Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot luggage cover fallen apart

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Conrod

Post by Conrod » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:09 pm

It looks to me as though it should be possible to produce a 3D model of these for printing. If you're happy to send me your broken cover I could take detailed measurements and see what I can come up with. Obviously the two halves would need to be joined together using three countersink head bolts, but it may be possible (depending on the thickness of the top) to rebate the holes and conceal the bolt heads with flush plastic covers.

Is the other right cover a mirror image of the broken left one?
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:47 pm

Conrod, I suspect if you could accurately 3D print an unbroken one then you wouldn’t need to bolt them.

As I explored how mine fitted together it seemed to be a two part process.

The top piece clips into the bottom piece at the back behind the bar (or the other way round I can’t remember) through essentially hooking itself together in a through, under & up motion whilst simultaneously the top piece secures to the bottom piece with three bits of plastic that clip into each other.

This secures the unit until it breaks.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Our 3D solution. Have a look at the following thread:

https://www-zroadster-com.translate.goo ... ax,nv,elem

Mine is successfuly in use since about 3 years.

The user "faulsocke" is the owner of the 3D file.
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:35 pm

Try a dab of plastic adhesive on the inside of one of the parts, if it melts the plastic slightly, then glue it and clamp it for 24 hours, job done
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm

I think it looks like a proper job with proper fasteners! :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:05 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:56 pm Our 3D solution. Have a look at the following thread:

https://www-zroadster-com.translate.goo ... ax,nv,elem

Mine is successfuly in use since about 3 years.

The user "faulsocke" is the owner of the 3D file.
Many thanks for the link Robbi - I'll have a thorough read of that tomorrow! :wink:
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:33 pm

I see the 3d version using carriage bolts :P

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 pm

All the 3d printiing bollox aside. Three machine screws and nuts seem to do the trick!

I am more interested in why a broken plastic hinge on the shelf would stop the boot lid from closing (from the original post)? I am presuming the rear window panel and roof panel sit on the shelf when stowed and are controlled by hydraulic rams, with the microswitches making signalling the next stage.

Thinking about it logically, do the microswitches for the boot stowing have an "over stow" switch (best way I can explain what I mean)?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:47 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 pm All the 3d printiing bollox aside. Three machine screws and nuts seem to do the trick!
Yes, the left one can be repaired with screws.

But the right one always breaks down in several parts due to a completely different issue compared to the left.

In addition, on many Z4 one or both broken parts are missing and require a complete replacemement => 3D printing is a valuable option.
Pondrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 pm Thinking about it logically, do the microswitches for the boot stowing have an "over stow" switch (best way I can explain what I mean)?
To be honest, this is the next Z4 rumor!

There is an additional hall sensor in the bottom of the boot, that checks the position of the luggage cover. If it's not closed, the roof will not start to move.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am

Problem with bracket is bad design and too little plastic to support the loads.
The bracket is designed to hold the cover in the correct position for it to lock in place and make the connection between metal plate on the left and hall switch. Otherwise it would be all floppy and a pain to line up.
The brackets break because if people are a bit too aggressive pulling out the protector it puts a point load on the little pins which are trying to hold the lid in the correct position. Then puts a splitting load on the plastic.
Something that looked good on a 3D cad system designed by a graduate, instead of being designed by a Victorian forge master.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLwqy7mabYQ

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:06 am

flybobbie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am Problem with bracket is bad design and too little plastic to support the loads.
Correct, but at least, the 3 melted pins are too weak, not the brackets itself. This issue is based on these melted connections.

Interesting video, as it exactly shows the 2(!) different issues:

On the left, the 3 melted pins will break.

On the right, "somebody" at BMW decided to reduce the number of pins on the aluminum stick. That's the reason, why the load is as double as high on the remaining single pin and the bracket ALWAYS will break in a 45° angle. That's a typical sign for overloads, same as on house walls.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:27 am

Yes bit odd the single pin.
Yes the melted pins a bit of a bodged idea.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:40 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 pm All the 3d printiing bollox aside. Three machine screws and nuts seem to do the trick!

I am more interested in why a broken plastic hinge on the shelf would stop the boot lid from closing (from the original post)? I am presuming the rear window panel and roof panel sit on the shelf when stowed and are controlled by hydraulic rams, with the microswitches making signalling the next stage.

Thinking about it logically, do the microswitches for the boot stowing have an "over stow" switch (best way I can explain what I mean)?
I have no idea about the operation of the sensors and switches, but just to confirm…. once I did my drilling and screwing fix the roof operated normally straight away. Generally as most on here have probably seen, if the boot cover is not fully in position the car just bongs at you and flashes up the yellow widow warning on the dash, until you get out and do the walk of shame round to the boot. I guess one of the switches/sensors does a last minute check before closing the boot cover and picked up the fact that although the cover was engaged, something wasn’t quite right, maybe at that point the dash should display a yellow warning showing bits of BMW busted plastic :D

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:56 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:40 am I have no idea about the operation of the sensors and switches...
...I guess one of the switches/sensors does a last minute check before closing the boot cover ...
No, nonsense.

I've already posted an exact description in this thread. Why do you try to invent some new rumours?

It's a hall sensor, that checks the exact position of the cover. If one or both hinges fail, the required position can't be hit anymore.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932