Dash cam

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
birdy_z4
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 am
Location: Warwickshire

Dash cam

Post by birdy_z4 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm

I’ve just fitted the dash cam below, seems good and a small size so looks good and seems to work well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Felixlamb
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Dash cam

Post by Felixlamb » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am

I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:35 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
Felix, do you have any pictures of the rear one fitted. Still in discussions with bmw about fitting a rear one :thumbsup:
Currently Zedless 5 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

User avatar
Chippie
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Wakefield

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
I’ve been looking at that, Halfords had it on offer for £350 (if I remember correctly) but it’s currently out of stock, they have the DR750X 2ch also on offer at £303 which I was thinking of buying, I was wondering if the rear one would sit on the shelf behind the roll hoops or would it be too low?

Edit
The DR750s 2ch was £250 not £350
Last edited by Chippie on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm
Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
I’ve been looking at that, Halfords had it on offer for £350 (if I remember correctly) but it’s currently out of stock, they have the DR750X 2ch also on offer at £303 which I was thinking of buying, I was wondering if the rear one would sit on the shelf behind the roll hoops or would it be too low?
Mick, the BMW dealer sent me this yesterday for rear mounting to see if I was happy if it looked like this but their master tech wasn’t as he said it was too untidy with the wires showing and they wouldn’t let it out the workshop like that on a brand new car so therefore won’t fit it :headbang:
Attachments
E2844015-48EC-4072-8D56-4F28371F8CB4.jpeg
E2844015-48EC-4072-8D56-4F28371F8CB4.jpeg (171.22 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Currently Zedless 5 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

User avatar
Chippie
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Wakefield

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:37 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm
Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm
Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
I’ve been looking at that, Halfords had it on offer for £350 (if I remember correctly) but it’s currently out of stock, they have the DR750X 2ch also on offer at £303 which I was thinking of buying, I was wondering if the rear one would sit on the shelf behind the roll hoops or would it be too low?
Mick, the BMW dealer sent me this yesterday for rear mounting to see if I was happy if it looked like this but their master tech wasn’t as he said it was too untidy with the wires showing and they wouldn’t let it out the workshop like that on a brand new car so therefore won’t fit it :headbang:
Thanks for that Andy
I don’t think it looks too unsightly, would probably have been better situated on the other side so the wire would have been better hidden by the passenger roll hoop
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:11 pm

Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:37 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm
Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm I’ve been looking at that, Halfords had it on offer for £350 (if I remember correctly) but it’s currently out of stock, they have the DR750X 2ch also on offer at £303 which I was thinking of buying, I was wondering if the rear one would sit on the shelf behind the roll hoops or would it be too low?
Mick, the BMW dealer sent me this yesterday for rear mounting to see if I was happy if it looked like this but their master tech wasn’t as he said it was too untidy with the wires showing and they wouldn’t let it out the workshop like that on a brand new car so therefore won’t fit it :headbang:
Thanks for that Andy
I don’t think it looks too unsightly, would probably have been better situated on the other side so the wire would have been better hidden by the passenger roll hoop
I don’t either but they’re not prepared to do it. I might suggest the opposite side to try and hide the wire as that’s what the tech had the issue with. If not I’ll speak to both Halfords and the firm I quoted earlier in the thread and see what they say. Would just have been much easier for me to get it fitted before I pick it up.
Currently Zedless 5 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

peng
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Dash cam

Post by peng » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm

I installed the Viofo A129 Duo two years ago, front & back. So far has been running like a charm.
I 3D printed a small stand with carbon PET-G for it, the cable disappears into the small hatch that is just under it. To do that I used a file to create a small notch in the latch. There are no cables visible anywhere.

Image

The stand was needed so that I can still 'look out' when the roof is closed. The stand & rear -cam are kept in place with 3M tape.

Image

Front cam is installed on the right of the mirror (LHD)

Image

User avatar
Chippie
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Wakefield

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:54 am

peng wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm I installed the Viofo A129 Duo two years ago, front & back. So far has been running like a charm.
I 3D printed a small stand with carbon PET-G for it, the cable disappears into the small hatch that is just under it. To do that I used a file to create a small notch in the latch. There are no cables visible anywhere.

Thank looks like a great solution for the rear camera :thumbsup:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

User avatar
Chippie
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Wakefield

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Bugger, Looks like I just missed out on a bargain the price has just gone up overnight from £303 to £379 :headbang:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Felixlamb
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Dash cam

Post by Felixlamb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:35 pm
Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
Felix, do you have any pictures of the rear one fitted. Still in discussions with bmw about fitting a rear one :thumbsup:
Hey, here you go:
I never remove the wind deflector so I'm not fussed with it being attached to it:
Image

Wire just goes down behind the seat where it is hidden away, and gets joined by the power wire, which is plugged into the centre console:
Image

Power and rear camera wires get shoved into the plastic covering, and come out and go straight into the seal that runs the whole way up to the top of the A pillar:
Image

Where it comes out, and is immediately shoved up the top of the windscreen:
Image

Which then plugs in to the front camera:
Image

As I said before, it's been there for probably 2 years now and hasn't budged a bit.

Hope this helps.

Felix
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Silverstar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Costa Del Sol

Dash cam

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am

Felixlamb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:35 pm
Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
Felix, do you have any pictures of the rear one fitted. Still in discussions with bmw about fitting a rear one :thumbsup:
Hey, here you go:
I never remove the wind deflector so I'm not fussed with it being attached to it:
Image

Wire just goes down behind the seat where it is hidden away, and gets joined by the power wire, which is plugged into the centre console:
Image

Power and rear camera wires get shoved into the plastic covering, and come out and go straight into the seal that runs the whole way up to the top of the A pillar:
Image

Where it comes out, and is immediately shoved up the top of the windscreen:
Image

Which then plugs in to the front camera:
Image

As I said before, it's been there for probably 2 years now and hasn't budged a bit.

Hope this helps.

Felix
If you never remove the wind deflector that mounting point is a good option but all those trailing / exposed wires would do my OCD in! :rofl:
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Costa Del Sol

Dash cam

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:45 am

peng wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm I installed the Viofo A129 Duo two years ago, front & back. So far has been running like a charm.
I 3D printed a small stand with carbon PET-G for it, the cable disappears into the small hatch that is just under it. To do that I used a file to create a small notch in the latch. There are no cables visible anywhere.

Image

The stand was needed so that I can still 'look out' when the roof is closed. The stand & rear -cam are kept in place with 3M tape.

Image

Front cam is installed on the right of the mirror (LHD)

Image
How has your Viofo been performing over the 2 years? I have the A119V3 and after some time I found the camera kept switching on and off all the time. Turns out with time the connection between the camera and the GPS base gets loose and hence the constant switching on and off.

Viofo customer service is great though, they immediately sent me a new camera and GPS base after I sent them a video of what was happening, they wanted the old camera back which was essentially ok if you didn't use the GPS base so I offered to pay them $30 to keep the camera so I could install in my other car which they accepted.

I fitted the new camera to the old GPS base and it worked fine for few months but now I am having the same issue, since they sent me a new GPS base I am going to replace it and see if it solves the problem. But I hope this time it lasts and I don't have an issue just outside of the warranty period!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am

Felixlamb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:35 pm
Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
Felix, do you have any pictures of the rear one fitted. Still in discussions with bmw about fitting a rear one :thumbsup:
Hey, here you go:
I never remove the wind deflector so I'm not fussed with it being attached to it:
Image

Wire just goes down behind the seat where it is hidden away, and gets joined by the power wire, which is plugged into the centre console:
Image

Power and rear camera wires get shoved into the plastic covering, and come out and go straight into the seal that runs the whole way up to the top of the A pillar:
Image

Where it comes out, and is immediately shoved up the top of the windscreen:
Image

Which then plugs in to the front camera:
Image

As I said before, it's been there for probably 2 years now and hasn't budged a bit.

Hope this helps.

Felix
Thanks for the pictures Felix, I hadn’t thought about mounting on the wind deflector either. Is it sturdy enough that there’s no image distortion because of vibration?
Currently Zedless 5 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

User avatar
Zulu4
Member
Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:22 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Dash cam

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am

birdy_z4 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm I’ve just fitted the dash cam below, seems good and a small size so looks good and seems to work well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
That looks small and neat.
Are you able to get power from the mirror/courtesy light area, or did you go all the way to the fusebox ?
2007 3.0si Auto M Sport Roadster. Whippy.

Post Reply