Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Difference Between the z4 35i and 35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:04 pm

The.Analyst wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:01 pm When I looked at it there were only a very small number of items that a 35is must have that didn’t occur elsewhere..

The speedo marked with 35is

The car mats marked with 35is

340 bhp ish vs 304 bhp plus an overboost function for 7 seconds

That’s it..

Everything else was not necessarily mandated and or could be deleted

So silver mirror caps were not present on all 35is

Badges could be deleted
The 35is has a different exhaust system as well :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Ah yes forgot that :headbang:
Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:06 pm

So except for all the differences, they are the same? :D :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:06 pm So except for all the differences, they are the same? :D :D
For a brand new car in its day yes there were a few changes. today compared to a 35i the only thing that isn’t easily fixed to make the two technically identical is a 35is speedo…even that there are people who will do that face plate.

So that’s quite a price premium for a speedo and a few holes in an exhaust?

Just can’t change the VIN number otherwise you could easily turn a 35i onto a 35is for a small number of pounds..

Not that it matters anyway….most people reckon tired adaptive suspension is a bit anticlimactic.
Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 pm

The.Analyst wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm
Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:06 pm So except for all the differences, they are the same? :D :D
For a brand new car in its day yes there were a few changes. today compared to a 35i the only thing that isn’t easily fixed to make the two technically identical is a 35is speedo…even that there are people who will do that face plate.

Just can’t change the VIN number otherwise you could easily turn a 35i onto a 35is for a small number of pounds..

Not that it matters anyway….most people reckon tired adaptive suspension is a bit anticlimactic.
Sour grapes, mate?
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 pm

I'm not sure where you lot are finding these well-specced 35i's for so much less than a 35is, certainly not on Autotrader where a LCI 30k 35i without adaptive suspension costs £26k but a LCI 20k 35is costs £27k - a grand extra for much lower mileage and all the extras without having to modify anything. :tumbleweed:

I'm also curious where you find a louder exhaust for the 35i for "a small number of pounds".
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm

tiglon wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 pm I'm also curious where you find a louder exhaust for the 35i for "a small number of pounds".
:D :D :D
istockphoto-184639599-612x612.jpg
istockphoto-184639599-612x612.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 298 times
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:33 pm

The ‘i’ is to the ‘is’ like the Boxster is to the 911. (Nah, it isn’t!) But you’ve all asked Boxster owners why they didn’t buy a 911, only to hear long laments explaining a Boxster is better than a 911. Lame.

I find the ‘i’ a superb motor. If I owned one I’d be putting laps on ‘is’. Full stop.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm

Dear Comrades,

I thank you all for your most kind assistance which has been of huge benefit enabling me to utilise the inherent knowledge of the members of this forum for the extrapolative purpose to which their replies have been put.

I have now become far more cognizant of the difference betwixt the BMW Z4 35i and the BMW Z4 35is which in fact, appear to be quite modest.

From what I have been able to glean from your most helpful replies is:

The 35is has the nomenclature of 35is emblazoned upon the instrumentation, footwell carpets and upon the front wings albeit this is an delete option.

The 35is exhaust is 10 decibels greater.

The suspension on the 35is may be adjusted to a harder setting upon engaging Sport Mode.

On some colours the exterior mirrors on the 35is are painted silver.

The 35is is possessed of thirty six brake horse power more than the 35i.

I have one more query: I note that 'Hill Start' is usually stated in an advertisement as an Optional Extra. Whilst I am possessed of an minuscule degree of knowledge, it is nevertheless my understanding, that the Dual Clutch Transmission on the 35i and 35is will allow the motor car to roll backwards on a hill; I am presupposing the 'Hill Start Assist' option eliminates this,... is the case, please?

Once again I thank you all for your most kind and generous assistance.

With kind regards,

MAD

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 pm
The.Analyst wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Sour grapes, mate?
No not all..I could have afforded whatever I wanted..my choice was driven by colour and spec not price.

I’m pointing out that if you plan to modify a stock car a 35i can be a better starting point than a 35is.

I tried a 35is with adaptive suspension and certainly wouldn’t pay a price premium for it.

On the other hand if a 35is in the right colour had come up I wouldn’t have rejected for any ideological reasons..

The point being that a decent re-map and new suspension would have eliminated the ‘extra features’ that you are paying for.

But each to their own beliefs..

A 35is is a marketing man’s dream…a bit of zero cost fluff and sell it for a major mark up.

If they really wanted to do a M class car then they could have at least put a decent inter cooler on it, that would have removed the need for the silly overboost and some decent suspension plus a LSD.

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 pm

tiglon wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 pm I'm not sure where you lot are finding these well-specced 35i's for so much less than a 35is, certainly not on Autotrader where a LCI 30k 35i without adaptive suspension costs £26k but a LCI 20k 35is costs £27k - a grand extra for much lower mileage and all the extras without having to modify anything. :tumbleweed:

I'm also curious where you find a louder exhaust for the 35i for "a small number of pounds".
On AT today the bottom 5 ish cars are 35i at £14k ish average ..the top 5 car ish cars are 35is at £23k ish..

As someone pointed out a bit of work on a reasonator box or baffle box with a 4.5 inch grinder and a welder would get you to the same point.

Given that there were precious few changes to 35i / 35is over its run, paying big money for a newer one doesn’t buy you a lot..

Condition is much more important than age or mileage

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:21 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm Dear Comrades,

I thank you all for your most kind assistance which has been of huge benefit enabling me to utilise the inherent knowledge of the members of this forum for the extrapolative purpose to which their replies have been put.

I have now become far more cognizant of the difference betwixt the BMW Z4 35i and the BMW Z4 35is which in fact, appear to be quite modest.

From what I have been able to glean from your most helpful replies is:

The 35is has the nomenclature of 35is emblazoned upon the instrumentation, footwell carpets and upon the front wings albeit this is an delete option.

The 35is exhaust is 10 decibels greater.

The suspension on the 35is may be adjusted to a harder setting upon engaging Sport Mode.

On some colours the exterior mirrors on the 35is are painted silver.

The 35is is possessed of thirty six brake horse power more than the 35i.

I have one more query: I note that 'Hill Start' is usually stated in an advertisement as an Optional Extra. Whilst I am possessed of an minuscule degree of knowledge, it is nevertheless my understanding, that the Dual Clutch Transmission on the 35i and 35is will allow the motor car to roll backwards on a hill; I am presupposing the 'Hill Start Assist' option eliminates this,... is the case, please?

Once again I thank you all for your most kind and generous assistance.

With kind regards,

MAD
Hill start is a software function of the DSC/ABS system..it can be toggled on and off with a suitable app.. :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm I have one more query: I note that 'Hill Start' is usually stated in an advertisement as an Optional Extra. Whilst I am possessed of an minuscule degree of knowledge, it is nevertheless my understanding, that the Dual Clutch Transmission on the 35i and 35is will allow the motor car to roll backwards on a hill; I am presupposing the 'Hill Start Assist' option eliminates this,... is the case, please?
At idle the DCT box will allow the car to roll backwards on a hill, the hill start assist will hold it for a few seconds once the foot brake is released giving the driver time to apply the throttle without the car rolling backwards.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Dear Comrade The.Analyst,

I thank you for your response. However, would it be possible, please, to provide greater detail as to the operation of the Hill Start device,... for example, does it actuate at the very instant it detects the motor car is about to roll backwards?

Thank you and kind regards,

MAD

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:28 pm

Chippie wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 pm
Z4MAD wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm I have one more query: I note that 'Hill Start' is usually stated in an advertisement as an Optional Extra. Whilst I am possessed of an minuscule degree of knowledge, it is nevertheless my understanding, that the Dual Clutch Transmission on the 35i and 35is will allow the motor car to roll backwards on a hill; I am presupposing the 'Hill Start Assist' option eliminates this,... is the case, please?
At idle the DCT box will allow the car to roll backwards on a hill, the hill start assist will hold it for a few seconds once the foot brake is released giving the driver time to apply the throttle without the car rolling backwards.
Chippie wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 pm
Dear Comrade Chippie,

Thank you, your post preceded my response to The.Analyst and crossed somewhere betwixt Jupiter and Mars :D

With kind regards,

MAD