Android Dash Display Screen

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Post Reply
AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:30 pm

bmw665 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:20 am
After 9 pages of dialog, it sounds like many of you have found the issues but still seem positive. For all of us sideline readers, would you recommend it? Looking at the videos, there are a few things it doesn't do if you don't have iDrive
I suppose the main downside is that it doesn't do what iDrive does, it would have been a great product if it replicated exactly what the OEM system does after all it does have a canbus input.
I use mine every day, but to be fair I use it with Android Auto so I'm not actually using the screen to it's full extent. Sound quality is very good, although I'm sure a few audiophiles would say it's not up to much, but to be fair when your driving along with the roof down what on Earth are you going to expect from it?? :rofl: Seriously though the sound from it is very good but is limited only by how good your headunit system is in the first place.
Would I buy it if I already had iDrive?....... NO, there are other add-ons to get what I'd want out of it.
Would I buy it if I didn't have iDrive already?...... Ermmm I'd probably say yes simply because it does bring a lot of functionality that you simply don't have. Yes you can stick a tablet in the car but it would be a bit of a hash to sort it and this screen does fit really well and it does look OEM as opposed to something you've thrown together with some toilet rolls and sticky-backed-plastic!
It is costly, and to be honest I think it should be a lot less considering it's not exactly new technology (the actual tech side of it has been around for a number of years now).
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

IRD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by IRD » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm

My car didn’t have iDrive and I bought this when Dave organised a group buy. He fitted it for me too. I don’t use it’s full potential really, largely because I’m not very IT literate. However, I can play my music through it, connect my phone effectively, have access to Apple Car Play and have Sat Nav available. I also have DAB but Dave is researching aerials for me. The windscreen aerial I currently have fitted in not powered and reception is variable.
Overall I am happy with the product although it is somewhat expensive. Dave has been and continues to be very helpful and that Is what makes the difference for me. Without that help I would have been lost. :thumbsup:

bmw665
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:55 am

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by bmw665 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:21 am

Thank you both Dave and IRD for your response. I'd love to have all the iDrive features and a bigger screen for navigation but the install time and cost does seem like a lot.

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 am

As for fitting I have the installation video and I offer to fit as well.
Yes it is a lit of money and your access to the cars systems is limited to speed, revs, fuel, temp doors open etc, there is no access to things like service info or any of the connected BMW apps etc.

Photo attached I took the other evening.... I need to lower the brightness just a little so it's not quite so in your face, although the camera picked that up more than I noticed at the time.
Attachments
20190916_194533.jpg
20190916_194533.jpg (135.9 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:52 pm

And here is a shot showing the OEM PDC screen (not my Z4).
Shows up very nicely, I'll be changing my aftermarket rear sensors to front/rear OEM PDC in the coming months (as well as changing the reversing camera to a number plate centrally located one instead of the light position) and I'll upload it to my YouTube channel as a full How-To as well.
Attachments
20190914_151229.jpg
20190914_151229.jpg (151.35 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

Frankie169
Member
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 pm
Location: North Somerset

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by Frankie169 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm

I just want to say a massive thank you to Dave for fitting my android unit to my car this weekend, he is very professional in his approach to doing the install and did a faultless job, not only fitting the unit but also the cruise control and DAB radio unit, Dave is a massive asset to this forum, cant thank him enough :)
Toys: Z4 E89 35i in Blue / Ducati Multistrada 1260 DVT + love my watches

IRD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by IRD » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Frankie169 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm
I just want to say a massive thank you to Dave for fitting my android unit to my car this weekend, he is very professional in his approach to doing the install and did a faultless job, not only fitting the unit but also the cruise control and DAB radio unit, Dave is a massive asset to this forum, cant thank him enough :)
I would definitely second that observation. Great bloke. :thumbsup:

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by mcbutler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:24 pm

AnubisZed wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 am
As for fitting I have the installation video and I offer to fit as well.
Yes it is a lit of money and your access to the cars systems is limited to speed, revs, fuel, temp doors open etc, there is no access to things like service info or any of the connected BMW apps etc.

