Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cruise control retrofit

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ben_Rayne

Cruise control retrofit

Post by Ben_Rayne » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 pm

Hello everyone

I am having issues retrofitting cruise control to my 2011 bmw z4 35is.

I tried one set of stalks and kindly had the car coded by a forum member called Dave. This didn't work so we assumed the stalk to be faulty so ordered another set, 're installed and still no luck. As they had been swapped over the usual traction and tyre warning lights come on.

This is deeply frustrating as the car has been coded and Dave followed the identical steps that he done when installing on his ow z. If anyone can provide any help we'd greatly appreciate it.

clarker63

Cruise control retrofit

Post by clarker63 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm

I got stuck there too and it was due to the fsw_psw.trc‏ being named wrong... here's the post I did in the original thread.

Restart NCS expert as before, load profile, f1, f3, choose chassis/module (cas), back. That should have written the full car trace file fsw_psw.trc‏ to the ncsexpert/work folder. I renamed my fsw_psw.trc‏ file to .man (because the man file was empty - that was the problem all along).

Following the instructions again - the job was already SG_CODEIREN, the guide says push "F4 process car" and wait. For a start its F3, not F4, I wasn't sure which was right but it is F3 "process car", then F1 "code car" - this isn't mentioned in the guide at all. Then you have to wait while the coding runs which takes a little while. Lights and gongs go off, and eventually I got an error in CABD, (as I have seen others get), but this seems to be ok (so far). Other's have said to code the DSC unit rather than the whole car, but I'm not sure how to select it individually. The whole NCS Expert is very user unfriendly (and I'm no expert!). I have no idea what really is going on, it was just trial and (mainly) error. :headbang:

The guide then says to run DIS to reset the steering angle sensor , this took me ages because DIS runs on a VM and I couldn't set the VMware network properties so I had to reinstall XP. Plus DIS takes a long time to actually get to the bit to reset it (and its very vague in the guide on what to do). Dont do that - as other people have said, just use Tools32, load the module (DSC_89 in my case), and then double click the 'lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen' (quite a way down in the first list box). the lights WILL GO OFF AND STAY OFF!. :thumbsup:
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Phoenixboy

Cruise control retrofit

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:05 pm

clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm I got stuck there too and it was due to the fsw_psw.trc‏ being named wrong... here's the post I did in the original thread.

Restart NCS expert as before, load profile, f1, f3, choose chassis/module (cas), back. That should have written the full car trace file fsw_psw.trc‏ to the ncsexpert/work folder. I renamed my fsw_psw.trc‏ file to .man (because the man file was empty - that was the problem all along).

Following the instructions again - the job was already SG_CODEIREN, the guide says push "F4 process car" and wait. For a start its F3, not F4, I wasn't sure which was right but it is F3 "process car", then F1 "code car" - this isn't mentioned in the guide at all. Then you have to wait while the coding runs which takes a little while. Lights and gongs go off, and eventually I got an error in CABD, (as I have seen others get), but this seems to be ok (so far). Other's have said to code the DSC unit rather than the whole car, but I'm not sure how to select it individually. The whole NCS Expert is very user unfriendly (and I'm no expert!). I have no idea what really is going on, it was just trial and (mainly) error. :headbang:

The guide then says to run DIS to reset the steering angle sensor , this took me ages because DIS runs on a VM and I couldn't set the VMware network properties so I had to reinstall XP. Plus DIS takes a long time to actually get to the bit to reset it (and its very vague in the guide on what to do). Dont do that - as other people have said, just use Tools32, load the module (DSC_89 in my case), and then double click the 'lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen' (quite a way down in the first list box). the lights WILL GO OFF AND STAY OFF!. :thumbsup:
off topic, sorry, but am sure I saw your car going past my work in marsh barton Exeter recently.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

clarker63

Cruise control retrofit

Post by clarker63 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Could be! I'm not normally that side of town as I work near the airport and come down the M5 from Willand near Tiverton.. I've not spotted you yet though. There's not too many Z4 E89's around these parts!

Phoenixboy

Cruise control retrofit

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm

clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:10 pm Could be! I'm not normally that side of town as I work near the airport and come down the M5 from Willand near Tiverton.. I've not spotted you yet though. There's not too many Z4 E89's around these parts!
no, we are rare in the south west.
I normally head south from Exeter on my drives, although have been up to west bay a few times.
will keep my eyes peeled :)
saying that there are some decent runs up to north devon which I used to do on the motorbikes, like bude, minehead etc, but have yet to do them in the z.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

AnubisZed

Cruise control retrofit

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 pm

clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm I got stuck there too and it was due to the fsw_psw.trc‏ being named wrong... here's the post I did in the original thread.

