Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 4 pot or 6?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by sunnydays » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:24 am

For under £1000 you can give the 35i / is circa 450bhp with MHD Stage 2, around that power they should be mid 12 second cars easily.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by Nanu » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:24 pm

[/quote]

All I can quote is real life experience not theory, E86 is a better handling car than E89 from factory no question on that - the E89 from factory is quite sloppy, with poor suspension and RFT.
[/quote]

Not quite true either. Some e89 models it may be, but add the adaptive sports suspension and it transforms the handling of an e89, RF's and all.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Twin Turbo

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 am

Nanu wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:24 pm
All I can quote is real life experience not theory, E86 is a better handling car than E89 from factory no question on that - the E89 from factory is quite sloppy, with poor suspension and RFT.
[/quote]

Not quite true either. Some e89 models it may be, but add the adaptive sports suspension and it transforms the handling of an e89, RF's and all.
[/quote]

Seriously!

What are you using as an base line, have you driven an E89 with an adaptive suspension on a track, 35is really needs an LSD to become a weapon. To take advantage of its power an torque.

Have you driven any car with adaptive suspension on track compared to a car with coilovers

Twin Turbo

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:16 am

sunnydays wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:24 am For under £1000 you can give the 35i / is circa 450bhp with MHD Stage 2, around that power they should be mid 12 second cars easily.
Getting power down is the big issue doing the quarter mile, my 2 ltr beet numerous 400+ bhp cars from a standing start. I drive now a just shy of 400bhp BMW, and getting power-down is much more difficult, and launch control is not that effective - doing it manually is a more effective launch technique.

However, its a rolling start, very different storey, the 35is stock or modified would be a starship enterprise and make any modified N20 look underpowered.

Over 70mph a stock 35i or 35is would pull away from any modified N20, again this is based on real-life experience.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by Nanu » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Twin Turbo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 am
[/quote]

Seriously!

What are you using as an base line, have you driven an E89 with an adaptive suspension on a track, 35is really needs an LSD to become a weapon. To take advantage of its power an torque.

Have you driven any car with adaptive suspension on track compared to a car with coilovers
[/quote]

In a word yes or maybe (Don't even know what they are to be honest). but Aston Martin DBS, Ferrari 360 and Audi R8 on track day also Corvette Stingray and a Lambo from Vegas to the Grand Canyon) I don't know which ones have or have not "Coilovers" but I think its a fair range of half decent cars. Add to that advanced driver and several courses with the military on high speed pursuit and evasive driving and whilst not an expert, it's not a bad driving CV.

But the point is I don't drive mine on a track I drive on UK roads. If I wanted a track car I would have bought one for that job.
After 3 Z4s of varying degrees of power with and without adaptive suspension I think I am OK to judge between them.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Twin Turbo

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 pm
Twin Turbo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 am
Seriously!

[/quote]

In a word yes or maybe (Don't even know what they are to be honest). but Aston Martin DBS, Ferrari 360 and Audi R8 on track day also Corvette Stingray and a Lambo from Vegas to the Grand Canyon) I don't know which ones have or have not "Coilovers" but I think its a fair range of half decent cars. Add to that advanced driver and several courses with the military on high speed pursuit and evasive driving and whilst not an expert, it's not a bad driving CV.

But the point is I don't drive mine on a track I drive on UK roads. If I wanted a track car I would have bought one for that job.
After 3 Z4s of varying degrees of power with and without adaptive suspension, I think I am OK to judge between them.
[/quote]

Yes a good pedigree, and driving CV.

But this topic about handling is quite subjective, driving on uk roads even to an beyond legal limits your only using 6/10 of the car, only when you able to drive to the extreme level of either car or driver you really notice a difference. I have a few friends who work for the police force and received appropriate training, and their technique is quite different, and similar technique used for advanced drivers.

Understanding the physics of driving, and weight distribution is a valuable knowledge, which is covered under the advance driving as my understanding.

The question is how hard do you drive, and push the car - and doing it safely in a 35is un UK roads is going to be difficult. When you have taken your car on track, you will learn a lot about your own skill and also the limitations of the car in a safe and controlled environment. And after you have to do this, you can transfer that knowledge onto uk roads if and when you desire.

I still stand by my comments and took offence been called a lair, as reading most motoring articles make similar statements. Since I have different driving experiences, and make statements on based on those experiences, doe not make me a lair.

R.E92

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by R.E92 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 am

Twin Turbo wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm Well, I was after a challenge anyone with a 35i/35is stock or modified and take them head to head - but no one fancied to take me on from this forum. However, every Z4 I played with, were unable to keep up. Especially no B roads.
I don't think you can claim to have the fastest Z4 in the UK just because nobody wanted to race on public roads with you. I think most here are mature enough to enjoy their cars without wanting to race every other person on the road.

Twin Turbo

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by Twin Turbo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 am
Twin Turbo wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm Well, I was after a challenge anyone with a 35i/35is stock or modified and take them head to head - but no one fancied to take me on from this forum. However, every Z4 I played with, were unable to keep up. Especially no B roads.
I don't think you can claim to have the fastest Z4 in the UK just because nobody wanted to race on public roads with you. I think most here are mature enough to enjoy their cars without wanting to race every other person on the road.
My comments of "fastest Z4" is purely :fuelfire: and baiting 35i/35is owners. As there is quite a lot of pretentiousness comments from straight 6 owners about the N20 engine.

However as mentioned before I am now a N55 owner, waiting for my time to return back into an Z of some form. Within the next couple of years.

And I do not race anything on the road, there is a time and a place, and doing track days is a great learning experience especially if you have tution.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

E89 4 pot or 6?

Post by Nanu » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Twin Turbo wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 pm
Nanu wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 pm
Twin Turbo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 am All I can quote is real life experience not theory, E86 is a better handling car than E89 from factory no question on that - the E89 from factory is quite sloppy, with poor suspension and RFT.
Seriously!

After 3 Z4s of varying degrees of power with and without adaptive suspension, I think I am OK to judge between them.
[/quote]

Yes a good pedigree, and driving CV.

But this topic about handling is quite subjective, driving on uk roads even to an beyond legal limits your only using 6/10 of the car, only when you able to drive to the extreme level of either car or driver you really notice a difference. I have a few friends who work for the police force and received appropriate training, and their technique is quite different, and similar technique used for advanced drivers.

Understanding the physics of driving, and weight distribution is a valuable knowledge, which is covered under the advance driving as my understanding.

The question is how hard do you drive, and push the car - and doing it safely in a 35is un UK roads is going to be difficult. When you have taken your car on track, you will learn a lot about your own skill and also the limitations of the car in a safe and controlled environment. And after you have to do this, you can transfer that knowledge onto uk roads if and when you desire.

I still stand by my comments and took offence been called a lair, as reading most motoring articles make similar statements. Since I have different driving experiences, and make statements on based on those experiences, doe not make me a lair.
[/quote]

Please point out the comment where I called you a liar?

In addition I agree with you on the Police advanced driving bit which is a lot different to the civvi advanced course, I know as it was the Police one I passed. Also agree with the subjective nature of the opinion, hence the CV and experience I have does qualify me to at least have an opinion. Should anyone disagree then that's fine by me. I respect other peoples opinion.

I am not bothered how my 35is handles on a track as I have no intention of driving it on a track but I do know the difference when on a road between a non adaptive suspension Z4 and a one with it.

Apologies to anyone offended and thats the last comment from me.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White