Photo attached I took the other evening.... I need to lower the brightness just a little so it's not quite so in your face, although the camera picked that up more than I noticed at the time.
For me this is a real issue, I like a completely dark cabin during night driving, especially on motorways. Can you turn the display off Dave?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

User avatar
enzed4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 am
Location: New Zealand

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by enzed4 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

I noticed a version of this with a non-reflective screen on Ali Express. Looked very good, but too many versions/options to know if it would be worth the risk, especially seeing how much effort AnubisZed has put into making the version in this thread viable.
Image
Current: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by mcbutler » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:19 am

enzed4 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am
I noticed a version of this with a non-reflective screen on Ali Express. Looked very good, but too many versions/options to know if it would be worth the risk, especially seeing how much effort AnubisZed has put into making the version in this thread viable.
agreed, so many versions of android, processor etc. I guess whichever you buy it’ll be old hat tech in 12 months anyway! I will keep my dinosaur OEM for now. 👍
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Frankie169 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm
I just want to say a massive thank you to Dave for fitting my android unit to my car this weekend, he is very professional in his approach to doing the install and did a faultless job, not only fitting the unit but also the cruise control and DAB radio unit, Dave is a massive asset to this forum, cant thank him enough :)
IRD wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Frankie169 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm
I just want to say a massive thank you to Dave for fitting my android unit to my car this weekend, he is very professional in his approach to doing the install and did a faultless job, not only fitting the unit but also the cruise control and DAB radio unit, Dave is a massive asset to this forum, cant thank him enough :)
I would definitely second that observation. Great bloke. :thumbsup:
Thanks guys :oops: I love "tinkering" in this sort of field, although I like the mechanics as well I prefer this side of cars, oh and driving them :driving: :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm

mcbutler wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:19 am
enzed4 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am
I noticed a version of this with a non-reflective screen on Ali Express. Looked very good, but too many versions/options to know if it would be worth the risk, especially seeing how much effort AnubisZed has put into making the version in this thread viable.
agreed, so many versions of android, processor etc. I guess whichever you buy it’ll be old hat tech in 12 months anyway! I will keep my dinosaur OEM for now. 👍
Yes they have brought out newer updated versions now. If you were to buy one then I'd suggest going Android 9.1 with the 6 core processor and 4gb RAM, that would give you the top spec.
Personally I would still have one in another Z4, but if it had the full iDrive package already installed then there is a add-on box you can buy that is plug-n-play with iDrive and gives you the most used features like reversing camera (integrated with PDC) and the ability to connect to your phone for either Apple Carplay or Android Auto. This way you keep your folding screen and all OEM quality components.

As for night-time driving, as I use Android Auto most of the time it displays a DarkMode screen so is OK on the eye, this is the same if I use sat-nav from my phone (well it is the same for the on screen sat-nav apps as well). You can turn the screen off if you want to though.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

User avatar
Tinker15
Member
Member
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:42 pm
Location: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by Tinker15 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm

And his cruise control fitting is excellent! 👍
Image
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by mcbutler » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:57 pm

AnubisZed wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm
mcbutler wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:19 am
enzed4 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am
I noticed a version of this with a non-reflective screen on Ali Express. Looked very good, but too many versions/options to know if it would be worth the risk, especially seeing how much effort AnubisZed has put into making the version in this thread viable.
agreed, so many versions of android, processor etc. I guess whichever you buy it’ll be old hat tech in 12 months anyway! I will keep my dinosaur OEM for now. 👍
Yes they have brought out newer updated versions now. If you were to buy one then I'd suggest going Android 9.1 with the 6 core processor and 4gb RAM, that would give you the top spec.
Personally I would still have one in another Z4, but if it had the full iDrive package already installed then there is a add-on box you can buy that is plug-n-play with iDrive and gives you the most used features like reversing camera (integrated with PDC) and the ability to connect to your phone for either Apple Carplay or Android Auto. This way you keep your folding screen and all OEM quality components.

As for night-time driving, as I use Android Auto most of the time it displays a DarkMode screen so is OK on the eye, this is the same if I use sat-nav from my phone (well it is the same for the on screen sat-nav apps as well). You can turn the screen off if you want to though.
Can you put a link up to this plug n play module Dave, you have peeked my interest
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Android Dash Display Screen

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm

mcbutler wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:57 pm
AnubisZed wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm
mcbutler wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:19 am
agreed, so many versions of android, processor etc. I guess whichever you buy it’ll be old hat tech in 12 months anyway! I will keep my dinosaur OEM for now. 👍
Yes they have brought out newer updated versions now. If you were to buy one then I'd suggest going Android 9.1 with the 6 core processor and 4gb RAM, that would give you the top spec.
Personally I would still have one in another Z4, but if it had the full iDrive package already installed then there is a add-on box you can buy that is plug-n-play with iDrive and gives you the most used features like reversing camera (integrated with PDC) and the ability to connect to your phone for either Apple Carplay or Android Auto. This way you keep your folding screen and all OEM quality components.

As for night-time driving, as I use Android Auto most of the time it displays a DarkMode screen so is OK on the eye, this is the same if I use sat-nav from my phone (well it is the same for the on screen sat-nav apps as well). You can turn the screen off if you want to though.
Can you put a link up to this plug n play module Dave, you have peeked my interest
Sorry Mark I missed this post.....
Here you go...
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?p ... =16&page=1
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

Post Reply