Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

30i Brake options

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Marekdawg

30i Brake options

Post by Marekdawg » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:48 pm

As the title may suggest, I'm looking at brake options for my Zed (not very knowledgeable around brakes).

Its come time to replace my disks and I wanted to know if there were some recommended upgrades or to just keep it stock with new discs.
Obviously I know around drilled and slotted (better cooling, response etc..), are they worth it?
I drive semi regularly (not with COVID so much) and do like to put the foot down, never really noticed any brake deterioration for what I do at least. Had some lovely blasts through the lake district and the peaks, out for the full day, but no tracking.

Is a full upgrade to bigger disks going to be super complicated and cost to match?

thoughts welcome!
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

Pbondar

30i Brake options

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:54 pm

The 30i has the same brakes as the 20i in most territories..300mm..some of us have fitted the 28i brakes 330mm rotors and calipers..which is a relatively easy mod..

A few have gone for exotic and expensive 4 pot Brembo style upgrades..

General consensus is the although not exotic the 300mm brakes are adequate for road use..

I fitted the 330mm dices but can’t say i noticed the improvement...

I guess if you repeatedly do hill descents or brake from over 120mph repeatedly, or track it there may be advantages to bigger brake systems..

Some people suggest that simply changing to Ferodo fast street pads is the most cost effective improvement..but not sexy..

Drill/slotted rotors generally are a non performance option for street use but may look cool..ish..

Other opinions are available and will be along soon..

Baza

30i Brake options

Post by Baza » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:56 pm

I have a 3.0i and went through the same thoughts when I wanted to replace discs/pads. In my case and I am sure it is the same for all S drive 3.0i the front discs are 330mm as standard and rear 300mm .after reading many posts and independent opinions I ruled out drilled /slotted discs as they seemed to offer little apart from street cred and in some cases also came with problems of cracking. If I were to go for drilled discs I would go for Tarrox costly but by all accounts one of the best. So I stuck to basically OEM specs Using ATE discs but did use ceramic pads on the front to eliminate some dust. and standard Pagit pads for the rear. one thing I did change was to go to Hel s/steel brake hoses which I believe give me a greater response time and no fade.But like in most things you ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. but for me my choice works.

The standard disc size works well and I also like to boot it when responsible and I have never been let down , Like I said consider s/steel hoses.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

engine killer

30i Brake options

Post by engine killer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am

as per my experience, i would say if you don't thrash you car or crazy downhill sprint, complete stock would be perfectly fine. of course braided brake lines will give you a more firmer and confidence feel, as they dont deform/expand under high pressure

Beeacon

30i Brake options

Post by Beeacon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:05 am

I was an idiot when buying brake pads and have a set of Stoptech Street Front Brake Pads going spare that should fit a 30i should you want them? My problem was that because they're American, their 35i has the same brakes as UK 30i.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=111993
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

mcbutler

30i Brake options

Post by mcbutler » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Waste of money going down the fancy disc/caliper route.
My indy has a guy working there who track races his cars regularly, i always ask him about any performance upgrades I am planning.
His comments on drilled discs are simply "NO", slotted "NO" brembo or similar big brake kits "NO" simply fit the Ferodo ds2500 pads, more than you will ever need on a 3.0....
People will not think they are sexy, but then anyone who thinks any part of a car is sexy needs professional help lol
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather