Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
User avatar
Stuartt
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 pm
Location: Southend Essex

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by Stuartt » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi any recommendations on dash cams, just after so thing with a small footprint that can just sit there and get on with it.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 924
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by mcbutler » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Dude just buy from Halfords for the fitted price, only takes them half an hour and they do a cracking job.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

PHILGZ4
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by PHILGZ4 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

greg81 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:00 pm
Co
PHILGZ4 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 pm
greg81 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:19 pm
All done. For anyone else who might read this I tapped into fuse 8 which is for the the cigratte lighter. Camera comes on with the ignition now.

Thanks again for the advice, and yes that fuse box is a massive ballache to shifty around!!
Got sick of the Halfords stupidity so i have bought the hardwire kit, micro piggyback fuse so i am going to attempt the install tomorrow. just to double check that if i use fuse 8 this is the one for when i turn the ignition on/off?. Was it easy to do?. Dont want to blow up anything!!!. thanks.phil
Correct, fuse 8 is for the cigarette lighter so on/off with ignition.

Unfortunately the hardest part of the whole process was wrangling the fusebox. It's in a terrible position and i found it really hard to get in and out

Good luck!
See what you meant about the fuse box!. This may sound stupid but does the cigarette lighter have power at all times?. i tried the the Cig lighter attachment first and even with the ignition off the dash cam stayed on?. dont want to hardwire it and it drains my battery?, thanks.

User avatar
Beeacon
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:07 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by Beeacon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Fuse 8 - cig lighter is only on with ignition. The footwell lighting fuse is always live.
Current: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

greg81
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by greg81 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Dashcam running on battery?

User avatar
step_change
Member
Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:21 pm
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by step_change » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm

greg81 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 pm
Dashcam running on battery?
That'll be fun when you get home to the airport from being away for the week, to find the battery flat.
I always come off of a switched live - i.e. fuse 8 in the Z4.
Image
Current: 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

greg81
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by greg81 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 pm

step_change wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm
greg81 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 pm
Dashcam running on battery?
That'll be fun when you get home to the airport from being away for the week, to find the battery flat.
I always come off of a switched live - i.e. fuse 8 in the Z4.
That was in response to poster asking why it was still on after ignition off on fuse 8 - internal dashcam battery

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm

PHILGZ4 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am
See what you meant about the fuse box!. This may sound stupid but does the cigarette lighter have power at all times?. i tried the the Cig lighter attachment first and even with the ignition off the dash cam stayed on?. dont want to hardwire it and it drains my battery?, thanks.
The cigar lighter socket on the e89 is only fed via the ignition.
As above use Fuse 8 for the dashcam normal power and if you have parking guard then wire that to fuse 77.

My cam with the Parking Guard is voltage dependent (you can set this via the Parking Guard box), thus if it's parked for some time and the battery level gets too low then it'll shut itself down. Certainly the way mine works is that it'll be on all the time but in low power mode and be recording in timelapse mode until it detects a bump then it'll save the footage properly.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

PHILGZ4
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by PHILGZ4 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:41 pm

AnubisZed wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm
PHILGZ4 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am
See what you meant about the fuse box!. This may sound stupid but does the cigarette lighter have power at all times?. i tried the the Cig lighter attachment first and even with the ignition off the dash cam stayed on?. dont want to hardwire it and it drains my battery?, thanks.
The cigar lighter socket on the e89 is only fed via the ignition.
As above use Fuse 8 for the dashcam normal power and if you have parking guard then wire that to fuse 77.

My cam with the Parking Guard is voltage dependent (you can set this via the Parking Guard box), thus if it's parked for some time and the battery level gets too low then it'll shut itself down. Certainly the way mine works is that it'll be on all the time but in low power mode and be recording in timelapse mode until it detects a bump then it'll save the footage properly.
Thanks for that. I also just noticed this was a feed for the E89. i have a e85/86 model but think its still fuse 7 but not sure if its fed via the ignition. I emailed Nextbase and they mentioned the parking guard and will cut off.

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:49 pm

PHILGZ4 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:41 pm
AnubisZed wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm
PHILGZ4 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am
See what you meant about the fuse box!. This may sound stupid but does the cigarette lighter have power at all times?. i tried the the Cig lighter attachment first and even with the ignition off the dash cam stayed on?. dont want to hardwire it and it drains my battery?, thanks.
The cigar lighter socket on the e89 is only fed via the ignition.
As above use Fuse 8 for the dashcam normal power and if you have parking guard then wire that to fuse 77.

My cam with the Parking Guard is voltage dependent (you can set this via the Parking Guard box), thus if it's parked for some time and the battery level gets too low then it'll shut itself down. Certainly the way mine works is that it'll be on all the time but in low power mode and be recording in timelapse mode until it detects a bump then it'll save the footage properly.
Thanks for that. I also just noticed this was a feed for the E89. i have a e85/86 model but think its still fuse 7 but not sure if its fed via the ignition. I emailed Nextbase and they mentioned the parking guard and will cut off.
On the e85 the cigar lighter is live all the time.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

PHILGZ4
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by PHILGZ4 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:53 pm

AnubisZed wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:49 pm
PHILGZ4 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:41 pm
AnubisZed wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm
The cigar lighter socket on the e89 is only fed via the ignition.
As above use Fuse 8 for the dashcam normal power and if you have parking guard then wire that to fuse 77.

My cam with the Parking Guard is voltage dependent (you can set this via the Parking Guard box), thus if it's parked for some time and the battery level gets too low then it'll shut itself down. Certainly the way mine works is that it'll be on all the time but in low power mode and be recording in timelapse mode until it detects a bump then it'll save the footage properly.
Thanks for that. I also just noticed this was a feed for the E89. i have a e85/86 model but think its still fuse 7 but not sure if its fed via the ignition. I emailed Nextbase and they mentioned the parking guard and will cut off.
On the e85 the cigar lighter is live all the time.
which fuse would you say is best?

AnubisZed
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:35 pm

PHILGZ4 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:53 pm
which fuse would you say is best?
Take a look at the 12th post on this thread, it should help you....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104224&hilit=Bluetooth&start=15
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather.
8)

E89 Cruise Control Fitting >> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107989

PHILGZ4
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by PHILGZ4 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Great, thanks for the link and wiki attempt this at the weekend

Silverstar
Member
Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by Silverstar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:56 am

Beeacon wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:15 pm
Phil,

I went through this same issue just after Christmas, on the thread below I've said which fuses I use. They have worked great for me so far.

Fuse 8 - Cigarette lighter - on w/ ignition
Fuse 77 - Interior lighting - Always on

VIOFO A129 Duo dashcam with parking guard 3 wire hardwire kit (switches from full recording down to low-frame rate recording when ignition is off).

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=111268

Beeacon.
I have just ordered the Viofo dash cam and about to order the hardwire kit, but what type of wire fuse tap do I need? What type of fuses are fuse numbers 8 and 77, micro or mini? or something else? anyone remember?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

User avatar
Beeacon
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:07 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Wiring a dashcam - e89 specific

Post by Beeacon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Current: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Post Reply