Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warranty for a used E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smash

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Smash » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:34 pm

As some of you are aware I’m in the process of locating a used E89, the issue is I am lost in the world of warranties and would like to have one if possible for an older car when finally purchased. Can anyone clarify if they have purchased a warranty for an older used car or can advise the most suitable option to cover, for example a 2010 23i with 50-70k on the clock? Must cover major mechanical and electrical issues including folding roof. Thanks in advance Ash

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Ash, depending on certain criteria you may able to get a BMW warranty if it covers what you need.

Use a car reg that roughly meets your criteria and it’ll give you a quote.

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index/

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Ash, my RAC warranty covers the roof but beware they only pay for one hour of diagnosis time.

If you can get a BMW warranty then that's the way to go.
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Smash

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Smash » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:40 pm Ash, depending on certain criteria you may able to get a BMW warranty if it covers what you need.

Ahh I see just tried it, thanks Andy. I notice it is considerably cheaper if you find a car under 60k miles. Suppose it must have the BMW services at the main dealer to partake.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 pm

Smash wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:40 pm Ash, depending on certain criteria you may able to get a BMW warranty if it covers what you need.

Ahh I see just tried it, thanks Andy. I notice it is considerably cheaper if you find a car under 60k miles. Suppose it must have the BMW services at the main dealer to partake.
    Yes mileage makes a difference, I’m not 100% sure but I think if it’s been serviced to BMWs schedule it may still qualify. They’re actually very helpful so give them a call if something catches your eye and you can also discuss the coverage to make sure it meets your needs :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Smash

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Smash » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:06 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 pm
      Smash wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Yes mileage makes a difference, I’m not 100% sure but I think if it’s been serviced to BMWs schedule it may still qualify. They’re actually very helpful so give them a call if something catches your eye and you can also discuss the coverage to make sure it meets your needs :thumbsup:
      Sound advice Andy, I may call them prior to checking out a car to see if it is in their database, it would a great option for me as there isn’t many if any BMW Independents near me or within 80 miles.

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 pm

Smash wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:06 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 pm
      Smash wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:43 pm Ahh I see just tried it, thanks Andy. I notice it is considerably cheaper if you find a car under 60k miles. Suppose it must have the BMW services at the main dealer to partake.
      Sound advice Andy, I may call them prior to checking out a car to see if it is in their database, it would a great option for me as there isn’t many if any BMW Independents near me or within 80 miles.
      I’m the same, no indies for 85 miles.

One thing to be aware of when using that site, if it comes up and says something like quote not available on this vehicle it sometimes means the vehicle is already covered by them. That could be either an annual or monthly policy so doesn’t automatically mean it’ll transfer to you

Smash

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Smash » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:27 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 pm
        Smash wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:06 pm
        Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 pm Yes mileage makes a difference, I’m not 100% sure but I think if it’s been serviced to BMWs schedule it may still qualify. They’re actually very helpful so give them a call if something catches your eye and you can also discuss the coverage to make sure it meets your needs :thumbsup:
        I’m the same, no indies for 85 miles.

One thing to be aware of when using that site, if it comes up and says something like quote not available on this vehicle it sometimes means the vehicle is already covered by them. That could be either an annual or monthly policy so doesn’t automatically mean it’ll transfer to you
        Ah ok thanks. I’ve done a couple of checks with different vehicles, with the £250 excess one came up at £875 the other £457 so there is a fair bit of difference all to mileage it seems.

flybobbie
        Lifer
        Lifer

Warranty for a used E89

Post by flybobbie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:48 pm

What do you anticipate going wrong on a 23i. My 12year old car on 92k miles.
        Engine gearbox seem bullet proof.
        Roof failures well documented on forum, get local garage to fix.

Pondrew
        Lifer
        Lifer

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Pondrew » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:36 am

flybobbie wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:48 pm What do you anticipate going wrong on a 23i. My 12year old car on 92k miles.
        Engine gearbox seem bullet proof.
        Roof failures well documented on forum, get local garage to fix.
        Agreed. If you find a well looked after car (get an AA or RAC inspection before you commit) then it's roof; generally switches or relays which are cheap to replace, or battery issues, which is cheap to replace. Anything else is unlikely.
        If you are looking for peace of mind, get a new lease.
        I would also guess a comprehensive warranty on a 10-12 year old car is going to cost a few beans (and the premium will rocket next renewal if you claim).
        All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
        E89 20i Now fully dried
        Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
        Mazda3 sold
        Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

N4LLY

Warranty for a used E89

Post by N4LLY » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:47 pm

I did the quote check and also got £ 457 or £ 45 a month is that good ?

For 2014 20i Msport @ 51300 Miles

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:55 pm

N4LLY wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:47 pm I did the quote check and also got £ 457 or £ 45 a month is that good ?

For 2014 20i Msport @ 51300 Miles
        I suppose like any insurance/warranty, not if you don’t use it but could be a lifesaver if you do need to use it.

Zed Baron

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Ive had my 23i 7 years now (it will be 12 this year), in that time all thats gone wrong is a broken spring which I fixed for £50 (touch wood). I can see having the warranty as piece of mind (just make sure it covers everything... read the small print) and £45 a month (and I can see the premium going up every year as the car gets older) doesn't sound a lot, but if you total that x 7 years and then on add on servicing costs, its starts to build up, especially for a car thats only really used at the weekends. If I had something like a 35is then I would probably think differently.

N4LLY

Warranty for a used E89

Post by N4LLY » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:57 pm

Wish i had it earlier this year. This cost me £ 1908.-- :tumbleweed:
          BMW repair.png
          BMW repair.png (305.9 KiB) Viewed 414 times

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Silverstar

Warranty for a used E89

Post by Silverstar » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:28 pm

N4LLY wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:57 pm Wish i had it earlier this year. This cost me £ 1908.-- :tumbleweed:

BMW repair.png
          That must be at a main dealer?
          2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red