Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cheapest insurance provider if you've got points on license

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
JayT

Cheapest insurance provider if you've got points on license

Post by JayT » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:14 am

Hi all
I'm looking for insurance for my Z4 i've just bought but have 10 point on my license and the cheapest quote i've found so far is around £2500 through Elephant and Admiral.

Any suggestion on where else i should try to get it any cheaper???

Cheers
Jay
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i SE Roadster **SOLD**
2007 Porsche Cayman S

ClareS

Re: Cheapest insurance provider if you've got points on license

Post by ClareS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:31 am

Churchill were great for me - I have 3 points and so does my husband (also on the insurance). It cost £450 for the year, but I do have 7 years no claims and of course I'm a 'careful lady driver' :rofl:
Montego blue Z4 3.0 sport coupe with champagne leather & piano black trim

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 am

JayT wrote:Hi all
I'm looking for insurance for my Z4 i've just bought but have 10 point on my license and the cheapest quote i've found so far is around £2500 through Elephant and Admiral.

Any suggestion on where else i should try to get it any cheaper???

Cheers
Jay
There are a lot of factors involved in insurance quotes, not just points. Things like what were the points for etc as well as the usual factors such as age, how long you've been driving a powerful car, postcode, no claims etc... all these factors come together so it is impossible to recommend a particular insurer based purely on points. You could be 18yo with 10 points or 50yo with 10 points and the best insurance company may be different.

Try giving Chris Knott a ring, as they don't come up on the price comparison sites so you may be surprised. They beat all my other quotes, but then again I don't have points. Worth a phone call though.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:40 am

Hmm, my wife's SP30 for the hideous crime of 36 in a 30 zone, added £200 to my insurance 3 years ago (the insurance itself was £380 at the time, so £200 was a lot extra). I dropped her off my insurance and re-added her after 4 years. She then reduced my premium by £150 a year.

That was Churchill by the way.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

rkdavid

Post by rkdavid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Churchill seems to be one of the cheaper insurances. I think it's not the right way to penalize "crimes" like pvr mentioned in the post above via the insurance costs. It doesn't make any sense to me. For example, German car insurances don't have such a scheme and nevertheless it's working out fine. 10 points are too much to get insurance at reasonable cost, you have to live with a decent premium.