Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2009 Z4 35i Let the DIY and slight cosmetic modding begin.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:26 am

Just read your entire thread (how did I miss this before?). What an incredible journey - I'm not sure how you stuck with it through some of those horrible fixes, and I can't believe some of the shocking work done by mechanics including BMW's :x .
The headlight mods are fantastic, but way too much work for me I think. I did similar with my E85 headlights (getting them open was a long and tedious process with a dremel) and not really keen to repeat the experience.
Top job(s) and now I'm subbed to see any more work you do, but it makes me nervous about what might be lurking under the bonnet of my 35i every time I look at it now.... :? :roll:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

engine killer

Post by engine killer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:59 am

sachak wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:12 pm
Next update: This is something I have wanted to do since I got the car.

Upgraded angel eyes, I did the whole xenon setup to power the rings before however the two rings were always different colours due to the inner ring not being a proper external perspex ring like the outer ring. So it was time...

Lights removed, I tried to open them myself as I have opened many lights, but BMW decided to give me the middle finger when designing the Z4 and decided to use a glue called Permaseal to seal these headlights so opening them up the conventional way using a heatgun and oven wasn't happening.
I sent the lights off the Violet electronics and they opened the lights for me and returned them to me the dame day.

I ordered this Butyl glue which is the standard glue bmw uses in most other models. "Z4 always has to be different!!!" I used this to reseal the headlights for easy opening next time.

lights opened.

The center ring I spoke about.
[hr]

The replacement halos!!! :smilebounce:

Outer ring, if only the smaller inner ring was the same!

And its out!

Mechenisim for lighting inner and outer ring, outer rin is lit by light bouncing off a little mirror inside this and the inner ring is lit from the light shining out like a torch giving a bottom of a beer bottle lighting effect.

Blacking out the chrome bits using high heat spray paint.

inner ring almost ready for spraying, I plasti-dipped this as its very smooth and wont be taking any heat.

Many many hours later and one light is done, allot of dremeling was required!
ImageImage

new setup next to old!

First test.

Indicator test.

Nice neat wiring!

Hazy dirty lens

good as new! This made a monumental difference in light output and aesthetics!

old next to new for comparison once closed.

fitted to the car.

closer to what the colour actually looks like. They are pure white!

indicator test
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihnSK_2p9P0[/youtube]

more test
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jsBC4tMEzI[/youtube]

some day time pics

Hope you guys like. :)
the lights are even better than LCI. sadly i dont possess the skill to do it myself but again they are gorgeous :thumbsup:

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:37 am

Great thread - I've also not run into it until now, very interesting reading. Your mechanic mentioned at the start of the thread should be shot :)

Couple of things made me chuckle.

First time I removed the airbag on my E89 it took me about 40 minutes to get it off, very frustrating - I can now do it in about 30 seconds. I wonder if everyone has this experience.

On my E85, when swapping steering wheels over, I forgot to put the main bolt back on which holds the wheel to the car. Put everything together, including the airbag, gave it a good yank to check all was well, the wheel came off the car in my hands and unclipped the front of the slip ring with it. I was left holding the steering wheel in mid air, with a meter of electrical connection tape leading from the wheel to the slip ring similar to the mess in your photos. Could have had a little cry :rofl:

Luckily I had a spare assemble in the loft, so just swapped the whole slip ring over. Quite funny looking back, wish I had a picture of me holding the steering wheel in the air!
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:39 am

Anyone know how to open these headlights or anywhere that will do it?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Anyone attempted to illuminate the inner blank light. Would seem a good opportunity to fit something in the if the headlamp unit is taken apart and the angels eyes changed or modified.
I might get itchy fingers on this lock down.
Perhaps a 12v spot mini led running light could be fitted in there wired to the main light.
Always seemed a bit mean of BMW to give the impression it as twin fake lights.

Ouroux71

Post by Ouroux71 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:45 am

A thoroughly detailed and frightening journey through botched reapir-land.... A big respect to you and your efforts...

Could you highlight somewhere how you go about polishing up the underbonnet metal parts? I don't have a Dremmel so I'm not sure what I would need in terms of parts/accessories..
2.3SDrive 2009 6spd, 47K: Sapphire black.PDC, Ski Hatch, Ext- Lighting, headlamp wash, storage pack, Canberra Beige leather, rain sensor/auto lights, auto rear mirror, seat heating, wind deflector, 19'' wheels. B16 suspension, cruise, BT, rear camera