There is a thread in the e89 How-To section by myself where I have posted an up to date How-To for the Cruise Control. This has been brought together with all the available information from a number of sources because not one guide is complete.
When I did my car it was done following loads of research into the subject and following running some other retrofits so all of the info was brought together in one place. Temporarily the How-To has been taken down as I've discovered that two pieces of info were missing, so I'll place it back up once I've done this along with some new screen shots.
Meanwhile this was the guide (along with the missing detail) that was used on Ben's Z and I followed it and did everything exactly the same as I'd done to my own Z, but nothing is being displayed in the screen and it's not working. The trc (man) file has taken correctly (as I've checked it) and the VO is showing $544 as it should. So everything has gone through correctly, it just doesn't work :headbang:
Ben is very nicely coming to see me again tomorrow so I can have another stab at it and try a couple of ideas out.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Pbondar

Cruise control retrofit

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 pm

There is a thread in the e89 How-To section by myself where I have posted an up to date How-To for the Cruise Control. This has been brought together with all the available information from a number of sources because not one guide is complete.
When I did my car it was done following loads of research into the subject and following running some other retrofits so all of the info was brought together in one place. Temporarily the How-To has been taken down as I've discovered that two pieces of info were missing, so I'll place it back up once I've done this along with some new screen shots.
Meanwhile this was the guide (along with the missing detail) that was used on Ben's Z and I followed it and did everything exactly the same as I'd done to my own Z, but nothing is being displayed in the screen and it's not working. The trc (man) file has taken correctly (as I've checked it) and the VO is showing $544 as it should. So everything has gone through correctly, it just doesn't work :headbang:
Ben is very nicely coming to see me again tomorrow so I can have another stab at it and try a couple of ideas out.
You guys should work for NASA or GCHQ! Respect! :thumbsup:

Umfaan

Cruise control retrofit

Post by Umfaan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 pm

..........These men are using " PFM "...........................Pure f***ing Magic... :rofl:

mcbutler

Cruise control retrofit

Post by mcbutler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm
clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:10 pm Could be! I'm not normally that side of town as I work near the airport and come down the M5 from Willand near Tiverton.. I've not spotted you yet though. There's not too many Z4 E89's around these parts!
no, we are rare in the south west.
I normally head south from Exeter on my drives, although have been up to west bay a few times.
will keep my eyes peeled :)
saying that there are some decent runs up to north devon which I used to do on the motorbikes, like bude, minehead etc, but have yet to do them in the z.
Rare in the South West, are you sure, not in Plymouth, including mine there were 3 in my gym car park this morning, another white one parked outside the tanning salon on the way home and then I passed one in the multi storey this evening!
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

AnubisZed

Cruise control retrofit

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 pm You guys should work for NASA or GCHQ! Respect! :thumbsup:
Umfaan wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 pm ..........These men are using " PFM "...........................Pure f***ing Magic... :rofl:
:rofl: :thumbsup:
Dave

AnubisZed

Cruise control retrofit

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 pm
OK all sorted :thumbsup:
Firstly sorry Ben for messing you around :cry:
As for the coding, well even I can make a mistake!! :headbang: I had a nagging feeling that I hadn't checked the VO code correctly and it turns out I hadn't! Checked it and $540 was in instead of $544. Now this is a very easy mistake to make (no excuses here though) so for anyone doing this, check and check again.
All rectified and now working perfectly :roll:
Dave

clarker63

Cruise control retrofit

Post by clarker63 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Easily done! It's a relief when everything finally starts working!

tintoverano

Cruise control retrofit

Post by tintoverano » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm

following AnubisZed's excellent guide (thanks!!) checked the cable and software today
tomorrow doing it
wish me luck :)
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

AnubisZed

Cruise control retrofit

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:29 pm

tintoverano wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm following AnubisZed's excellent guide (thanks!!) checked the cable and software today
tomorrow doing it
wish me luck :)
Best of luck bud.
Although I'm at work tomorrow I'm in the control room so will be available on here if you've got any questions :D :rofl:
Dave

tintoverano

Cruise control retrofit

Post by tintoverano » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:35 pm

I hope I won't need to disturb you, thank you
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD