Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wiper blades

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper blades

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:09 am

I have never owned a car where the wiper blades just glide over windshield and make non noise.
So new windshield, bought some new Bosch twin pack 20/21 wipers from Halfords.
Looked slightly different to "same" i took off.
So first decent rain and drivers wipers jiggling on every full stroke.
OK took some time to bed in and clean but wobbles at end of stroke even after cleaning the blade.
Starting to think the 21 blade is too long and should be 20.
For now put the old 21 inch back on, seems slightly better.

I'm thinking the cheap Wilko one's worked better, probably more support where arm meets blade.

Stash36

Wiper blades

Post by Stash36 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:32 pm

I think the amount of water on screen needs to be just right for a slick and silent sweep. Might be worth seeing how they are with some foam screen cleaner sprayed on first, I've had those in the past and been brilliant, obv doesn't last that long but does show how good the blades can be in ideal conditions

R.E92

Wiper blades

Post by R.E92 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:58 pm

The only way of getting silent wipers that work right is to buy the BMW ones. It's crap having to pay £40 for wiper blades but it's the only way.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper blades

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:08 pm

Well i fitted the new 20 inch on the drivers side, seems to work a lot better and just had a good test driving home in storm. It just seems more stable. Also think the car wash shampoo i use (which is very good) is very waxy so need to give the screen a good clean every time i use it.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper blades

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 pm

Ok, so I'm prepared to be laughed out of the county on this one but...........
Tried all sorts of different glass cleaners and still got smeary, jiggly, noisy wiper blades.

Finally I have found something that works perfectly for me............. wait for it................. Mr Muscle glass cleaner!

Spray on and wipe off with a microfibre cloth, then put some on the cloth and clean the wiper blades too.
Works for me. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Wiper blades

Post by Silverstar » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:20 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:58 pm The only way of getting silent wipers that work right is to buy the BMW ones. It's crap having to pay £40 for wiper blades but it's the only way.
+1 I find this to be the case with many cars.

Incidentally I believe this topic has been covered before and the original BMW blades aren't exactly 21 and 20" from memory one measure around 19.75 or something like that.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper blades

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Well in thundery down pour could barely see through windshield, will have try Mr Muscle. Tried a few different cleaners, normally resorted to T cut. But it could be what's left of some windshield wash in reservoir causing greasy smear. Will drain that out.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper blades

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:05 pm

Silverstar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:20 pm
R.E92 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:58 pm The only way of getting silent wipers that work right is to buy the BMW ones. It's crap having to pay £40 for wiper blades but it's the only way.
+1 I find this to be the case with many cars.

Incidentally I believe this topic has been covered before and the original BMW blades aren't exactly 21 and 20" from memory one measure around 19.75 or something like that.
Have seen metric sizes, inch just nearest equivalent.

Busterboo

Wiper blades

Post by Busterboo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 pm

Played the same games, of course. My experience is that enuff_zed is right and windscreen & wiper cleaning is key to quiet use.

As for make & size, I use Bosch with a spoiler on the driver's side, both 21".

However, they both lift at speed, especially the one with the spoiler*. So, I may well have to resort to R.E92's 'Buy BMW'.

(*A neighbour's E89 must be even worse, because his with the spoiler is upside down. :D )
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper blades

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:55 pm

Busterboo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 pm Played the same games, of course. My experience is that enuff_zed is right and windscreen & wiper cleaning is key to quiet use.

As for make & size, I use Bosch with a spoiler on the driver's side, both 21".

However, they both lift at speed, especially the one with the spoiler*. So, I may well have to resort to R.E92's 'Buy BMW'.

(*A neighbour's E89 must be even worse, because his with the spoiler is upside down. :D )
Maybe they work better when he reverses? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

warmasice

Wiper blades

Post by warmasice » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:13 am

After wasting a load of money buying Bosch et al, the only and best solution is buying genuine ones from the dealership. The last inch of the passenger wiper sits flush with the windscreen too, unlike all the others. Really played with my OCD that did. :rofl:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Wiper blades

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:43 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:04 pm Well in thundery down pour could barely see through windshield, will have try Mr Muscle. Tried a few different cleaners, normally resorted to T cut. But it could be what's left of some windshield wash in reservoir causing greasy smear. Will drain that out.
The other thing I do is use my older Farecla clay mitt and clean the screen with that about once a month or so. Gets all the ingrained dirt off.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Wiper blades

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:32 am

You often need to physically bend the wiper arm so the blade is dragged across the screen rather than pushed. Thats what makes it judder mostly.

Adil_3

Wiper blades

Post by Adil_3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:31 am

So I've just purchased and installed these, having previously had multiple replacement bosch wipers. I took a jump to try out a cheapo alternative for the interim, before i reorder the bosch wiper blades.

They sit spot on, have slits down the blade and the wipe is just so much better. I ordered style (b) because they look cooler 😂, shipping was quick and have tested it for a week or so everyday.

Super happy for 15 quid with shipping cant complain.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_uH9zbx

mcbutler

Wiper blades

Post by mcbutler » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:23 pm

I use Bosch, make sure they come with the spoiler attached, no noise whatsoever and perfect cleaning.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather