so only at that octane rating will it produce the on-paper specs. Running normal unleaded, it will possibly retard the ignition at high rpm, esp if combined with low altitude and cold temps. The jury is out whether going to 99ron gives more power than stock but I suspect not.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

Post Reply